Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 00:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

It's very simple, really. We don't keep that much in the house that would actually tempt someone (6-year-olds can eat all kinds of junk no one else would want to touch ). Additionally, when there is something 'tempting' we just ignore it until it goes away, which it always does.

To top all that, though, I think about what I'll feel like if I eat something I shouldn't, AND think about the weight lost so far and I don't want to lose that progress.

My husband's dad passed away a couple of days ago and we had the funeral today. It was so hurried no one had time to prepare anything to eat. There was a table full of crap: tortilla chips, macaroni salad, potato salad, hot dogs, buns, cupcakes, cookies, and just about everything you can imagine that a person doesn't eat on LC. I got myself a plate, threw on a wiener, found some mustard and dill relish (unsweetened kind), then dug around until I found a little cottage cheese. I looked at my plate and thought, 'No wonder everyone thinks those of us on Atkins eat nothing but eggs and bacon.'

Later on, the mom-in-law dug some breaded fish out of the fridge and heated it in the microwave. I cleaned the breading off and ate that. I've found that after months of eating like this, the lure of all that other garbage just doesn't last for more than an instant. And if I give in in that instant, especially in front of a lot of family members who "just can't live without 'their' bread, potatoes or whatever", I'm just giving some of them what they want, and I'm just too rebellious to do that.

Now hopefully at least part of that made sense. I am a bit rummy tonight--too many nights, not enough sleep.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:33

Stats: 161/151.5/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 37%

I am a SAHM to 3 kids (8, 4, & 3) girl,boy,girl. I used to work in an office before I had kids & weighed around 200 lbs because i was always eating from the vending machine. There was always a meeting with sandwiches, or bagels. There were also so many desserts brought in for every occasion that it made it impossible for me..not to mention the candy on desks.

Now I have been home for almost 5 years...It is very hard to stay out of the kitchen & snack when my kiddies are eating non-LC things.

I have...

1-Joined a gym. I go at 5:30 before everyone wakes up. I tried to do it at night but it's just to hectic here. So far that is working.

2-Clean my house. If I find that I am about to eat something bad for me (usually one bite results in a 3 day binge for me ) I go clean something. I go reorganize my closets, clean the bathroom, anything that will distract me from ths kitchen.

3-I keep two pictures handy. One is when I was at my lowest weight last year (138 lbs). I did weight watchers but I couldn't stay on it because I was too hungry. The other is a horrible one of me at about 200. I keep those images in my mind & that helps.

Good luck,
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 07:42
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

I am a stay-at-home-stepmom of all things. I homeschool my 16 year old stepdaughter, who is quite lovely and it is not a hardship at all.

She is very easy to get along with (can you believe that of a teenager?) and eats what is here.

My husband, who definitely is fit and does NOT need to lose weight, has been eating Atkins with me (I give him extra carbs). But, he hasn't been eating any sugar, grains or starchy vegetables. His allergies have improved dramatically. Now he doesn't even WANT the other things, because of how good he feels. Also, we were both having problems with wheat (gas, bloating) and that is totally gone.

It's just the three of us here, so I have completely cleaned the house of sugar, grains, etc.

This has made DH's lunches a little harder to pack. I send homemade meat and veggie soup, tuna/chicken/ham salad, or leftovers. He says he likes all that better now than when he ate sandwiches everyday.

I couldn't have a more supportive family! God is good.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:02

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am a sahm of 3, 10 yr old daughter, and 8 and 5 year old boys. The older 2 are in reg. school and my baby is in pre-school. I have my own cabinet with legitimate snacks for myself and another for the kids. Though I have cut out alot of their junky high carb snacks and replaced them with healthier snacks (string cheese, pickles, no sugar added applesauce, yougurt..etc), they are all slim so I do not LOW carb their diet. I still have times where its hard to stay out of the kitchen, I try to distract myself, drink some water, and if I cant, I have a lc snack. I finally started exercising again, and that definitely helps the craving snacks.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:13

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I am a SAHM of three kids a 6, 11 and 16 year old. I get along great with my 16 year old also. In fact she is very supportive of me even though she only weighs 108 at 5'6. She doesn't know what it is like to have to lose weight. She does try to gain though.
I only eat three times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I start to snack I want to eat all day, so I don't start. I am not hungry between meals thanks to ketosis, sometimes with the kids not being home I forget to eat lunch, so sometimes I don't eat my lunch until they get home from school. On days, usually around TOM, that I want to eat stuff I can't, I do what others said they do which is clean clean clean. I also have some hobbies to keep me busy, I sew some of my kids clothes, except the oldest, she makes her own, and right now I am learning to make stained glass, not the paint kind but the real kind. This is especially helpful, because once I start time flies really fast. Also it is a project that is just hard to put down for just a few minutes to eat. Maybe you should try a hobbie that you have been wanting to learn, but just haven't yet. Maybe a musical instrument, or craft something of the like. You never know. Have you thought of volunteering at your child's school. That keeps me busy also. One tough weeks like around TOM offer more time there.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:37

Stats: 226/189/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 41%

I am a work at home mom (dubbed from the wahm website) who only works part-time over the internet. I work while my 3 1/2-year-old is at preschool and after he has gone to bed.

I was actually telling my MIL that I believe this diet is so much easier for me because I am in control of everything that is purchased and brought into the house and everything that is cooked also. I rarely have to face the dilemma of where to eat out and can make some awesome dishes for dinner! Staying at home has definitely made it harder to cheat with things like nuts in terms of just never having them around to be tempted with.

My son does still eat sugary snacks and carbs with meals, but I honestly and truly just do not crave them.

Another bonus is that I start work after 8:00 p.m., so at those times when I would usually get the snack bug, I work doing typing for the rest of the night, which keeps my hands very busy and I drink water non-stop until bedtime.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:12

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Well I am not a mother...but have recently been through a work force reduction and now home 24/7! I thought this would be a complete sabatoge to my Atkins WOE, afraid the boredom would be my undoing, but have found that now that I have all this extra time I am staying busy catching up on all the household projects that I needed to complete, job hunting, lurking on this forum etc! Actually I amazed that I am not snacking at all, I worked overnights so my eating times were really screwed up, not that I am on a normal persons schedule it is much easier to control eating.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:13
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm a stay at home Mommy too. I have 2 boys. One is 10 yrs old the other will be 2 yrs old tomorrow.

I know staying at home as made this WOE so much easier for me. I love this WOL.

Cheers,
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:30

Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%

I am also a stay home mom to my 5 and 2 years olds. I have a separate cabinet for there bread and other snacks and I actually have no desire to eat that stuff. However, I have to be VERY strong when I make them mac-n-cheese. (that has always been my favorite food!) But I know if I only have "one bite" -- its all over for me!!!!