Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 06:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Good morning Musicmama,
I don't have alot of kid snacks around my house either because like you I would end up eating them. I don't think our grandchildren need all of that sugar and starch anyway. It doesn't matter how big your house is. When you put 12 adults and 8 to 13 children in it things get crazy. I'm glad to know that my husband and I arin't the only people who are glad when we get out peace and quite back.You would think that as busy as we stay around the Holidays that I wouldn't have a problem losing weight. I've got to get busy this weekend and get my Christmas shopping finished. I hate going to the Mall it's always so crazy this time of year. I hope you have a good day!! I'll post more later. I have to go get ready for my grandchildren. I'm babysitting four of them today. Lord, what was I thinking ?
Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 08:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hope you have a good day babysitting, I dont have to do that much, cause all the little ones dont live nearby. The grandkids that do are teens, so they kinda fend for themselves when they are here. Two are getting off the bus at my house today.
I havent got my shopping done yet either,,,but I have a lot in layaway at good old Walmart!
Well, just got up and came in to check mail,,,gonna go weigh and get a cup of coffee,,,,catch ya later!!
  #363   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 07:51

BF:

Good Morning,
I have the day to myself ! Yesterday was a really long day and I've decided that it's too much to watch more than a few grandkids at a time. I have a tendency to make things too easy for our kids. I'm going to do a little shopping and spend the rest of the day relaxing. I weighed this morning and I have gained 3 pounds the last two weeks. I've been working really long ours at the kids store and it seems like we haven't sat still for five minutes for weeks. I have to lose 50 pounds to reach my goal weight. It seems like everytime I get on track something happens and I blow it. I'm going to Germany this summer to viisit my youngest son and his wife. I'm determined to lose as much as possible by then. My husband is so supportive that he told me last night that we can do this. God Bless his skinny little heart. He is in great shape but is always willing to help me anyway he can. Well, I guess I better go get a cup of tea and get some things done around the house. I hope you have a great day.
Brenda
  #364   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 01:09

Well, I had a busy day, my hubby is off on Thursdays and we spend em running around , shopping and paying bills. Today we got a late start, as we slept till 10! What a luxury it is to do that!! All those years of working and having to get up early, I sleep late every morning now!! I love it! One or all of my kids usually call me and wake me up though...
Anyway, we went to the new exotic pet store in town to see what they had. Not shopping, just looking as I have a spoiled toy yorkie, a cat and a tank of fish. Well, we ended up at the new Mexican restaurant in town! DH wanted Mexican food, so I tried to be careful I wasnt really worried, as it has a tendency to go right through me. Sure enough.....I should have a loss tomorrow morning!! LOL I think I may have had about 50 carbs, maybe a little more. So , tomorow I will eat only meat, and balance it out!! That usually works for me.
December is a hard month to lose weight at our house, there is so much going on at our church,,pitch ins, parties and a formal banquet for the over 40 crowd. Im gonna need determination of steel!!! Oh well, I can do this! I will keep thinking about how good I will look by Easter when I get that new outfit!!
Well, gotta get to bed, its 2 in the morning!! I only got 8 hours to sleep!!LOL
Have a great day!! Catcha ya after coffee!!!
  #365   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 06:38

BF:

Well, finally got some shopping done. I'm going to try to finish this weekend. I had moved my treadmill out in the garage when all of the kids were here for Thanksgiving. I tried to use it yesterday and just about froze my tail off. Needless to say I moved it back into the spare bedroom so I can use it everyday. It is 32 degrees this morning. This is not normal weather for Arizona. My joints are screaming !! It looks like I'm going to have my 4 year old grandson and his 6 month old brother for several days. The kids have their grand opening next Friday and the other Grandmother has decided she needs to go home for a few days. Lord, I'll be glad when this store is up and running and things get back to normal around here. I love Mexican food so I try to stay away from it. Do you have a place called On The Border there ? They are everywhere here and they now have low carb tortialls. I plan on drinking lots of water today . Yesterday I was so busy I didn't drink as much as I should have. This is a hard month for alot of us to lose but we can do it. Hang in there and I'll check in tomorrow. Have a great day !!
Brenda
  #366   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 10:19

Oh my, two little ones at once, how do you do it? My nerves just wont let me. I used to get mad at my mom when my kids were younger, I had 4, and she would say that her nerves were shot. I would say, "How can that be, these are your flesh and blood!!" Well, now I know,,LOL..I love em, but .....
Yes, we have an On the Border here, we have only been a few times though. We frequent O'Charleys cause they have a lo carb menu. This new place is called ElRodeo. It was good authentic food. I weighed this morning. No loss, but my stomach has gone down. I'll settle for that! Like you, Im gonna drink a lot of water today too, and I ate breakfast as soon as I got up. Usually I dont eat till mid afternoon. Im sure that wreaks havoc with my metabolism. I read if you eat something every two or three hours during the day, it keeps that fat furnace burning. So, Im gonna try that.Ive been drinkiing flavored creamers too in my coffee, have switched to heavy cream, less carbs, no sugar. Im gettin there...
Well, off to do some Christmasy things today..for one, I gotta make a tray of divinity and fudge for my hubby to take to work. DOnt worry, it wont tempt me, my mind is set!
Have a great day. I will be back later!!!
  #367   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 09:06

BF:

Hey,How did the fudge turn out ? We went Christmas shopping yesterday. It was suppose to be 70 and sunny but instead it was raining and cold. I did get some of the Christmas done but I still have a ways to go. I'm going to put up my 9' white Christmas tree today. It takes a while to get it up and decorated but the family loves it. I put it in front of the 9' window I have in my formal living room since it's the only room big enough for this crew. It's suppose to rain again this afternoon so I'm planning on staying in and making a pot of low carb chili. We went out to eat yesterday at TGIF's, They have a fantastic low carb menu. If you have one there give it a try. Got to run for now but I'll check in tomorrow.
Brenda
  #368   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 12:38

Just now makin the fudge,,,hey,,I need that recipe for low carb chili!!!! I am having about 25 people over Christmas night from church for a chili supper and games. They are all the folks who dont have family, or have lost their spouses, I didnt want em to be alone on Christmas. So, we are hving chili and chili cheese log, desserts and whatever they bring. I am gonna load up some l ow carb stuff for myself..so I need some good recipes! You are the one to help me out there, your stuff is always great!
A nine foot tall whit tree sounds beautiful! We just have a 7.5 foot one , but it goes all the way to the floor. I love Christmas, we decorate everything!! My yard looks like Holiday World!!LOL
Hubby is putting up more lights today!
Well, better go start the fudge,,,,,,
  #369   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 10:01

BF:

Here is the recipe for low carb chili

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup of chopped red onion
2 1/2 pounds of ground chuck
4 tablespoons of chili powder
3 tablespoons of ground cumin
2 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 diced Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro , optional

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes, Add the ground beef and all the other ingredients and cook until the meat is browned. Pour off most of the grease and simmer for at least 20 minutes. I let mine simmer for about 45 minutes on a really low heat. We topped it with cheddar cheese and it was really great. You can also put sour cream and chopped scallions on top if you want to. This recipe will serve 8 people and it is 4 net carbs a serving. The original recipe called for a 15 ounce can of drained soy black beans but I hate them so I omitted them. I'm sure that took away some of the carbs. I forgot to tell you that on Christmas I made some cheese crackers and they were really good. You cook them in the microwave. All you do is buy a package of the Deluxe American Cheese slices. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the plate in your microwave. Cut the slices of cheese into four pieces and put them around the outer edge of the paper. Space them apart far enough so they don't run into each other and cook them on high until they start to brown. All microwaves are different but my took right around 55 seconds. Let the cheese cool for a few seconds before you remove them from the parchment paper. Repeat the process until all of the cheese is cooked. Store them in an airtight container in the frig. Four crackers is a total of .5 net carbs. These are really good . We used them for the low carb crab dip I made. Let me know what you think.
Brenda
  #370   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 12:12

Girl, you either need a web page of your own, or a published cook book!! You always have the best recipes! Im compiling a notebook of em. Thanks so much, cant wait to try it, and the crackers as well.
Feeling yukky today, bronchitis or pneumonia, Ive been in bed all day and just got up to let the dog out and check mail. Im sure not hungry, but ate a couple pieces of cheddar to keep the old metabolism furnace burning.. Had a cup of hot green tea too. thought that might help. Hope Im better tomorrow.
Thanks again for the recipes!! You are a jewel!!
  #371   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 14:50

I was copying the recipe for the chili,,and it seems like it would not make much as there is no liquid involved, yet it serves 8,,did I miss something?? Wanna get this right!!! It sounds great and I have been craving chili! The crackers are a must too!!
  #372   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 07:24

BF:

The chili recipe fills my large deep skillet. The recipe is really easy to double or even triple. It doesn't have the same amount of juice that normal chili has but you can add some tomate sauce that has no sugar added if you like. Just make sure you add the carb count. It actually wont add but 1 or 2 carbs a serving. My husband took the left over chili to work for his lunch the next day and he told me it was even better after it sat over night. The next time I make it I'm going to make it a day ahead . Most of the recipes I use aren't mine. I just hunt all the different sites and when I find one I think we might like I try it. I usually end up making minor changes to the seasoning and if I don't like it I throw away the recipe. I have a huge cook book that is full of tried and treaked recipes. If you get the food network on TV try watching the low carb cooking show with George Stella. He is fantastic ! I hope you get to feeling better. Enjoy the Chili. Try the crackers with it. Be careful the crackers are hard to stop eating.
Brenda
  #373   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 10:38

BF:

Hey Musicmama, did you make the chili ? Did you like it ? We went Christmas shopping yesterday. Got alot done but still have several people to buy for. Things are finally getting back to a low roar around here. My daughter and her husband finally got their store opened and business is great. Cheated yesterday, so being extra careful today.
Brenda
Brenda
  #374   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 11:56

Gonna make it this week, I promise, it sounds great! Im in the mood for chili too, its snowing here, and very windy and cold.
I cheated yesterday too, so am being careful today, and gonna load up on water too. I will be glad when the holidays are over!! Not that I am a humbug type of person, but somany parties and banquets!!!
  #375   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 15:13

BF:

The Holidays always make it hard for me . The family is so big and everyone is always wanting to get together. There is always too much stuff around that I can't have and my will power isn't the best at times. Hell, lets face it , I'm tired and we still have several weeks to go. Walked an hour this morning on my treadmill and I'm determined to walk every morning from now on. I always feel better when I exercise. Have a great day !
Brenda