Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sounds good by the carb count. I'd just check what the contents are. I once had some Elmlea which is full of unnatural stuff!
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 11:26

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panyg
P+P is high so I usually place a large order.

What are you interested in?? After nearly 4 years on Atkins, I've tried almost everything!

Anything good! But probably not more than about 6 carbs per serving (15 absolute max, if i had no other carbs at that meal).
  #333   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 11:43
Lowcarber for life!

Plan: I wish I knew!
Stats: 248/224/168 Male 66 inches
BF:104%
Progress: 30%

I would recommend
fresh baked bread is good at 2.6 carbs a (small) slice
Bread Substitute Mix for 2 loaves (Carbo Counters)
Aunt Paulas Hot Flax Cereal is my favourite cereal
Keto Frosted Flakes
Chocolate Brazil Nuts
Go Lower Bars (available from Bengys)
DaVinci Gourmet Syrups
Keto Macaroni Cheese
Tortilla Wraps - from Mama Lupes
Ketchup - Carbo Counters UK
Gourmet Cheese Crackers
Heartys Crunchies (available from Holland & Barrett)
Scandinavian Crispbreads (available from Holland & Barrett)
Wild West Beef Jerky
Belgian Waffles
Marzipan Log
Meringues - Zero Carb
Prodia Madeleine Cakes
Smart Ms and Nuts
Belberry Jams
Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
Breadcrumbs (Rib Stick n Fried Chicken Mix (1 lb)

I wouldn't recommend
Carbsense Hot Cereal
Walden Farms Tomato Ketchup
Jack Links Jerky
Carbophobia Cake Mix

That's what I've tried!
  #334   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 14:06

BF:

That's brilliant, Pany.
Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that out for me.
I'm sure others will be interested too.

I haven't tried any of those, excepy da vinci vanilla syrup, which is wonderful.
  #335   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 14:11
Lowcarber for life!

My pleasure! Enjoy!
  #336   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 22:52

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 252/210/182 Male 6ft 1inche
BF:
Progress:

Have been constantly checking my local Tescos for low carb products but as its currently under going a huge refurb not been too succesfull.
Just visited the outlaws in Telford and the Tescos their seem to have alot more low carb products.
I tried the heinz cookies and tescos low carb bread the cookies are not terribly low about 4.7g per cookie which I know isint brilliant but okay for the occasional snack.They taste really nice but the trouble is I say that about every low carb snack because it feels like im cheating makes it taste nicer!
The bread seems quite good at 6.0g but I havent tasted it.
  #337   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 14:31

BF:
Default Tesco salad dressing (french vinaigrette)

Shock horror!
Just noticed my workday salad dressing is now 6 carbs per serving, instead of about 2.
I did notice they had changed the recipe about 2 bottles ago, but i never thought to read the label! I've got another one in the cupboard, but won't buy any more.
Wicked thoughtless people!
  #338   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 13:33

Stats: 135/112/105 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 77%

I was absolutely delighted to smother my steak in Carb Options BBQ sauce tonight (I counted every tablespoon of carbs, so no worries there).

However, there's something lingering at the back of mind telling me that the modified maize starch in the ingredients isn't too good.

Could anyone confirm this for me, or can I be guilt free?
  #339   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 05:32
Registered Member

Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

If you've counted the carbs on the label, then it's OK from that point of view. But modified maize starch is another ultra-processed grain so if you are trying to avoid highly processed ingredients (or are corn/maize intolerant), then I guess it's not so good. But the amount will be very small, so all in all, I'd say you don't need to go on a guilt trip.

Jackie
  #340   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 10:27
Registered Member

Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default GoLower products

I haven't heard that much in this site about these products. Besides being originally british, they have the special feature of being LC but NOT using sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners!!

I recently tried their raspberry nut bar (99p at SuperDrug)and found it quite good... it wasn't very sweet of course, but after LC-ing for quite some time one's taste buds become more sensitive.

Additionally, they are advertising LC icecream, as well as Chocolate Fudge Brownies, which I haven't tasted or seen yet.

BARS:

ICECREAM

BROWNIES

#341   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 10:35
Registered Member

Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Nestle Double Chocolate Bar

I've found the Nestle Double Chocolate Bar quite tasty. It's overpriced at about £1.29 (Tesco) (same as the LC Rolo), but it might be OK for the occasional treat. I think it tastes much better than the LC Rolo. Even non-LC-ers might like it.

1 Bar: 38g... Net Carbs 5g - energy: 185 Kcal
Notice that, like other Nestle LC products, it is VERY low in sugar alcohols, about 3g per bar!
  #342   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 04:53

Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love the Golower bars esp the raspberry ones. The choc one is good too.

I agree re the nestle bar - good choc taste but way too expensive. I'd rather have a bar of Lindt 85%
  #343   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 18:08

Plan: Four Corners/Scarsdale
Stats: 173/159/140 Female 5.5 inches
BF:35%
Progress: 42%
Default aspartame-free drinks

T & T Beverages Ltd do a soft drink (T & T) sweetened with splender.

You can order it on their website www.ttbeverages.com or if a member of any of the Costco chains buy it cheaper there.
  #344   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 15:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/189/168 Male 5ft8inches
BF:
Progress:
Wink UK Muffins

Hello, I've been watching the forum for a while now but I cannot recall if I had ever contributed before(?) anyway its been interesting reading the forums and of course picking up ideas for recipes, and in the light of this I thought I would pass on a recipe that I have found very successful and that readers may find helpful if craving something sweet and filling. I ought to say at the outset that the initial recipe is not mine, I picked it up on an American site, however I have modified it and I now find that being less sweet its more palatable to my British taste, I think our American cousins prefer slightly sweeter foods,,the original (modified) recipe is;
4oz Butter
3 level Tbl Spoons Splenda
3 Eggs
4 Fl/oz Soured Cream
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
125 grams Ground Almonds,
Splash of Vanilla Essence.
I have found that you can bung the lot into a bowl and give it a mix up with just a spoon though a mixer might be better, and the Soured Cream is not overly important, I have used ordinary cream and even plain Milk and it still seems to work okay, but I then squirt in a good "squirt" of Lemon Juice to help it along, the mixture is scooped(sometimes its poured!) into a muffin tin, it seems to fill 6 muffin "holes" and its then just a case of bunging it in the oven at 150 until they look cooked,,,,,,,right that's the original recipe and you get very nice muffins which are I think about 2 or 3 Carbs each (that's without any fancy calculations, and without deducting fibre and all the "other dodges" which have been a bit beyond me,,,,now last week I was going to knock up some for the freezer (they freeze very well) and after starting out I found that I did not have the bag of Ground Almonds, so I substituted 100 grams of Soya Flour, thinking that its said to be a little heavier than,,,,,flour,,almonds,,actually I don't know, but something told me to use less, and 100 grams it was, everything else was just the same and the result was much better than the Almond version, not so sickly sweet and more importantly definitely less greasy, this I originally thought was the butter but I now think its the Almonds that contribute the greasiness, the Muffins are very good on their own but my favourite is to make up a bowl of Instant Rowntrees Strawberry Jelly and break into it a couple of muffins, let it set and a quarter of this "trifle" is (I'm guessing) about 3 carbs(?) plus a dollop of cream, it keeps in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and is a tasty treat after dinner. I hope you like it and good luck,
Steve.
  #345   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 18:43
Lowcarber for life!

I wasn't impressed by the Nestle Double Chocolate Bar. It was nice but not worth 5 carbs.

I discovered Thornton's Diabetic Chocolate a few weeks ago. They are small bars (34g) for about 60p. I've tried Vanilla Fudge and Turkish Delight and they are by far the best LC chocolate I have ever tasted! Turkish Delight is 96 calories and 2 carbs. Vanilla Fudge is 122 calories and 1.5 carbs. They have about 20g sugar alcohols so be careful with them!