Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 03:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/364/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default THANKS YOU ALL,FOR GIVEING ME SO MUCH SUPPORT

HEY TRACEYLYN, CELTINORE, ONMYWAY2ME, STATJUNK, GOTALOSEIT , PIXYNIXY, AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS REPLIED TO ME, ALL YOUR SUPPORT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL, IT IS SO NICE TO BE ABLE TO GET ALL THE ADVICE I NEED AND TO PUT IT TO PRACTISE, I AM COMSIDERING MAYBE GETTING SOME GYM EXQIPMENT FOR MY HOME AS I FELT SO BAD AFTER 20 MINS AT THE GYM, AT ONE TIME MY HEART RATE WAS 130 IS THAT GOOD OR BAD.
I AM FINDING THIS QUITE FRUSTRATING NOT LOSEING WEIGHT SINCE MY TOM HAS ARRIVED WILL THE WEIGHT START TO GO AS SOON AS MY TOM GOES, ALSO I DONT EAT ALOT OF VEG, JUST MUSHROOMS, ONIONS AND SWEET PEPPERS, I ONLY USE A TINY BIT OF ONION AND 5 SMALL MUSHROOMS AND 1/2 OF A PEPPER FOR THE WHOLE DAY THE, TJE REST OF MY CARBS COME FROM FOODS .LIKE FRANKFURTERS WHICH I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST AT 4 CARBS PERS 4 SMALL ONES, WHICH STISFIES ME AND 1 LOW CAL HOT CHOC, 4 CARBS, AM I GOING DRASRICALLY WRONG AS THE FRANKFURTERS HAVE NITRATES OR FILLERS IN THEM, THANKS ROC H.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 03:42

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi there and congrats on sticking with it even though you've had a few stumbling blocks.....

I'd suggest upping your vegetable intake, on Induction you are supposed to have 3 cups of veggies and OWL's then you would have more, if you are only having that small about of vegetables then thats no where near what you should be eating, add a salad of chargrilled pepper and mushrooms with mayonnaise or full fat dressing, or expand your veggie eating with some beans or lettuce or cabbage, there are great recipes here on the forum you should give a go....

If you are stalling then the frankfurts would be the first thing I'd be letting go .... I'd get some pure protein into your system not something that often has flour and such in it to pad out the filling..... If you are in Induction then I'd be avoiding them all together, Atkins suggests avoiding processed meats during this time and frankfurts are one of the highest processed meats there is...... If you are on the other hand just sticking to Induction levels of carbs and eating nuts/seeds, fruit etc then limit the frankfurts to maybe once a week or so...

As for being scared about eating too many calories, don't be, it is weird to switch your way of thinking from low fat low calorie to this WOL but it works HONEST!!!!! besides you are not losing weight doing what you are doing right now so whats it going to hurt you to try increasing your calories .....

I'm just echoing what people have already said here, I think you need to increase your intake, increase your fat and definately increase those veggies .......

and have a wonderful, tasty time doing it

best of luck

Fiona
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 08:23

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Fee's right -- the frankfurters (we call 'em weenies here) have to go. I read somewhere that a study of carcinogens in processed foods revealed that frankfurters contain more carcinogens than any other processed food! Not to mention all the sodium, which makes you gain water weight ... and with TOM showing up, that's probably already a source of frustration.

Need more veggies, dear, and a wider variety. Salads, asparagus, green beans ... I made up a cabbage casserole (it's in the recipe section) that is very low-carb, very cheesy, and has mushrooms & onions! You also might try using scallions instead of regular onions, as they have the same flavor but fewer carbs.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 08:57
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally posted by roch
CAN I SEE YOUR FITDAY TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE EATING, ALSO I AM NOT HAPPY WITH 6-8 POUNDS A MONTH WEIGHT LOSS

Hi Roch,

I have never kept a fitday journal, so there is nothing to see. Someone else just asked me what my typical day's menu is and I posted one in my journal, if you want to go look at that. Look at today's post. I am doing this for my health as well as to lose weight, so I stay completely away from fake and processed foods (shakes, bars, hot dogs, etc.) and focus on eating lots of vegetables, protein foods, and good fats (like olive oil). I also eat some nuts and berries. I eat almost no processed foods and I make my own salad dressing. I've never tried any of the commercial lowcarb products -- muffins, breads, tortillas, etc. -- because I don't eat artificial sugar or flavorings and most of them contain some of those.

I'm not sure what to say in response to your statement that you are not happy with 6-8 pounds a month weight loss. Unfortunately, the rate at which we lose weight is out of our control and my personal philosophy is that we are better off accepting what our bodies want to do than stressing out about it. Most people cannot sustain a weight loss greater than 6-8 pounds a month over the long run and even that is very fast for people who are considerably smaller than we are. Don't make yourself miserable by setting impossible goals -- try to appreciate how far you have already come!

Last edited by liz175 : Sat, Mar-29-03 at 08:59.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 13:59

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Hi, I just wanted to add something, about your heartrate. It is dependent on your age, your weight and your level of physical fitness. I go to the gym and get on one of those runners. AND I enter the info accurately on the machine(Big thing for me, I hate acknowledging my weight). They say I should stay around 127 for a good unstressful aerobic workout. However it is all personal. If you find that you have a shortness of breath, can't talk while sustaining this level of activity, are dizzy or (hopefully not) experiencing pain....TAKE it down a notch. But you should feel a little tired after the workout and you muscles will probably ache the next day but thats all good. My sugguestion is to ASK one of the people at the gym!
Good Luck!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 15:50

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello,

Just stopped by to see how things were going.....you seem a little bit encouraged.........I think the thing to do is listen to all the suggestions and then find out what works for you. Like take me for instance......some people can eat low carb candy made with sugar alcohol but when I do it sends me into an instant stall.....so I know I cant have it.I just make my own sweets and puddings from scratch. Let me know how it goes..I'd be happy to share my recipies with you and any experience I've had.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:28
Registered Member

BF:

[COLOR=deeppink][FONT=courier new]
HEY TRACEYLYN, THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT, ITS BEEN PRACTICALLY 3 WEEKS I HAVE HAD MY TOM AND I HAVE NOT LOST A POUND, BUT I HAVE NOT GAINED A POUND, SO I SUPPOSE THAT IS SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING FOR ME HOW CAN U NOT LOSE WEIGHT, I AM SO FAT IT SHOULD DROP OFF ME I MUST BE GOING WRONG, ROCH
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=royalblue]
HEY GOTALOSEIT, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE SUPPORT, BUT NO MATTER WHAT I DO I CANT SEEM TO LOSE ANY MORE, ALTHOUGH I HAVE HAD MY TOM FOR 18 DAYS THAT CANT BE THE ONLY REASON FOR MY STALL, I HAVE NOT HAD MORE THAN 20 CARBS A DAY SINCE I STARTED NO SWEETS, NO TREATS, AND IM STILL STICKING TO INDUCTION RULES, WHY CANT I LOSE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:36
Registered Member

BF:

[ FONT=courier new][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3]

HEY PIXY-NIXY, THANKS FOR YOUR MESSAGE ABOUT MY HEART RATE, WHEN I WENT TO THE GYM YESTERDAY I DID THE TREADMILL FOR 15 MINS, THE EXERCISE BIKE FOR 5 AND LIFT WEIGHTS FOR 20MINS AND I WAS OK, I AM SO CONFUSED TO WHY I AM STILL STALLING, THERE ARE SO MANY CONFLICTING INFORMATION ABOUT EXERCISE, SOME SAY LIFTING WEIGHTS BURNS MORE FAT AND SOME SAY CARDIO, WHAT DO U THINK, ROCH
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=orangered][I][B][SIZE=3]hey fi
HEY FIONA C, THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE, THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING ME, I HAVE UPPED MY VEG INTAKE AND INCREASED MY CALS TO 2500 BUT I AM STILL ON MY TOM AND HAVE BEEN FOR 18 DAYS, THIS CANT BE THE ONLY REASON I AM NOT LOSEING, I NEVER GO OVER 20 CARBS, WHERE AM I GOING WRONG, ROCH
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:48
Registered Member

BF:

[COLOR=darkblue][FONT=courier new][SIZE=3][I][B]
HEY LIZ175, THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT, BUT I JUST FEEL SO DOWN, I HAVE BEEN 23.4 STONE FOR THE LAST 18 DAYSALL I WANT TO SEE IS FOR IT TO GET TO 22,11, THEN WORK MY FURTHER, BUT I AM IN A MAJOR STALL AND I HAVE HAD THE DREADED TOM FOR THE PAST 18 DAYS THAT IS WHEN I STARTED STALLING, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I AM BEING REALLY GOOLD AND THE SCALES R NOT MOVEING, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, SO I DONT GIVE UP AND STAY ON TRACK, THANKS, ROCH
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:01

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Wanna know what I think though I'm no expert?
OK I think a mixture of both is best. The increased muscle is supposed to help your body burn fat more efficiently. And it will make you look ripped in time. However I find cardio burns more calories on an immediate basis and helps for things like endurance and flexibility. It also tones. Endurance and flexibility in the long run are more important to ME. You have to make that decision for yourself. Right now I do about twenty minutes on the treadmill (its all the time I'm allowed at my gym) then work weights for twenty minutes to half an hour. Then do another cardio machine like the bike for maybe ten minutes (I have to increase that ) This way the increased heart rate from the cardio will still be working off calories as I weight lift. The last cardio actually just relaxes my muscles after weight lifting.
Then I'm putty. This way I go to the gym every second day and thats not that bad to maintain.
I don't know if this is helpful. Good Luck!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 12:37
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Roch,

Have you considered consulting a doctor about having TOM for 18 days? That sounds troublesome to me. Perhaps something else is going on in your body that is causing both that and your weight loss to stall. If it were me, I think that, much as I hate going to the doctor, I would get a medical opinion.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 13:07
Registered Member

BF:

HEY LIZ175,
I THINK YOUARE RIGHT I AM GOING TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE DOC TOMMOROW, WHAT HAPPENED WAS THAT I WAS ON THE DEPO INJECTION FOR 2 YEARS AND DID NOT HAVE TOM, THEN I STOPPED THE INJECTION, AND TOM ARRIVED, AFTER 8 DAYS I HAD ENOUGH GOT THE DEPO AGAIN, SO I THINK MY BODY IS CONFUSED,HOPEFULLY IT WILL GO REAL SOON, THANKS, TAKE CARE, ROCH
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:

HEY PIXYNIXY,
I DO ROUGHLY THE SAME AS YOU WITH THE TREADMILL AND WEIGHTS,I AM GOING TO TRY AND GO 4 TIMES A WEEK WHEN I FEEL A BIT BETTER AS HOPEFULLY TOM WILL DISSAPEAR SOON, HOW LONG HAS IT TAKEN YOU TO LOSE THE 20 POUNDS, GOOD LUCK, TAKE CARE, ROCH