Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 21:55

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I bought mine last night at Walmart. They just got them in. They are absolutely wonderful!!! The Reeses PB taste just like the originals!!
I did a hidden carb test on them and on the Reese's PB mini-cups come out to 2.89 carbs per peice. On the hershey's reg chocolate they come out to 2.6 carbs per piece. Any time I decide to eat sugar alcohols I do the hidden carb test and go by those figures. After testing my blood sugar the other day and eating the sugar alcohol raised my blood sugar by 20 points, I decided to be careful with them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 23:05

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

OK, UPDATE.......

I decided to check my blood sugar after posting the last message out of curiosity because of the different sugar alcohol lactitol.....since I've always had malitol. Well, at 10:20pm my blood sugar was 82. I ate 4 pieces of the Reese's PB cups and checked again at 10:54....it read 74!!!
That (I hope) is telling me that Lactitol does not affect my blood sugar.
When I eat Malitol, it raises my blood sugar 20-30 points depending on how many grams are in there.
I am just borrowing my friends glucometer this weekend to do some testing like this. So, I dont know a whole lot about blood sugar ( I found out quite a bit though this weekend doing all of this)...but I hope this is true and it DOES mean that Lactitol does not affect me.
I am gonna test again in another 20 mins.
Vicky
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I haven't had these yet. My best friend who is also on Atkins bought some over the weekend. They had a VERY STRONG LAXITIVE effect on her which has scared me away.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:01

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Dems da breaks w/YMMV foods, unfortunately. I can have these, but can't touch the Russell Stover chocolates. You could always do what DarkLotus did and try them over the weekend at home while you have plenty of time to see how they affect you.

Just a thought...

Nikki
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Glucose Revolution
Stats: 325/297.5/200 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

I haven't seen these around.. but sucrolose is splenda, so the sugar alcohols must be added for texture?

I guess you just have to experiment to see what effects you and what doesn't. Great idea to test your sugar though.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/156/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I bought them today and the Heshey's chocolate is ok. It is the best low carb chocolate I have tasted so far.

But the PB cups to me tasted exactly the same as the regular ones.

I also found Nestle Sugar Free Signatures. I bought the turtle and they are very good. 2 net carbs according to the lable for 3 pieces.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 20:14

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Second time around didn't go over well with me or my boyfriend. We both ate a few pieces Friday night, we needed gas masks! So, we ate em once fine, second time made us sick. Weird.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%

I tried the PB cups and they were excellent and made me a little gassy about 4 hrs later but no where near the effect of malitol in me though. I also tried the chocolate bars and they weren't as good as I was hoping they'd be but will do in a pinch I suppose !!

I am glad to see that more companies are making sugar free stuff !! It's about time.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 17:38

Stats: 138/125/118
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Hershey's Sugar Free

I hope this thread is ok here cause I was so excited that I thought everyone would want to know. I went to CostCo-a chain warehouse store in Georgia and found Hershey's SugarFree candies. It is a box of mini assorted candies with mini Chocolate Bars, Mini Chocolate bars with almonds, mini Dark chocolate bars, and peanut butter cups. My non LC BF tried and actually went "holy **, these taste the same, there is NO difference". Really they are great. The sugar "substitute" is Lacitol and it also contains Sucralose(Splenda). 5 candy pieces have 24 Total carbs, 2 dietary Fiber, 0 sugars, 20 lactitol and 170 total calories. Wow these are GREAT and since they are made by hershey most people, at least in America, should be able to get them. As always that lacitol is YMMV but WOW im excited.

Oldrade
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 18:40

Stats: 130.5/129.5/120
BF:
Progress: 10%

Yes, they are delicious. I gained weight eating them, plus I had the usual gastrointestinal distress that accompanies the sf products. Sigh. Maybe because I couldn't eat just one, or even just three. LOL I am back on Induction.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 18:51

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

You know, when I really crave chocolate and PB I have a few of the PB Cups, taste marvelous,,horrid for my tummy!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:25

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hmmm, wonder what the effective carb count is? After you take away the fiber, and unabsorbed carb counts. 25 carbs is too much to spend on a bit of chocolate. Russel Stover makes a sugar free chocolate, too, but the carb counts are still too high. Ross chocolates makes 1.2 ounce ( for the dark) bars that range in carb counts of 1 to 31/2 for the whole bar. They get that after eliminating the carbs that your body won't absorb. And, they are really good, too....come in dark, milk, mint, orange, raspberry, coconut and cherry chocolate. and white chocolate,too. Haven't seen any other flavors ....they are a product of Cananda, but called Belgiane. I haven't had any ill effects yet and I've been eating them for months.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:28

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Sugar Free Hershey's bars

and Reese's peanut butter cups are now available in my area!
Cheaper than Russell Stover's and 4 carbs per bite size bar. Which gives me a alternative for my PMS cravings
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:27

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Since all these goodies are made w/some type of sugar alcohol, maltitol, lactitol, etc., they really are YMMV. I can get away w/eating a few servings a week w/out disrupting my losses (although some of the intestinal results are less than desirable). So, in my case, the SF Hershey's have minimal carb counts (2-3 approx. per serving).

Ah, the trials and tribulations of finding SF, LC friendly treats...

Nikki
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 06:50
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Hi

I have a question: My roommate bought two bags of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and I was wondering how many of the little cups you ate before getting the laxitive effect? One? Five? My roommate misses candy alot and I'm alittle worried he'll be bathroom bound if he isn't careful. Thanks.