Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

No biggie Just a itty-bitty misunderstanding
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree that we should ideally eat less than we have been accustomed to. I don’t think people were ever meant to live in an environment where food is as plentiful as it is in the West. Living in modern western society and not eating enough is a contradiction in terms.

Whatever the case may be, there is no getting around a simple fact. In order to lose weight, we must—in the long-run—create a calorie deficit with what we intake and what we use. There is no getting around this fact. Eating low carb has a slight metabolic advantage, I’m convinced of this from the research I’ve read; however, the caveat still holds true, one MUST still use up more energy than is taken in—nothing will ever change this.

A person weighing 300 lbs will naturally burn much more energy than a person weighing 130 lbs. All things being equal, the generally accepted theory is that the former will need 3000 calories to maintain weight while the latter needing only 1300. Of course, physical activity will adjust those numbers upwards slightly.

Combine one’s resting metabolic rate and calories used during physical activity, and we have the number of calories where we can eat and achieve equilibrium—weight is neither lost nor gained. To lose weight, there must be a deficit (I’m not going to get into losing fat relative to muscle here). We must eat slightly less than the aggregate energy we expend in any given day. Creating a deficit of 500 calories/day will result in a 3500 calories/week—which is precisely the amount for a single pound.

That’s how I’ve always thought of it.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:34

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I just broke a stall by eating more calories and more fat. I just finished induction and went into the 3 week stall. I sat there and finally asked and was advised to eat more so I did. I was eating 1350 to 1400 my goal is 140 seems like they weren't enough calories so I am now closer to 1700 to 1800. I know everyone is different but to eat around 10 to12 X my weight really worked for me. It seemed when I was eating the lower calories I wanted to snack now I am happy with 3 meals a day and a small snack in the afternoon. Pat S
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

WOW! I had no clue I would get so many responses.

It probably would have been good if I stated my reasons for the post and why I started fitday.

I have been eating relitivley the same since I started Atkins June 2002. I did induction and then added a few extra carbs until keotosis stopped then went down a little until it felt right. Weight loss was good for the first 6 -7 months. I have lost 41 lbs so far, but the past 2 months I have only lost a half a pound only to gain it back plus a few more. I am always giving advice on here based on what I read in DANDR, web sites and this forum. Sometimes my advice (sorry guys) was just on my own experience and may have been absolutely no help. (In fact, I have seen some negitive responses to my post, but that is ok ). So, I realized that either I am in a natural stall (I was at the weight I am now for a few years before I packed on that last 40) or maybe I was unaware that extra carbs or calories had crept up on me with out me realizing it.

So, I decided to do fitday since I had read many post where users were raving about it. I realized quickly my carb intake was fine which I thought it was before doing fitday. Then I got to thinking about the calorie thing that I see so many people talk about.

So, before upping or downing my calories, I wanted to see where this 10-12 times theory came from. Was it experience (like I sometimes throw in my meager 2 cents) or was it documented fact by the good ol' doctor A or another source? Not that it matters where it came from, but before adjusting anything, I wanted to feel like I was doing so based on a sound fact or advice.

Now I do remember that the last time I did WW and they had their point system, the heavier you were the more points you could consume. If they got their information from the same source, than it would be logical that the 10-12 times theory is based on your current weight and that it would go down as you lose. But this theory would also rely on me being a logical person which my ex will tell you in a heartbeat that I am not!

So guys, I know still there is not a solid exact answer, and if you got it, please give. I am really really really and truely happy with all of the responses. It is giving me something to think about.

Now for the lazy thing... I probably should instead of obsessing if I am consuming too many or not enough calories (yesterday I had 1538) I should move this big butt more and get some exercise. Oh no... did I just start another debate?

Again everyone, thanks for the replies and any more info is appreciated! You all are GREAT!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 19:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Heh, Theresa... we know you're not really lazy. This is a very commonly asked question and we still don't REALLY have an answer. Basically stay within a certain range for your weight and play around with it if necessary. Some people lose by creating a deficit, some people's bodies release the fat when it knows it's not going to starve.

And you know what? Exercise is ALWAYS good. Hell, you can even take in more *gasp* calories if you exercise!

Best to you and good luck breaking your stall!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 21:26

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

I've written to the Atkins people asking for the page in the DANDR book. As soon as I hear from them, I'll post the info.

As to what's right, I guess after reading the posts on this thread, it looks to me as if we should let our body tell us what to do.

Magic
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 00:56
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Theresa... I was just popping in to tell you that you are NOT lazy...and look at all this!!

For what it's worth...it's only a guideline, it's 10-12 X your CURRENT weight (that's the only way we can measure metabolic homeostasis...is by what our bodies need to function at basal rate)

Really, what good is it for someone 300 lbs to only eat 1300 calories because she wants to be 130? It takes way more calories than that for a person of that weight to have any energy at all. I remember those days...that's why I ate so much!

Anyhow...just wanted to mention that I think eating too much was the biggest problem for me. Still is... so cals for me are on the lower side. But it's STILL the carbs that are the most important thing to worry about.

Whew!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:34

Stats: 170/155/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi all

I myself never count calories, I just eat low carb foods now and the weight is coming off ! I dont excersize, I dont hardly drink any water lol but it still works for me ..I even cheat once in a while.

I am very very happy with this diet its the only thing that has ever worked for me and ive tried alot of things !
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:22

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I definately agree that counting carbs is where it's at. I would never switch lifestyles.

I think the fitday thing is good for me though. Here is the reason: I am less likely to nibble here and there out of boredom if I have to write it down. I know I was doing that for the past few months when my weight loss slowed and then stalled. Yes, it was legal nibbling but was it necessary? Probably not but we will see.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your responses. Skamito and Donna... I may not be LAZY in the technical sense but at times I am the queen of procrastination. I have been thinking about using fitday for a few months now and I finally got around to it.

Thanks again everyone!