Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 20:12
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I live very near Yonge & Eglinton so I will check out Noah's this weekend. Thanks Mac.

I also want to stay away from sugar and splenda.

Hey jesdorka... Wanda said

Quote:
Just be careful about purchasing stevia with dextrose or maltodextrin. They have hidden carbs, just like the splenda does.

so you should probably try stevia w/o

red
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In Canada, you can buy Liquid Sugar Twin at most grocery stores. It is cheapest at Wal-Mart, currently $2.76 while it's about $3.79 in the groceries.

It uses cyclamates (legal in Canada for years) and has NO CARBS because there is no filler needed as for the powders or tablets.

I must admit that I prefer the taste to Stevia - and I have tried several forms of it.

#18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:34
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by MAC Artist
As for its safety.. even though its not approved in the UK, there are alot of things that are on the market that we don't know are safe in the long run

Hi MAC Artist:

It's not really an issue as to it's safety b/c it's been used for centuries without ill effects. It's having difficulty getting approved b/c of politics, plain and simple. The artificial sweetener business is very powerful and so far has been able to block stevia (as a sugar substitute) as GRAS. For cryin' out loud, GMOs have been deemed "Generally Recognized As Safe" by the FDA and we have NO CLUE what the ramifications of that will be. There's more going on than meets the eye. Okay, I'll step off the soapbox now.

Like you, I follow a natural, organic, unprocessed food diet and I'm very happy with that. For me, this WOL is a necessity for health reasons. I thought about Paleo but decided I really didn't want to give up cheese. It's my one indulgence.

Schwarzbein is very big on an unprocessed food diet to balance all the hormones in the body. It's a very interesting read even if you don't follow the diet.

For me, a very occasional treat would be to have a mix of sweeteners (except Aspartame) rather than straight Splenda (it tastes funny). But it's only when I have to share a LC dessert and I know that stevia just won't cut it.

Rustpot :
When I first started getting stevia here, liquid form was the only way I could find it. Gross. I tried a few types before I hit pay dirt. I think once it becomes more widely available you will find some much better alternatives. Ideally, the best way is with filler b/c it's easier to control. BUT, as we've seen, it's definately not for everyone. I remember when aspartame came out on the market. I thought it was terrible, but I adjusted to the taste. It really comes down to whether someone wants something natural vs. artificial, IMHO.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Mar-08-03 at 11:37.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on Stevia. It is something I wondered about. I for one really appreciate any product reviews that are offered-even if they are conflicting it really helps to hear from others who have tried these products
Jan P
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 02:51

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Arrow stevia plus

My health food store gave me some free samples of Stevia Plus to try. The plus is Fiber F.O.S. It's not bad, about as much aftertaste as splenda, and I like the fact I can get my fiber too.