Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

That's a good idea...I have karate tonigt, maybe I'll have an Atkins bar beforehand...they say only NET 2 grams, but the total carbs are 20 something. Even if it's not SUGAR, will that be enough simple carbs to do the job?

Had a rough time last class too...ate protein and fat. Barely made it through!

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:49

Stats: 192/175/145
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Don't know about carbs

You know, that's a good question. I don't know if the total amount of carbs is going to give you the " energy" you need. I need to know alot more than I do about how the body reacts to different substances. I just stuck with the Zone ( sugar) to make sure. It did help. I'm going again tonight, but I'm really contemplating changing to a modified Atkins. I'm a little tired of having to be so exact with these carbs.

Thought I'd try-not so much fat, watching calories and adding whole grains maybe 1 fruit a day, and leaner proteins. Add a real protein drink or bar for snack. I'm not sure it will work, but I've only lost 5 lbs. in 3.5 weeks. Gained 2 back in the last few days and I haven't cheated once!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep with the Karate!! It's great and a fantastic workout. Can be rough, but thats what makes you good!!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 09:43

Stats: 176/169/185
BF:
Progress: -78%

Don't forget that with more activity, comes more muscle weight, which you want. Replacing fat with muscle due to excersize is going to help you feel better and burn more fat. Don't worry as much about the scale, concentrate more on how you feel and look.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 11:56

BF:

Thanks. I did know about that info. You see I haven't changed my workouts at all. And it has been 3.5 weeks. Maybe I'm pushing it. It just seems that I should be losing at a steady rate, not this 3lbs. in 1 day than nothing for a week, then lose, then gain. I'm just tired of the inconsistancy!! I used to "diet" and the weight came off slow, but consistantly.

I love that I'm building muscle. That's one of my goals. But, with 30 lbs. to lose and not cheating even once, I guess I expect more.

Thanks for listening. Guess I'm just going thru something.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:12

Stats: 188.5/179/165
BF:
Progress: 40%

I used to watch the scale everyday, looking for those pounds to drop off...they didn't. After 21 days, I had lost eight, then gained back six. I followed every rule to the letter and couldn't understand why this was happening. So, I modified my intake, specifically in the calorie area. I cut back on total calories, while maintaining the 70/25/5 ratio and got immediate results; I mean within 3 days!

I'm not working out right now, so I can't speak to a calorie adjustment for those high energy needs, but as far as losing, I'm happy to share what worked for me (mosting good advise from this board)!

#21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:21

BF:

Yea, I did the same with the calories. I'm going to keep an eye on the caloric intake, cut back on the butter, oils, high fat foods ( which people have been telling me to increase) and add Good carbs. Whole grains, vegys, some fruit.

What is your breakdown? 75 % Protein, 20% Carbs, 5% Fat??

Would you give an example of a typical eating plan for 1 day?

Thanks so much.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:45

Stats: 176/169/185
BF:
Progress: -78%

Another thing to think about is when you are eating as well. If you tend to eat to close to bed time, that could add to the problem. Also, if you eat three main meals a day, you could break it up into the 5 or 6 mini meals that is often talked about.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 13:01

Stats: 188.5/179/165
BF:
Progress: 40%

I use Fitday http://www.fitday.com to track my intake. You can see my "Foods Eaten Today" by clicking on the "WWW" icon below my posts

Should you register there, you'll be able to really see the breakdown (carbs/fat/protein) for most any food you can think of. Some items like salads, you have to build yourself, which can be time comsuming, but you can save them and choose them regularly. It also lets you create custom food selections to use in your menus. They also have nice reports for the "big picture".

I've been following the rule of consuming 10% of my goal weight in calories per day, and trying to stay with 70fat/25protein/and 5carbs ratio.

Not sure everyone would agree with that process, but hey...it works for me.

Good luck, and try FitDay!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 13:10

BF:

Thanks everyone. Your eating plan looks alot like mine, give or take a few food choises. I don't eat enything after dinner (6PM)
I guess I'll stick with it a few more days. Just had a steak for lunch. Totally satisfied.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 13:38

Plan: Atkins pre-maintenance
Stats: 206/164/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally posted by TKDlocarb
Yea, I did the same with the calories. I'm going to keep an eye on the caloric intake, cut back on the butter, oils, high fat foods ( which people have been telling me to increase) and add Good carbs. Whole grains, vegys, some fruit.

What is your breakdown? 75 % Protein, 20% Carbs, 5% Fat??

For Atkins it would be Fat, Protein, Carbs.