Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 22:09

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Cool How is everyone doing?

All the talk of sailing makes me want to do it again. ( I have only done it twice and on a teeny tiny sailboat.) I think I would enjoy it but hate the idea of not being in control of the wind...

The idea of boating makes me want to get bikini ready!!!

We live in a retirement area in the Northern part of Arkansas. (Close to the Ozarks) We have a house here on a small lake. It is fun to spend time on the lake floating around etc. This year I hope to sink better if you know what I mean.

Have followed the plan since Tuesday. Forgot to weigh today but am feeling good.

I have a question...What kinds of meals to you make to give you variety? (You know how the traditional fare often has a meat, veg., bread, potato, drink...With just meat and veggies my plate looks funny. Any ideas that work for you menu variety.

Thanks in advance bikini girls!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 06:30
Registered Member

Plan: protein diet and adkins, slenderwiegh, tae-bo
Stats: 220/158/145
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default I'm back and ready to go!

Well, here I am again! I'm so glad that there are so many interested in this thread. It really helped me last year and know it will this year too. I'm starting back on low carb after a two month holiday break in which I gained 10 pounds back of the 70 I had lost over a 3 year period which included a pregnancy... yeah! low carbing works ( of course so does slenderweigh). Anyway, I am married and have a 2 year old. I am 41 and have a psychotherapy practice. I live near the coast of NC and want very much to feel confident in a bathing suit. I wore one last year at 153 pounds but I think I'd feel better at 145. I'll tell you though that it still felt damn good after being 220 pounds a few years back. I am committed to the low carb way of life. I know I cant be successful eating carbs.. I am an addict, no doubt. I am also committed to doing my tae-bo 3 times a week and wouldlike to use the tatal gym 1000 that is sitting in my living room collecting dust because I am too lazy to figure out how to work it. I look forward to giving and receiving support through this thread. To me it helps to have a place to share ideas and also if something is on your mind to get it out instead of stuffing it with food. Happy New Year to all and I know we all absolutely can do this! Lisa
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 07:35

Plan: Atkins pre-maintenance
Stats: 206/164/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 69%
Default Another tarheel

Hello, Lisa. (I'm in Raleigh... howdy neighbor.) And good morning, fellow bikini babes.

I think I will try to find some photos of me in the bathing-suit-that-won't-die, and post them here as "before" pics.

Do I dare? Probably.

I seem to be in a little bit of a plateau--gained back the three pounds I lost over the holidays... yuk... not sure why. Perhaps CHOCOLATE has something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm on track and will hang in there. I've GOT to stop weighing every day, and I also have to remember that just a couple of moinths ago I would have have given ANYTHING to be able to step on the scale at any time of day or night, full or empty stomach, and have the reading always be below 200. Well... that is NOW THE CASE. So I need to be grateful for that, remember that progess has in fact been made, that perfection isn't an option for me (or for anyone I know), and that I am just fine the way I am. I can lose weight, I can gain weight, I can stay the same. Either way, I am exactly who I am supposed to be right now.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ann at Howcross Castle
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 08:24
OSU Cowboy Fan

Plan: Lapband/low carb
Stats: 248/169/145 Female 5'6"
BF:42/29/25
Progress: 77%
Default Monday and feeling good!!

Good morning Bikini Babes! Well its Monday I'm ready to go!!!

Hope everyone is doing great and ready to start working toward that bikini.

Preteach, I just realized we are practically neighbors, I live in Oklahoma and I think Arkansas is beautiful. But to answer your question on the meat and veggies, I sometimes add several veggies to my plate to make it look full. For example, today for lunch I'm having a grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brocolli drizzled in butter and about 5 slices of cucumbers with a dabble of sourcream. There is my three items. Also, use a smaller plate to make it look like more things are on it, if that would help. I usually do this at dinner time.

I have some before pictures of me in my bikini, but I refuse to post them until I have my "after" pictures. They are so embarrassing. I'm sure the guys developing them were having a big laugh, the flab hanging over the bikini bottom would give anyone a laugh. But, it will be something to compare my after pictures to.

Lisa - wow, I'm very impressed with your progress, and your determination. I took a couple of months off during the holidays too, but I'm sad to say I gained 20 POUNDS. Thats right, 20 pounds in two months. But I'm not going to dwell on it, I'm just going to focus on getting under 200. I hate weighing over 200!

Ann - yes, don't get obsessed with the scale in weighing everyday. I think the best way to see what type of progress you make is by measuring.

So with that thought, have you guys all measured? I thought it might be a good idea if we all measure, put our measurements here on the board, and on Feb. 3, we can report our measurements, our weight, and brag about the progress we made after 4 weeks. How about it, you guys in? PS - I still have to measure too, lol. But will do it tonight, promise.

Let me know what you guys think - have a wonderful day.

Tonya
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:14

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Hi everyone!

Tricia posted a link to this thread in someone's journal, and I just HAD to tag along!

I, too, am absolutely determined to be a bikini hottie come summer. For those of you who don't know me... which I think is most of this board... I'm Kate. I'm 27, live just north of Boston (brrrr). Am happily co-habitating with the love of my life (who has been doing an awful lot of research on sparkly things lately!!). No kids. International Account Mgr for a manufacturer of Lab Testing Equipment. High stress, long hours.

It's very nice to meet you all!

I also started the official 2003 Body For Life challenge yesterday. I tend to eat a little more carbs due to the workouts than the average LCer, but still consider myself LC.

I took about 3 weeks off due to the holiday rush, and luckily didn't gain any weight. But I'm determined to kick some butt and get myself thin by summer! I don't want to feel out of place this summer with all of the wives of my BF's friends again.

I have a bikini... and actually had the balls to wear it last summer when I knew only the BF would see me. I already look much better in it than I did then... but am really hoping to be able to buy a little size 10 one come June! (I think the current one is a 16).

Yeay! Bikinis here we come!!!!!!!!
~Kate
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:28
OSU Cowboy Fan

Kate - Welcome!!! I guess I can say I unofficially/officially started the BFL today. I'm not actually entering the challenge, but I'm doing the exercise anyhow. And, I'm not exercising in the morning but in the afternoons, or in the evenings. Today will be "evening". I guess its a modified version of BFL. But I'm anxious to see what results 12 weeks will be.

Welcome again and we all look forward to reading more of your post.

Tonya
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 13:46

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Measurements

Tonya, I think it's a great idea..... I have not measured myself and since I have re-committed myself to this WOL and KNOW that 2003 will be the year I hit goal, I will go home and measure myself tonight. I have changed my stats to reflect the carbage indulgence over the holidays----as I am on induction and plan to stay there for a while, I hope to be able to change things back soon. Hope everyone has a great Monday!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ladies - Had a pretty good LC weekend, but did not manage to get out of bed this a.m. to work out. . But, tomorrow's another day! . Trying to get my water in, which I really have to force myself to do.

I am presently enjoying my lunch of salad greens with tuna (made with real mayo,) olives, cucumber, and roasted red peppers (from a jar - yummy. I highly recommend finding these in the ethnic section of your local market.)

Welcome pre3teach - please tell me how you manage to get yourself to drink water. I bring a big jug to work, and keep refilling a real glass all day long. (for some reason, the real glass - not plastic - makes it more appealing.) But even THIS has lost it's novelty. I end up lugging the jug home nearly full. BTW, I hear ya on the post pregnancy bod. No matter how slender I become, I'll never expose certain parts of my torso!

And welcome to you too lukenlarry - Let us know what new recipes you're trying and how they're working. And congrats on the weight loss!

Jo-ann - Your quiche recipe sounds yummy, but how do you think it would come out without the bacon? I'm looking for meatless recipes. And by the way, I turn 40 this year, too (in August) and I know exactly what you mean. I want to start my 40s much healthier and much stronger!

Tricia - I took Sunshine's advice and looked at your halter wedding dress. Woo hoo! Mine's not as revealing in the back. You're daring - and looked great on your wedding day.

Howcross - Welcome. You can yell all you want about your bathing suits here. We've all had love/hate relationships with our clothes, right babes? You know ... that thing you take from your closet and say "thank God this fits me! I love this!" Then you put it on and say "I can't believe this is the only thing that fits me! I hate this!"

wilow - Wow! You're really almost there! Ha - I also bought a total gym, and then became completely intimidated by it. And tae bo? I'm just too clumsy! I'm doing a firm tape now, which is a big deal for me. They're typically too fast moving for me.

Welcome Kate - and good luck with the BFL. I got great results when I did it, but I only kept it up about 6 weeks because of the time commitment. (I'm on my own with two kids, and often am interrupted in the morning.) I'd love to try it again though - maybe after I'm in a better routine with the exercise I'm doing now.

Sunshine - Happy New Weight Bench! I have free weights, but I've been looking for a long weight bar to use with my firm video. (Only had the short, dumbbell kinds.) I finally found one, but it's not straight. It's more like a "crunch bar." Not sure what the difference is, but I will use it tomorrow when I move my butt out of bed ("as God is my witness," as Tricia [and Scarlet] would say!) Great Idea to post our measurements, or at least take them now in preparation to post them on Feb 3. I don't weigh myself anymore, so this is really the only way to know what my progress is.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 21:04

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Unhappy Measurements

ok..you must have read my mind. I just measured a couple of days ago. So I guess I will be the first to post...Here goes.

Chest 39
Waist 34
Hips 40
Abdomen 42 (really)
Upper thigh 23
Upper arm 13

I am 5ft tall and have also changed my stats from 126 to 138+ to reflect my three months before Jan. I have been on track now for a week. Today was not perfect as DH and I went out to eat but I planned and did very well. (Chinese food but no rice and I love rice!) But really don't miss it at home.

Kate: I was wondering what exactly BFL was?

Is fun to read all the posts. Am so grateful for the support. I am READY to do this.

Oh, I am also setting a mini goal of wearing a cute bra and panty set for Valentines. It is leopard and really cute and soft.

Didn't find a blouse to go with it though, Sunshine

Oh yes...Rhubarb...I have had more luck with the water with this eating plan because I am so thirsty. I try to use water instead of things like diet soda. I like coffee too but always drink decaf.

I really think it is just because of the constant thirst that I can drink all that I should. Sorry I don't have any real good tips...
I have used is to put lemon and sweetner in the water so it tastes like a sugarfree lemonade.

Have a great day everyone...Looking forward to seeing our measurements go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 05:44
Registered Member

Plan: protein diet and adkins, slenderwiegh, tae-bo
Stats: 220/158/145
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default good morning

I like the measurement idea..
chest: 39
waist32
hips40
abdomen 37
arm 11 1/2
thigh22

Well, I'm doing ok this morning. Had some salmon last night. If anyone has a good recipe for that I'd like it. I got one off here a long time ago and can't find it and it was killer.

Rhubarb: Tae-bo grows on you. When I first started I was loosing my balance every 2 seconds. It was hysterical. But you just get better with practice andBilly Blank really is a good motivator. I'm glad I'm not alone with the total gym intimidation. What is a firm tape?

Howdy Ann of Howcross castle, nice to meet you . Sounds like you are doing great!

JoAnn 2 that quiche sounds good. Is the recipe posted anywhere?

Hi Tricia... yeah I drink that low carb Micholob Ultra and tend to do it more often that I should for stress relief. Did you know the lc way of life intesifies the effects of alcohol... I think I read that somewhere.

pre3teach I have problems with that too.Am trying to become more creative with veges and eat more. That's where I've messed up in the past... eating lots of meat and not much else and getting bored. Planning my menus has everything to do with my success and I know that.

Sunshine an dmncat, good luck with the bfl. i'm interested in that but havent found time for the commitment. Keep us posted.

Well, I gotta run. Have a great day and it's nice to be back
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 06:13

Default Measurements.... eek.

Well...

I've been doing Atkins since 10/27/2002, and I haven't yet taken my measurements, so I guess this is agood time to start. I have one bra that is a little loose anynow, so I've apparently lost some inches. Anyway, here goes (note to self: measurements taken while wearing underwire wedding bra):

bust 47
chest right under bust 38
waist 40
fattest part of abdomen 45
hips 43

Oh boy. That's depressing.

Ann at Howcross Castle
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 10:05
OSU Cowboy Fan

Default Moment of Truth

Well, I took my measurement last night, and wrote them all down, the problem is I FORGOT THEM AT HOME this morning. Sorry gals. I will post them tomorrow.

Now for the even sadder news. I weighed, and reweighed, and reweighed again. I couldn't believe what the scales said. But I know its true, so I must face it and move on. I've been off the program for approximately 2 months. When I say off the program, I mean completely off. Everything I saw I've eaten. I've eaten so much sugar, I'm surprised the bees are not swarming around me as I walk. But anyhow, back to the scales, They said I have gained 22 pounds. Thats right 22 pounds. I am so embarrassed & ashamed of myself, but I know the only way to get over it is accept it and move on. So i've changed my stats to reflect my true weight and I've begun a new challenge in life. My first goal is to get under 200 pounds. So i've set a goal date of 3/24 to reach 199. I've also started exercising again so that should help me in shedding this weight, along with everyone's support I get here.

I'll post my measurements tomorrow. I am excited for 2/3/03 to come to see what type of progress we've all made.

Talk to you bikini babes latter.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:21

Hey, Sunshine, hang in there baby. I've been gaining for the last week, and I'm not even cheating. And so it goes. And so it goes.

So I posted my measurements and got very depressed... especially because everybody else's are so nicely in proportion. I'm very tired of having an abdomen that is more protruding that my exrta-huge-plus-sized chest! Enough! Done! Begone! Whoosh! Outta here! (there, that should do it).

Anyway, I'm sticking with Atkins. I know it works for me; I've lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 - 16 pounds since october of 2002, and that's a miracle. So come on back in, the water's warm... and we're all going to be wearing BIKINIS very soon.

Ann at Howcross Castle
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:34

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well, guess who didn't get out of bed to exercise this morning? . Both my daughter and I had a sluggish morning as we were up too late last night. We'll both do better tonight, though . I've already warned her it's an early night tonight.

I'm doing great with the food (though possibly too low on the calories) and OK on the water.

Plus, I did something wonderful for myself - I tried a new service from one of the big supermarket chains where you shop online and they deliver the food! It costs $4.95 for delivery so that's not bad. Not all the generic foods I buy are available, so I may spend a bit more on the name brands, but I HATE HATE HATE food shopping - especially since I always seem to be doing it after work and between one of my kids' activities and dinner. I really hope this turns out to be a good alternative. Delivery is tonight! After work, I'll go home to clean my fridge and just wait for the new food to arrive!

Sunshine - no need to be ashamed with us. Most of us have been there. I know I have. How many here remember how determined I was to reduce my dress size in time for my son's Bar Mitzvah last June? After it became clear I wasn't gong to make it, I found something decent to wear and gave up my good habits for the entire summer. I don't weigh anymore, so I don't know how much I've gained, but I can certainly tell you which clothes I can and can't wear!

You're right about moving on. I'm right there with you. Plus we have similar goals: your anniversary cruise is scheduled for right after my wedding. Let's go!

Howcross - I forgot to take the measurements last night, but I know mine are somewhere near yours. Haven't' weighed in months, but I suspect my weight is similar, too. You might be depressed now, but you won't be by Feb 3rd when you post the changes! You're doing great so far, and your goals look really reasonable. Are you doing Atkins alone, or is your partner joining you? I'm on my own with it, plus my kids eat a lot of pasta as I am a lazy cook .

wilow - "the FIRM" is a series of tapes that promise results in 10 workouts. They've been around for years, but they've recently become very visible due to some infomercials in which they advertise a "complete body sculpting system." Their website is here, but they're available all over the 'net

pre3teach - BFL = "Body For Life." It's an exercise routine where you perform a specific regimen of weight lifting 3 days a week, and a specific regimen of aerobics 3 days a week. There's a whole forum over on the exercise board devoted to it. I loved the results, but did not have the time. I'd constantly get interrupted, and workouts that were supposed to take 45 min. took 1 1/2 hours. I just don't have that kind of time in the morning!

Best to all ...
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:56

Quote:
Originally posted by rhubarb
Howcross - I forgot to take the measurements last night, but I know mine are somewhere near yours. Haven't' weighed in months, but I suspect my weight is similar, too. You might be depressed now, but you won't be by Feb 3rd when you post the changes! You're doing great so far, and your goals look really reasonable. Are you doing Atkins alone, or is your partner joining you? I'm on my own with it, plus my kids eat a lot of pasta as I am a lazy cook .

My partner only needs to lose about 10 pounds ( if that), and because she loves sugar and reacts badly (intestinally speaking, if you get my drift) to a high-fat high-protein diet, we're doing two different approachs. I'm the cook in the family, so I'm trying to make it easy on myself.

For breakfast, we get out own. She has cereal and milk, and I have eggs or meat or spinach. LC leftovers of some kind.

For lunch she eats a sandwich (I've switched her to low-carb bread, which she likes very much) and a banana. I eat a salad with meat and cheese. She eats a salad at night before dinner. So I make her sandwiches on Sunday night and put them in the fridge. Weekdays, I make a big salad--my half for lunch, her half for dinner.

For dinner, I cook meat (chicken, turkey, beef, whatever) and veggies for both of us. I get butter on the veggies, she doesn't get much butter. She gets some rice or potato and I get extra veggies and a low-carb bread product if I want it. For snacks she has apples and I have celery w/peanut butter (sugar- and salt-free) or cream cheese, or pepperoni, or meat. We both enjoy the low-carb cheesecake! For hot drinks, I boil water and then she gets hot tea and I get hot cocoa (splenda, cream, water, cocoa powder. yum.). So it isn't too bad for me to cook for two, and both our tummies are happier.

It all works out pretty well.

Ann at Howcross Castle