Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Rhonda Bell

Degree:
PhD, Cornell University

Position:
Associate Professor

Department:
Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science

Primary Research Area:
Human Nutrition

Research Interests:
My research focuses on the role of nutrition in affecting the development of diabetes and its complications. Specific areas of interest include1) the effects of nutrition during weaning on physiological processes such as insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion and 2) the role of high fructose intake in promoting the development of diabetic complications in the eye and kidney. This research has implications for effectively targeting strategies to prevent Type 2 diabetes in later life, and to reduce the complications of diabetes through appropriate nutritional intake.

Primary Room/Phone Number:
318D AF
(780) 492-7742

Fax Number:
(780) 492-4265

Primary Email:
Rhonda.Bell~ualberta.ca

Source: http://www.afns.ualberta.ca/People/...irectory&id=283

Last edited by gotbeer : Wed, Sep-08-04 at 15:45.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

the last dietician i saw almost made me laugh/cry. i go in, i weighed 250 lbs. i tell her i need to lose weight. she pulls out a copy of the food pyramid, you know the one with 6-10 servings of carbs at the base, 8 servings of fruit/veggies, 3- 4 dairy and so on. i look at this thing and know from experience that if i eat half of what is recommended i am going to hit 300 lbs pretty fast. she brilliantly suggests more exericise. now i am not averse to exercise (i walk, i cycle, because i don't drive), but there is no way in hell that amount of exercise i can fit into my typical day (30-90 minutes) is going to 'burn off' a suffiencient number of calories to help me lose weight. exercise makes me feel better, healthier and so on, but it is not going to put me into the calorie deficit situation needed to lose weight on a low calorie diet.

on the obesity epidemic, i remember when pop cans got bigger. then they started selling 1 litter bottles of pop for individual consumption. coffee cups are bigger. muffins are bigger. restaurants serve meals with unlimited bread. individual meals come on serving platters big enough to accomodate a christmas turkey(lots of cheap, refined carbohydrate). movie theatres started giving free refills on the popcorn and pop but ONLY IF YOU BUY A LARGE. is it any wonder the population is getting fatter.