Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 09:48

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I agree...definitely a sensitivity.

It's one of the peculiar things about food sensitivities...that we crave it. With most allergies/sensitiites, we want to avoid the thing we're bothered by, but not so with food.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I forgot, Migraines are another symptoms as are frequent infections and "brain fog". In fact, in a lot of regards it is similar to hypothyroid.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 11:44

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Same for me.....indigestion/heartburn....arthritis flares up (within mins after eating it).....sinus congestion/pressure....post nasal drip.....cranky......moody.....yikes....the list goes on and on and on......
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 13:42

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

hmmm, well looking at everyone's posted symptoms so far I'd say I'm not allergic per se, but extremely sensitive, which will most likely lead to allergies or whatever else my body will devise in order to send the signal "STOP EATING THAT CRAP!!"

(today was pizza day at work, and I didn't touch a slice! Now I just gotta stay away from the cookie plate...)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 04:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Facial edema...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 18:15
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=276774

The above is a thread where I posted some feelings about dairy and grains. They both have opiate-like substances in them, and are addictive. Not to mention that they are not a natural part of the human diet. Milk has alien proteins that the human cannot digest and use. I'm now convinced they're basically poison.

http://www.rense.com/general26/milk.htm

The above thread is an article about dairy. I think it is a little strong, but it brings up some interesting points.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 20:19
Experimenter

BF:

Its a more sensitive test for wheat intolerance

Quote:
Immunoglobulin G autoantibodies against tissue-transglutaminase. A sensitive, cost-effective assay for the screening of celiac disease.

Bilbao JR, Vitoria JC, Ortiz L, Corralesa A, Hualde I, Preciado E, Castano L.

Diabetes Research Unit, Hospital de Cruces, Barakaldo, Basque Country, Spain.

The characterization of target antigens in several autoimmune disorders has made it possible to develop antigen-specific immunoassays that are superior in terms of sensitivity, specificity, reproducibility and ease of standardization, compared to immunohistological methods that are highly subjective, rely on skilled technicians and are not applicable to large-scale studies. In the case of celiac disease (CD), tissue transglutaminase (tTGase) has been identified as a major autoantigen, and antibodies against this molecule are present in most CD patients before gluten is removed from diet. In general, anti-tTGase detection assays detect the presence of IgA class antibodies, but these immunoglobulins are absent among patients with IgA deficiency, a frequent condition in which CD is very prevalent. In this report, we have analyzed 64 patients at diagnosis of CD for the presence of antibodies against tTGase of both IgA (TGA) and IgG (TGG) classes, using anti-IgA antibodies or Protein A, respectively, for the immunoprecipitation of 35S labeled, in vitro transcribed and translated human recombinant tTGase. In our hands, the TGG assay matches TGA in terms of sensitivity (97%) and specificity (100%), and besides, the combination of both assays is able to detect antibodies in all patient samples. The method described uses only 6 microl of serum, can be adapted to automated large-scale analysis and, in combination with other antigens, can be used for the simultaneous screening of other autoimmune diseases, like type 1 diabetes mellitus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...3&dopt=Abstract
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks for the information. Kind of interesting the celiac maybe missing IgA antibodies but will have anti-IgG. I don't think that test would be applicable for actual allergic reactions (IgE) but might explain symptoms there isn't another explanation for. Is celiac considered an autoimmune disorder that is triggered by wheat?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 09:07
Experimenter

BF:

Celiac isn't an allergy. Rather, I should say Gluten Intolerance isn't an allergy. Celiac seems to be what Gluten Intolerance can progress into with atrophying of the small intestines.

What happens is a GI person can't digest gluten proteins completely and apparently they damage the small intestines and leak into the bloodstream. They can cause immune reactions anywhere in the body including things like arthritis, brain lesions and disorders, migraines, and apparently the foreign proteins in the blood stream cause the body to start having immune reactions to all kinds off things... like your own body tissues, such as the thyroid. Lupus, MS, and other autoimmune disorders have a lot of corresspondence to GI.

A good book on the subject is "Dangerous Grains".

Apparently when random people's blood were sampled about 1 in 133 had the antibodies, but only about 1 in 4000 are ever getting properly diagnosed. When you think about the cascade of illnesses this can cause it is very alarming!