Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 03:39

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Yeah... I think you are right about it, just wanted to make sure before sending my reply to them (unlucky for them I can get stubborn at times ) Right.... Jo person, where shall we start Must be fun (as soon as I don't get swamped with work)

Harley, Fat Fast worked for me, though perhaps there wasn't particular need for me to do it, as I was loosing during Induction. But it was definitely worth doing. At first I thought no way, I'd be starving. But I hardly even thought of food. The portions are small but very fatty, so you do feel full up, I did. I had 2 ounces of cream cheese 3 times a day, and 2 times - 1 ounce of macadamias (perhaps the main reason why I decided to do it ). It came to 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm and before bedtime (I wasn't that punctual of course, and I did have more than 1 ounce of macadamias at a time). I think after Fat Fast I started eating less potions, and even have to remind myself that I have to eat. I did put on 1kg back though (I think it's water), so comes to -2kg.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 07:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

Congrats 2 u Ella, you are doing good! I do have one word of warning though. I ordered a tonne of chocolates from carblife and they are gorgeous, but i found that they made me stall. It was very disheartening. I know that every body is differnet and that everyone has their own items that makes them hiccup, but a few people have said that these cause problems. If you start to stall i suggest that you stop taking them for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 08:00

BF:

Hi, Juicyjacki!

Thank you for the tip! I think I stopped loosing after having carblife chocolates (shame though, they are very nice!). I thought it was because I increased my daily vegetable intake. Maybe it's both. But they do help, especially when you get those cravings ones a month. Also when I go out, and have lots of sweet temptations round me, I keep thinking: just wait till you get home and you can have it all, unless I have 1 spare hidden in my bag

Fat Fast was great - worked wonders for me. I'm considering doing it again.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%

Has anyone else tried the squirty whipped cream available at the moment with liqueur flavouring? I think it's the plain cream with courvoisier or drambuie, & chocolate with tia maria. About 1-2%carbs for the plain & 5-6% for the chocolate, so should be fine as long as you can hold back at a couple of squirts! We got these at Safeway, though possibly it was only a Christmas thing. Very nice, though!

Daisy
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 07:33

BF:
Smile Cornish Clotted cream mmmmm...

Hi, Daisy!

I haven't seen it in my local Safeway, but I discovered last night Cornish clotted cream

It is SO NICE with strawberries. Quite heavy, so you wouldn't have more than 2tsp. Decided to have it every morning with strawberries or blueberries to spice up my breaky!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Post Waitrose

Has anyone noticed that Waitrose dips into low-carb now and again? The recipe cards they give away often have what I realised were lc. Their magazine as well: There was an article on Nigella Lawson a while ago on her low-carbing with some recipes, and this month has "5 easy suppers" where three are completely lc (minus a pinch of sugar on one) and the others can be with the subtraction of their side dish.
Just thought i'd mention it since it helped me with variation on menus.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 09:31

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Hi from Nova Scotia

Happened upon your thread by chance. I have a question for you all, I purchased some Somerdale English Devon Cream, can you tell me about it? Do you have any idea what the carb count is and what do you do with it. I put some in a quiche.
Hope you all are doing well and that you don't mind me jumping into this conversation.
I'm just experimenting with new products.
Yours truely Jo-Ann
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:19

BF:
Default Waitorse

Yes, Waitrose is really good for LC shopping. It's a bit far from my place, but sometimes it's definitely worth a trip. They also have a very good selection of nuts.

Jo-Ann 2, I haven't seen Somerdale cream, so can't really say much, the best probably would be to check out its carb content. I was enjoying Cornish clotted cream for too long, then realised that it has about 560ckal per 100g!! so, I realised why I was avoiding scales all this time. In fact I put on weight. Guess you have to bear in mind that cream is good in moderation, especially heavy one.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 06:47

Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello

Thanks Ella, I took a chance, it doesn't have a nutritional breakdown on it. You are definitely correct in your statement that cream is something to be used in moderation. I have a hard time finding heavy cream (whipping cream especially) that does not have dextrose (sugar) added to it. The local distributors all put it in their products.
Thanks again.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 08:04
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Kelp Helps!

Hi

I've been doing low carbs (Atkins Induction) for a few days now and find that the Kelp helps. As soon as I introduced it along with the Chromium Picolinate I began to notice the difference.

Solgar do 250 tablets of Kelp for about £5 and is worth trying to aid the metabolic advantage.

Daschnook
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:47

BF:

Hi, Daschnook,

I also found that certain supplements help to stop cravings. If I forget to take Chromium in the morning by lunch time I'm getting those mouth-watering images of different deserts, well any chocolate would do then to be honest.

I haven't heard of Kelp, have to check it out.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:22
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi

Kelp is a vita-nutrient recommended by Dr Atkins to help speed up the metabolic rate by working alongside the thyroid. Many people have underactive thyroid problems that go undiagnosed and this is a natural supplement to help boost it up and so speed up the weight loss (hopefully)...seems to work for me anyway! Its natural and it is safe.

Daschnook
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:19

BF:
Default Update on the letter to Safeway

Remember, I sent the letter to Safeway and got reply, which I posted earlier in this thread?

So... guess what? I've noticed some changes in my local Safeway!!! They started doing lot of varieties of SF jellies as well as soft drinks and other lc-friendly stuff. At the same time they introduced a low-fat line Hmmm... I guess it's the same old story when they go: "eh? what? low-carb? you mean los-fat!! oh, I see!" But at least some reaction is good

In any case I was very pleased hoping that my little vote made some difference
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:36
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey Ella,

thats a great news, where about is this safeway? I dont think there is any safeway near where I live. There is a tesco, may be I should write to them, hmmm, may be they will listen, who knows, worth a try.

Ciao
Sheila
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 14:28

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Lidl - Frankfurters

I've had a pretty good go with Tesco, Sheila. Exactly the same reaction as Ella got ... low-carb? ... oh she must mean low-fat. Sent me a huge list of products - absolutely loaded with carbs.

I went to Lidl last week. It is a longer walk, they have some yummy European (German especially) chocolates and carby stuff which is to be walked swiftly by but I did find some lovely frankfurters. Worked out at 0.6g carbs each. Worth a try if you wish to add a little variety.

Take care.