Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 13:42
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Honestly..i watched the mtv i'm obese one...and that kid that was using the surgery as an excuse to eat himself to a glutton...made me sick....i mean, i'll never ever make fun of anyone ever....but he knew exactly what was going into his mouth, and knew that he was making himself 600 pounds....its discusting and sad...and the fact that he was probably still going to continue to eat the same things after the surgery..just in smaller portions....it just blows my mind....the total lack of disregard he had for himself and his health
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 11:30

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 125/119/90 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default WHY cottage cheese?

QUESTION!
Why cottage cheese?

I don't understand, of all the thing you could crash diet on to lose a lot of weight, why cottage cheese?
What's in it that made her choose cottage cheese over, let's say, celery (celery has "negative calories" because of the energy[fat to burn] it needs to digest)?
I consider milk, cheese, cottage cheese and all those dairy products some what fattening.

QUESTION 2!
Does water(somewhat) help you "lose" weight?

I mean, I've heard of crash dieters [and some anorexics] drinking tons of water a day, does it help?

QUESTION 3!
Why crackers?/Why cereal?

I mean, they ARE carbs, but I've heard of many crash dieters eating just a cracker or a microsized handfull of cereal for breakfast, why?

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE AN ANSWER TO ANY OF MY QUESTIONS, RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS:
mondayt23~yahoo.com

thankyou x1000000000000000

Last edited by mondayT23 : Thu, Jan-25-07 at 11:39. Reason: To add my e-mail for a response
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I watched that one. Sad. They were calling her plan "high-protein" and occasionally mentioned low carb. I thought it odd, too that they forbade even DIET soda, but let her eat huge piles of fruit.

The pageant crash-dieter referred to her own "plan" as low carb... her daily menu consisted of an apple. Then, against the advice of the nutritionist, who told her to eat 5 small meals of protein, veggies and fruit a day, she decided it was "faster" to just eat cottage cheese for two weeks. RIGHT after the pageant, she went and gorged, gained a few punds back, and it said, went on another crash diet to get ready for the next pageant.

I could barely stand to watch the young wrestler starving and sweating to make weight. I felt for his Mom.

What I noticed with the girls that I've seen a LOT among chronic dieters, was the "Last Supper" mentality. How many of us decide we'll start on a particular day, then have a free-for-all the day before? The Pageant Girl's Mom asked her why she didn't just follow the moderate route and not pig out the night before. The girl said she needed to get all her favorite foods in before she had to starve herself for so long... and it would be MONTHS before she could eat "normally" again. Then the Mom shut up and ate right along with her.

Actually, that makes sense. Some people drink a lot of diet soda and their bodies get prepared for the calories but don't get any, so they adjust their calorie needs to be higher. That happens to a lot of people. Then as soon as they don't have the perfect amount of diet soda they're addicted to one day, they overeat. I'm trying to get off diet soda right now by switching to flavored water, and then next week I'm going to try and switch to mineral water. But thats expensive still, so after that I'm going to try and switch to just plain old tap water *blech*.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 13:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Actually, that makes sense. Some people drink a lot of diet soda and their bodies get prepared for the calories but don't get any, so they adjust their calorie needs to be higher. That happens to a lot of people. Then as soon as they don't have the perfect amount of diet soda they're addicted to one day, they overeat. I'm trying to get off diet soda right now by switching to flavored water, and then next week I'm going to try and switch to mineral water. But thats expensive still, so after that I'm going to try and switch to just plain old tap water *blech*.

yep, in the nearly 2 years since I posted that, I've been reading up on it a bit.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 13:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayT23
QUESTION!
Why cottage cheese?

I don't understand, of all the thing you could crash diet on to lose a lot of weight, why cottage cheese?
What's in it that made her choose cottage cheese over, let's say, celery (celery has "negative calories" because of the energy[fat to burn] it needs to digest)?
I consider milk, cheese, cottage cheese and all those dairy products some what fattening.

QUESTION 2!
Does water(somewhat) help you "lose" weight?

I mean, I've heard of crash dieters [and some anorexics] drinking tons of water a day, does it help?

QUESTION 3!
Why crackers?/Why cereal?

I mean, they ARE carbs, but I've heard of many crash dieters eating just a cracker or a microsized handfull of cereal for breakfast, why?

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE AN ANSWER TO ANY OF MY QUESTIONS, RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS:
mondayt23~yahoo.com

thankyou x1000000000000000

Well I don't want to e-mail you because you only have one post and that kind of freaks me out, no offence but there are a lot of spammers and people who give viruses out there. If you email the wrong person you can end up with a "spy" watching everything you do online.

But I'll answer your q's here.

#1: Celery contains no protein and its pretty darn hard to live off of without passing out and gettin ravenously hungry to the point that you can't even think. Cottage cheese contains lots of protein but is low in fat and lower in carbs than milk. It maximizes fullness for calories. Celery does not.

#2: Well it burns a tiny miniscule amount of calories if you drink ice water, and it supposedy helps you filil up in place of food. It won't last very long though, you'll just pee it out very shortly if you've already had enough. If you aren't getting enough water though, you can avoid making the commen mistake of eating when you're actually thirsty.

#3: Some fortified whole-wheat/high protein/flax added cereals are really really healthy and some crackers are whole grain. But eating these things alone is usually not a healthy breakfast, unless you eat a really good balanced cereal. Crash dieters usually aren't the most logical though, so sometimes they think they're being healthy with a handful of special k for breakfast.