Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 06:38

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

My only suggestion Tweedy is to show your husband articles suchs as the one posted by turtle. They might impress him more if they are coming from an scientific source than coming from you.

Also maybe you could try to search the net to find doctors who believe in nutritional therapies who might be able to convince your husband's doctor of a different approach.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/162/145 Male 179 cm
BF:
Progress: 65%
Angry

Tonight, in the news journal on Flamish TV they've talked about extremely high rates of cancer in Flanders. It appears that Flanders is the region with the highest percentage of cancer patients (1 in 3 Flamings get cancer some time in their life ) in the European Union. The most common types of cancer in men are colon, prostate and lung cancer; in women - breast, colon and uterus cancer. The ONLY explanation to such a phenomenal number of people suffering from cancer was a short interview with a woman from Flamish League Against Cancer or the Flamish Ministery of Public Health (not sure which of the organizations, missed that part). It was something like this: "I think it's all change in our lifestyle. We've started to eat more meat, more fat... We move less..." Those are basically the exact words she said... Needless to say, I got enraged with those words!!! Why haven't they mentioned REALLY bad ecology over here??? The ground waters in Belgium were recognized as the dirtiest in the world, according to a UN report. Why not all that smog produced by cars and factories that people inhale every day? So, if I eat French fries (or Belgian fries, to be more historically correct), chocolate and pastries every day I will lessen the risk of getting cancer??? i frankly don't think so!!!!!!!! And after all they wonder why people in other European countries have jokes about stupid Belgians...
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 08:27

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
I think I remembed reading something about this in the The Schwarzbein Principle. I may be wrong, it's been a long time. But I do know that I read somewhere that low-carbing starves cancer cells..

Perhaps you were thinking of "Life Without Bread" ?-- there's an interesting chapter on low-carb and cancer. Allan and Lutz discuss the connection between cancer, insulin and growth factor IGF-1. Both insulin and IGF-1 are lowered on a low-carb diet, even if calories remain the same. They also provide some evidence that oestrogen is lowered on low-carb, which may be important for oestrogen-sensitive cancers like breast cancer. They also say that the fatty acid butyrate, found mainly in butter, differentiates cancer cells (make them more like normal healthy cells).
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 12:09

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynS
Perhaps you were thinking of "Life Without Bread" ?-- there's an interesting chapter on low-carb and cancer. Allan and Lutz discuss the connection between cancer, insulin and growth factor IGF-1. Both insulin and IGF-1 are lowered on a low-carb diet, even if calories remain the same. They also provide some evidence that oestrogen is lowered on low-carb, which may be important for oestrogen-sensitive cancers like breast cancer. They also say that the fatty acid butyrate, found mainly in butter, differentiates cancer cells (make them more like normal healthy cells).

Nope, never read that book. But clearly, it's been out there for a while and addressed in various publications.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 21:23
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Hi Deb! Since you look very knowledgeable about low carb, I suggest you read Dr Lutz and Allan's excellent book (Life Without Bread).
Definitely a must read!
Also, try Dr Jan Kwasniewsky's Optimal Nutrition and Homo Optimus (available only by the Polish publisher:
http://www.wgp.com.pl/Kwasniewski-eng.html

Those are some of the best low carb books I have read! And I have a lot!

Try them and give me some feedback!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 11:25

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
Hi Deb! Since you look very knowledgeable about low carb, I suggest you read Dr Lutz and Allan's excellent book (Life Without Bread).
Definitely a must read!
Also, try Dr Jan Kwasniewsky's Optimal Nutrition and Homo Optimus (available only by the Polish publisher:
http://www.wgp.com.pl/Kwasniewski-eng.html

Those are some of the best low carb books I have read! And I have a lot!

Try them and give me some feedback!

Mitch, I appreciate your suggestions, but my reading list is already so full that I'm not sure I want to add another two books to it. It's all I can do to keep up with the great posts here on the forum (if I didn't have downtime at work while I wait for computers to finish processing my procedures, I wouldn't have more than a few hours a week for the forum).

As far as reading books, my current focus is on evolution, biology, and sociology, along with some fiction for diversion. Although lately, my time for reading has diminished greatly with all the other acivities I've added (biking, dancing, discussion groups, socializing, etc.).
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 17:13
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
I suggest you read Dr Lutz and Allan's excellent book (Life Without Bread).
Definitely a must read!

I've just finished reading 'Life Without Bread' and have to agree that it's the most informative LC book I've read so far. What did you like about 'Optimal Nutrition'?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 17:54

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

Dr Lutz and Allan's book 'Life Without Bread' is excellent and
has a lot of bio-chemistry to backup LC lifestyle. Read the chapter on
energy production in mitocondria, enegy-less is more etc etc.
The authors are very humble and respectful of other's views.
I read and re-read it every now and then.. to keep on the track
which I have been on for last two years.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:27
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

About the Optimal Nutrition book, I liked the biochemical information the most, along with the numerous historical/social references. Very clearly explained, along with a thorough discussion of the origins of diseases.
However, I was a little put off by the religious tone on Homo Optimus, and with the strict ratios to maintain between protein/fat/carb advocated by Dr Kwasniewski. But all in all, very good books.
But Life Without Bread still gets my vote for the best so far!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:39
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Thanks TBone

Are Optimal Nutrition and Homo Optimus two separate books?
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 10:30

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Lif Without Bread

Life Without Bread is an excellent book. Frankly, I've always thought the title was kind of hokey and wish they had come up with a better name. If you're put off by the title, like me, don't let that dissuade you from reading it. It's a very good read.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:42
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Yes, Optimal Nutrition and Homo Optimus are 2 separate books.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

sorry to here about your DH's illness, Tweedy, I wish him well.

my aunt, my mother's twin and like a second mom to me, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer two years ago. She's been through several treatments and continues to do well. The fact she's lived two years with ovarian cancer gives us hope.

she revealed to me recently though that she craves sugar (a problem for our whole family, my grandmother developed on-set diabetes) and is indulging her cravings like she never has before, because as she said "why not indulge myself while I'm sick and need to put on weight anyway?"

I had a 'gut feeling' this wasn't a good idea, but didn't have the info to tell her why it wasn't. Now I do. Thanks, Angeline and Turtle!

she also told my mother that she is feeling extreme fatigue lately (wonder why?)

I've printed the Mercola article and will send it to her snail mail. She's in her 80s and has a computer but never turns it on!