Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 11:09

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

The trouble with BFIs is that they don't take a lot of things into consideration. Bone structure, muscle contents, etc. I have always had very muscular legs and big boobs, even at 125lbs (which is 21BFI for my height) they were large. The rest of me looked out of proportion because I have a small frame.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 14:08
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Unless you're very active, we lose muscle as we age. I think I remember it being a half a pound a year. Thus, it makes sense that it becomes more difficult to lose weight as we age.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 155/115/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, I hope I don't offend some of you but..... I'm 61 and I've been at goal since May 2003. Yes, it is harder if you slow down. If you continue to walk, use those muscles, losing weight should be the same as when you were 25. I've always exercised and when I found lcing, it was just so simple. No processed food but simple food. Lean meats, eggs, cheese and lots of greens and vegi's!! Don't mess with all the stuff out there in the stores that say Net Carbs. Don't believe it!! Read the Nutrition Label...if it says 20 carbs, COUNT THAT. Don't worry about eating too many vegi's....it's really hard to gain weight eating vegi's. Just keep it simple.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser4
Anyone else feel that the weight loss is harder since 40?

No, I 'saw the light' at 44...
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think part of it is age, but a big part is how many times you've lost that same weight. For me, it seems to be more difficult each time. And yes, to those who say all you need to do is work out, I DO work out. Five times a week if not more.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 18:50

Plan: lowcarb hybrid
Stats: 185/150/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I was overweight my whole life and couldn't lose weight and keep it off until AFTER I turned 40. I had even tried Atkins before, lost some, gained it back. But I started again around the time I turned 41 and for the first time ever, lost it and have kept it off. I think the number on the scale is still high, but I'm a size 6 or sometimes even a 4, and happy about that. I think some of this has to do with the fact I'm a lot calmer and under a lot less stress now than ever before when I was younger. It is kind of scary though- why did the diet work this time and not before? What did I do differently? It seems kind of miraculous (still can't quite believe I'm not overweight) and sometimes I worry that the magic will end and despite my best efforts the pounds will reappear...
Anyone else ever worry about this or is it just me? -- Cathy
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 155/115/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cathy,
I worry about this each and every day. Gaining it back is what I've done all my adult life!! For the 1st time in my life, I've maintained over these last 15 months.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 20:51

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%
Cool Same weight as when I was 18

When I turned 18, I weighed 185, which is just a couple of pounds more than I do now. I moved in with my sister and learned how to eat better. I dropped some weight and began lifting free-weights. I lost more, much more. I rode my bike to/from work each day (only about 5 miles) and I worked out each day (I went to work for a health club). So, it was easy to keep off the weight. I also ate mostly protein, except for the days when I had been out until 4am and got up for work at 6am. THAT, I definitely can't do any more.
I maintained that weight (125-130) for many years through exercise and locarb eating, before I knew anything about LCing. I became a vegan because my body did not seem to like meat, I could eat chicken, but beef made me gag. I never liked fish, so I began finding meat substitutes. Eventually I stopped eating meat completely and ate a very carb-filled diet ... and started gaining weight. Even exercise only maintained the weight gain and then it increased and I got sick. My weight topped at 210 by the time I hit 30 and the PCOS caused cancer. After my hysterectomy it was worse. Nothing seemed to work. Finally, my husband and I did some research and we found a book titled "Syndrome X" that gave detailed information about symptoms. I had about 90%! After arguing with my then doc to get an insulin test and finding out I was insulin resistant, I began the first phase of the Syndrome X diet. TOUGH! By the first 30 days and no meds, I dropped 20lbs. By the en of 6 mos I went back to get my bloodwork and found that all my cholesterol levels dropped and my insulin went from 26 to 6. I was 34 and full of much more will-power!
Life has gotten in the way of me taking care of myself and I gained 15lbs back. Many of my health issues came back! SO! I am back to LCing, and I am taking Lipitor and Actos to keep those levels low until I reach and maintain my goal. I will be 40 in Oct and my goal is to lose as much as possible before 40 and by next spring be at my goal weight. I want to maintain that weight and tighten up some skin so that I can have a breast reduction (neither mom or I can remember owning a training bra, she said one day I had baby fat, the next I had boobs!).
I fully intend that my next 40 years will be healthier and happier!