Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 08:07
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

When doctors give a standard cholesterol test is there any way for them to know what ratio of your LDL is the big ones and what are the small ones?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 08:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 162/153/145 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

An interesting thread, but one I will have to come back to.

From what I understand, the whole cholesterol(s)/triglyceride link to CVD is tenuous - folks w/ good numbers have heart attacks, too. I'm pleased with the results I've gotten via LC-ing, though!

The link to inflammatory markers (for example, CRP) is a little better. Also to homocysteine (which can be lowered by diet, assuming that your digestive system is working properly).

Ornish uses a whole array of mechanisms, not just diet - he includes meditation, group meetings/support, and light exercise. I've always wondered how Atkins would hold up toe to toe if it were part of an entire program like that. Looking at the same markers as Ornish (flow through coronary vessels).

Finally - be nice to your doctor is good; if you think they are on the wrong track, you may need to remind them of who's in charge or maybe even get a new doc. The insurance companies are driving the way most docs practice these days, and IMHO, I think most docs went to med school wanting to be able to spend time with and properly treat their patients. The harsh reality is, that many docs can only afford to spend about 10-15 minutes (or even much less) with their patients. I've found a doctor that I work very well with, and she still only has about that amount of time to spend with me. She stopped delivering babies (getting up to deliver a baby at 2 am loses a lot of appeal when you are over 50) and only does GYN now. No longer paying the high malpractice for delivering babies, was, I'm sure, a nice side bennie. Also, last time I saw her, she recommended that I buy and read the South Beach book.

I'll be back later on this week to read - enjoy everyone!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 08:15

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Default LDL Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
When doctors give a standard cholesterol test is there any way for them to know what ratio of your LDL is the big ones and what are the small ones?

When I talked to the nurse who gave me the numbers, I asked her that. She said that they didn't do that test, but there is one available. (Zip test? something like that) So, next time I get my blood work done I'll ask for that test as well. It will also be with another doctor. This one just totally underwhelmed me with his knowledge, personality and service.

Plane Crazy
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 17:24

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
Total 235
HDL 43
LDL 164
Tri 140

Not great numbers, like some here, but not horrible either. If you listen to the AHA then with all of the saturated fat I eat I should be in the hospital with sky-high numbers. Instead, I've lost over 40 pounds, I exercise five-days a week and eat tons of vegetables. I have a feeling these are just the basic numbers my body will always have. I'll have them checked again later this year, November maybe. We'll see what happens then. Anyone else not see much change in their numbers?

A study posted recently said that men tend to have lower HDL and higher LDL than premenopausal women (they didn't test post- or perimenopausal women). So you may lose weight faster than us, but we get better cholesterol numbers.

My question is did you have the test done to check your LDL breakdown? My dad had his done, his numbers are similar to yours, but his LDL breakdown is not encouraging, very low on the good side, high on the bad side. Personally, I think it's due to the statins. I don't think they promote development of good LDL.

My mom's (post-menopausal) numbers have her over 100 on HDL and LDL is not much more than HDL, but her doctor wants to put her on statins becuase her total is "too high." That's criminal.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:38

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Unfortunately, I neglected to ask for the extra test to break the LDL numbers down into the different types. I'm thinking of going to another doctor anyway, someone with more of a clue, and I'm thinking of having him do the test as a way to test him as well as my LDL.

Plane
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 06:59

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I asked for the breakdown test an was told it was only available at "major heart centers".....hmmmmm I guess Duke isn't major enough?

Anyway, I'm switching docs, and if my numbers are bad, I will again ask for the breakdown. See what the new doc says.