Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I think I read somewhere that in the early years of Weight Watchers they were much more low carb than they are now, because the low fat dogma had not yet completely overwhelmed people's knowledge that carbs made them fat. Does anybody have a really old Weight Watchers' program book? I'd be interested to know how it compares to the plan they use today.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 20:36

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Here's info on the plan from 1972. I remember reading the first plan was even more LC.

The only news I've heard on the new program is that several of the leaders trying it out think it's too strict. Go figure. I bet that it - the new plan - will address their idea of good carbs and good fats due to all of the hype they are pushing in WWM.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 21:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Paris....very interesting! I don't remember them being that strict, but I do remember being told to limit bread, potatoes, corn ("there is NO nutritional value in corn!"), "starchy foods".

We could have potato skins, tho. I remember that clearly. I was a kid (1968, 14yrs old) and I remember my parents, at dinner, would scoop out the insides of their baked potatoes and gave me all the skins! My poor mom had fits over that! She felt like she was a bad mother because she was giving me the "garbage". I still love baked potato skinds better than the potato it'self! LOL
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: Willet/Balanced
Stats: 174/151/150 Male 5'10"
BF:24%/18%/10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris
Here's info on the plan from 1972. I remember reading the first plan was even more LC.

Cute. Here's my favorite part:

Group C (choose as desired): Antelope; Buffalo; Capon; Caribou; Chicken; Cornish hen; Elk; Goat meat; Guinea hen; Moose; Pheasant; Pigeon; Quail; Rabbit; Soybeans, dried; Squab; Tripe; Turkey; Veal; Venison.

Pass the pigeon please...
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 09:45

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerner
Cute. Here's my favorite part:

Group C (choose as desired): Antelope; Buffalo; Capon; Caribou; Chicken; Cornish hen; Elk; Goat meat; Guinea hen; Moose; Pheasant; Pigeon; Quail; Rabbit; Soybeans, dried; Squab; Tripe; Turkey; Veal; Venison.

Pass the pigeon please...

Just where are you gonna find these things?? O yea let me run out to the store for some antelope meat . No! WW is weird. I'm glad I'm not on their program anymore.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 10:00

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Not that rare in some places. Out of this list I've had:
Buffalo; Chicken; Cornish hen; Elk; Goat meat; Pigeon; Quail; Rabbit; Soybeans, dried; Tripe (unfortunately); Turkey; Veal; Venison.

No antelope, but the Elk was fantastic. It was in Austria and the cook in the tiny, very rural hotel ( Hotel-Landgasthof Tell in Paternion) sure knew what to do with elk. Served with wild mushrooms...

I've got to go to lunch, I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

Plane Crazy