Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes, loss of appetite is normal, however, you must eat. Don't allow the loss of appetite derail you from eating.Protein and fats and the reduction of carbs prevent a surge of insulin. A surge of insulin/drop in sugar=stimulated appetite.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
I think we all go through periods of cyclical hunger or lack of. It is perfectly normal not to feel hungry sometime. Listen to your body. If it doesn't want food, don't force feed it. I guess I am in the minority when it comes to this issue, but I usually trust what my body is saying. I think eating when you're not hungry or have no appetite it is like abusing your body. Right now I'm going through a period of no hunger/appetite as well and that's fine with me. I doubt I'd go into starvation mode any time soon. I personally think the words "starvation mode" is thrown around way too easily on this board. My view on this used to be different, but after researching on the topic of "fasting" I realized wow.. I had no idea fasting was actually good for the body sometimes. Never again will I tell a sick person (who usually has no appetite/hunger) that they should eat. I'm not saying that you're sick. Only that you need to listen to your body.

Just my 2 cents.

Serre

Tried it that way and stalled, hence my change in how I approach it. Force feeding isn't what I suggest nor is it what Dr. Atkins suggested. DANDR says no more than 6 hours between eating, to at least have a small protein snack. This morning I was not hungry. I warmed up a leftover hotdog from grillin last night, took my supplements and if I'm not hungry 6 hours from now, then I'll do it again.
Obviously, one of the incredible, desirable changes ketosis provides is decrease in appetite. I view it as the blessing it is. I do however, want my body to contintue having fuel, even when it isn't quite throwing me big signals that it needs it. I suppose you could compare it to the water consumption. How many times have any of us, drank down water throughout the day, whether we felt THIRSTY or not, because we knew it was best?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/159/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:30
Progress: 60%

After years of being hungry all the time , it is such a pleasure not to be hungry. I agree with what Serre said about
the body knowing what it needs and doesn't need . So my vote goes to not force feeding.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 11:04

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I imagine that right now, on a low fat/low calorie forum somewhere, there is a thread about being hungry all the time and what to do about it. The posters are probably trying to brainwash themselves into thinking that a growling stomach is a good thing.

I tend to have no appetite when on induction levels of carbs, but as you climb the carb ladder your appetite will come back. Enjoy the fact that you're losing weight without a growling stomach.

Thank you Dr. Atkins.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 11:19

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

About 2 weeks into doing Atkins I found that I had problems with eating. Just the thought of food was enough to turn my stomach. Now that I've been doing it longer I find that I don't have the problem anymore (though, could it come back for a little while?!), but I do go through phases where I am more hungry and less hungry (and days where I just can't stand to put any salad in my mouth). Just keep eating a little bit every few hours and in a few weeks it should get better.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:03
Contributing Member

Stats: 205/185/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have found this same thing, that I wasn't nearly as hungry as I have EVER been on a "low fat" diet. In fact, I found I had gone for over 4 hours without eating! That NEVER happened to me before in my LIFE!! I've been a food and sugar addict for my whole life and to have this experience is brand new.

SO..I also find that when I do eat when I'm supposed to, even if I'm not hungry, that my appetite comes back after the third bite or so. I eat a slice of cheese or some turkey and then I realize I actually was hungry.

I have also noticed that if I wait too long before meals, 6 hours or so, I get heartburn. I think this is the stomach acids coming out ready to eat food that I forgot to put there!

Ellen