Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 06:15
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

doogieb:

Now brand dextose from 1fast400.com is 2 bucks for 2lbs. You can, however, often find it locally at a health food shop or especially at brewery supply houses.

elijaeger:

Whey protein from this same place (I am using Dymatize Elite Whey right now) is really not that expensive compared to real food. Yes, it can be a lot more expensive if you buy from GNC or some place similar. I paid 40+ bucks for 5.5lbs at GNC 'cause I was out and needed quickly, whereas they have it for 26.00 online! A 5.5lb tub lasts quite a while.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 07:38
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks Chipperoo - I found some orange flavoured dextrose tabs in the vitamins section of my local supermarket.... they were in 50g packs (95% dextrose) so I took one of the packs...... I don't think it had a particulalry positive effect on my workout though..... Maybe I should try less if I try it again.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:54

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Good to know to stay away from GNC. There is a GNC in the mall across from my apartment that is always empty.

Since whey protein is the consensus best post-workout protein source, it seems I should start looking at that instead of my store brand lunch meat. I regularly buy cottage cheese, which is getting close. My next two chores for this week are to look for protein shakes (or learn to make my own) and to look for good whey protein sources. OR are those two the same chores. Do you all get your whey protein in your shakes?

246 last night - after fighting temptation at a bbq all day. I chowed too much on my low carb ice cream though. Tonight I'm going to work on my lower body and abdominal muscles. My upper body is still sore from Saturday.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 22:10

Moderately good workout today. I tried several new dumbell exercises to try to hit some underworked muscles.

I'm still struggling with the post workout food. I will have to get to the store for some protein powder or shakes or something. For now, I ate ricotta cheese immediately after the workout and a frozen meal of chicken w mashed potatoes 15 minutes later. I know, probably not the ideal forms of protein and carb but I'm just starting.

Maybe this weekend I'll try a 12 or 24 hour carb up.

I hear Leptin is all the rage with the kids these days...
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:19

I went to buy my ingredients for my homemade protein shake... and the local grocery had no powder. I bought some more cottage cheese instead. I need to go somewhere bigger I guess.

So I'm starting to see my weight fluctuate lower after every timed carbup. I'm typically up about 2-3 pounds the night after my workout carb up as my muscles refill. But I am hitting new lows about 2 days later. I think due to my work schedule this week I haven't gone very low in carbs as I'd like. Since I didn't eat birthday cake at work yesterday someone heard I was "on a diet" and brought me a plate of fruit. Totally nice - and I didn't feel like explaining that no, I wasn't on Atkins, and yes, fruit is good, but no, I'm going to pick out the berries and give the rest of the fructose to my neighbor. Oh well.

So I'm going to try to keto up until my Thurs. workout, do a short workout focusing on lower body, mid section, and other neglected muscles. Then this weekend I'll try to do a 48-hour semi-intelligent carb up (It is a holiday for me so I'm going to cheat anyway) and try to stay low fat and see what this leptin thing does for me.

Since I've never done a 48 hour carb up correctly, I'm going to do some research and try to follow at least one of the programs closely. I'm most familiar with Lyle's UD 2.0 although I'd prefer something less complicated.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 11:39

I bought my first tub of whey protein powder yesterday. I am now have no excuse to not get ripped.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:21
Southern Gentleman

Keep throwin' that iron around and watch what goes in the ole' pie hole and you'll get there for sure!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 12:29

I'm going to a party tonight and have decided I'll try and make it a semi-intelligent 24 hour refeed. Ok, it will most likely be incredibly stupid but after low carbing for 1.5 months, I figure I could handle just one day eating well above maintenance.

chip - if I can make half the progress you have the last year I'll consider myself a success.

My whey protein is quite good. It is chocolate flavor sweetened with splenda (also keeps me regular). It is called Pro Rated and I got a giant tub at Costco for $20.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 15:53
Southern Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijaeger
I'm going to a party tonight and have decided I'll try and make it a semi-intelligent 24 hour refeed. Ok, it will most likely be incredibly stupid but after low carbing for 1.5 months, I figure I could handle just one day eating well above maintenance.

chip - if I can make half the progress you have the last year I'll consider myself a success.

My whey protein is quite good. It is chocolate flavor sweetened with splenda (also keeps me regular). It is called Pro Rated and I got a giant tub at Costco for $20.

Thanks for the compliment there dude, this last year has definitely been a good year for me and I hope you have all the success I've enjoyed since embarking on this journey. Looked up what I could on that protein and it looks just fine (especially for the price), just remember to count the 4 grams carbs in your daily count and the calories if you're counting those, which is best on CKD. Of course, you might get away without counting the carbs post workout, just gotta' play that by ear and tweak it till it works for you.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%
Default hey...

eli, i bought the alpine vanilla, which do you prefer i havent tried the choc yet. And it is only 22 cents per serving. great stuff.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 13:41

I have the Bavarian Chocolate whey protein. It is quite good. I am mixing it with FF milk for my pwo shake. Costco only had the choc flavor. I'm sure I'll get sick of it eventually but i've been pleasantly pleased.

So I had quite a few drinks last night (somewhat to be expected) and much FEWER carbs that I thought. Most of the carbs were in my drinks. Maybe a handful of potato chips, half a muffin, some veggies.

So I didn't quite carbload as I had imagined. And I figure the alcohol isn't exactly conducive to building muscle. Doh!

I had a shake this morning just to get some protein back in my system ASAP and I'm back to low carb now. I'm not counting anything anymore though. I did fitday for several weeks to get an idea of where I was so I'm just estimating for now.

Yo Sweet100, are you in WA state or WA DC?
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 21:50
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%

washington state,spokane
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:32

Yeah I went to college in Spokane - Whitworth up on the north side. As I recall the winters were too cold and the summers too hot.

I survived my reckless weekend OK on the scale. I ate pretty well yesterday. My muscles were very sore, not sure if that was due to a heavy workout Sunday, or my body punishing me for drinking. Either way, I am going to make this a very clean week.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 18:50

I had to get my tooth drilled at the dentist today so I am in a little pain, and combined with mostly liquid foods today, am in no shape to lift tonight. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

I am looking at HIIT - high impact interval training from what I hear- on my stationary bike instead of my usual 20 minute bike ride (on my non lifting days). The theory is that it drains glycogen more quickly? Any thoughts/suggestions?
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

High Intensity Interval Training.
Read Tom Venuto article here:
http://www.bodybuilding-fitness.net...content/view/5/