Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:52
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneM
HOW COULD SHE HAVE NO CHEESE???

Oh Suzanne, you gave me a good laugh here...
But now I want some gouda...

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I in NO WAY meant any offense to anyone. It just got me to wondering, is all, because the first thing I thought was that she was another uninformed consumer filling up on low-carb products without going the whole route and getting all the other stuff you need, too. Then I checked myself & thought, sure, she could just be picking up the staples that help her in her low-carb eating.

Just made me think.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:55

Stats: 226/156/125 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Devil's Advocate here! I guess I'll throw in the idea that maybe she was shopping for someone in her family like her DH or something. My husband has to buy me "feminine" stuff sometimes, so it's obvious he's not using them! Not as easy to tell with food, though! I think we probably can't be sure it was only for her. Whether it was or not, it's not a completely accurate picture, because we don't know what she already has in her fridge. Maybe she only uses that stuff sparingly, but was stocking up, etc. I do agree that it would be too bad if her diet was based entirely off that kind of food.

Bandito,

I know what you mean about the looks. I'm size 10/12 and 157# which is deceiving. People look at me like I'm some obsessed dieter that doesn't know when to stop! I mean really, if they only knew I weighed 226 at one time! So, I've decided to not care what people think!!

Emily
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 13:02

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I know what you mean, elimy, about people saying "you don't need atkins" ... I have to say (EVERY SINGLE TIME) that is because of atkins that I look like I don't need it.

Angers me ... I do it for health reasons ... not just for weight. I do it for the joy of eating what I like ... not just for weight and appearance.

I won't lie ... I want to look good ... but I love what I eat. I am satisfied and feel like I am more free to eat what I want on Atkins that on any other way of eating.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:01

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Elimy & Mssusthang,

Sounds like you both are in my boat. There is such a stigma attached to any form of "dieting". Dieting for health reasons, or weight loss basiclly tied together on this WOL. It seems that there is still much negative mis-information out there about LC. To the people who "get it", there is a correct way, and an incorrect way. Then there are the people who are so into fighting their own battle, they just cant see beond the place where they are at. That the strategy does change over time.

I too feel bad for people who do not understand that this woe is not about replacing junk food with LC junk food. It is impossible to know though unless you discuss it.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:24

Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love Canada

I know I'd be tempted if I could get alot of that stuff here. Well I think I would.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I think that some people think simply changing out the high carb for the low carb will do it. And I do wonder....would these people lose weight? I mean their diet WOULD be lower in carbs. It's like switching to Diet Coke. For an avid Coke drinker, completely switching to the diet kind would maybe result in a good amount of weight loss over a year even if they don't make any other changes. They'd be shaving off anywhere from 300 to 1000 calories a day, depending on how much they drink. And what if that person also cut out white bread, other excess sugars, and potatoes (which is where many people start to cut carbs). Would they lose even more? Would they lose any?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:27

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Could it be that the lady is a diabetic?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:32

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i know, i know...it's hard not to judge. but as several of you have said, you don't know the woman's motive: perhaps she IS diabetic, and these products have virtually saved her life. and if she's buying into the trend, so what? she won't stay on the diet, that'll be that. but what difference does it make?!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:42
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm afraid to say what I must look like shopping, then... I get to a town where I can get the lc products I do use MAYBE once a month, so I buy in bulk.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 19:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

How many people say that they are doing Atkins just by buying a bunch of low carb junk and criticize you for eating a pork chop " Ewww, all that fat, you are going to rot your arteries."

Hey, I am guilty of eating lc junk but I have not made a menu of it. Sometimes I need a snack or a change of pace. That is what that stuff is for, not a meal. When I do my lc shopping my cart is full of veggies and meats, cheeses and cream! Mmmmm spiiiiicccy!!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 19:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/157/140 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 62%

Well at least she was making a effort. good for her!! Takes some of us a few times to get it right.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 22:37

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

That's what my shopping cart might look like in a couple weeks.. add choc extract and heavy cream. My sister's wedding shower is in a couple weeks and she and I both eat low carb.. but what's a huge event if you can't spoil your day with treats (legal treats in this case). There will be carb loaded cakes and treats as well.. but my sis and I want enough of the low-carb stuff for those who want it.. i found out my aunt and uncle started LC'ing too.. it'll help us not to cheat.

Sooo.. maybe that's why no cheese?? Maybe she's throwing a party??

If not.. I hope she reads the book!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 06:28

Stats: 259/229.5/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Haven't a clue
Progress: 27%

I like to use Carb Options salad dressing, as well as Carb Options BBQ sauce on occasion. The odd LC tortilla is on the horizon, but like others have said, I'm just using LC products occasionally. Well, not the salad dressing, but everything else is natural food. I even found the link on here for the Homemade Atkins Bake Mix.
I'm trying my utmost to stay away from chemicals masquerading as food. I can't see how a person can fill a cart with preservatives and call that a week's worth of meals. Even when I wasn't low carbing it, I bought real food.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:03

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

The main question here....... was she fat or skinny? If she was skinny I'm running to the store as we speak to load up on low-carb fake food.

Candyless