Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Poisionivy

What would be the most pounds per week a person could lose in a week by eating high fat and enough calories?

I am so afraid to try eating too much because I'm afraid I will gain weight.

In other words... I am 5'4" and 227 pounds (as of last monday, I only weigh once a week).... I would like to lose 3 pounds a week average...so based on that how many calories and fat percentages and so forth should I be aiming for?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 17:40

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

Read the whole thing, VERY well reasoned. It makes a lot of sense.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 17:44

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Poisionivy

To add to what I already asked you:

In AFwife's journal one can see that on March 30th she weighed 230 pounds and today, just 5 1/2 weeks later she weighs 184....thats about NINE pounds a week weight loss!

I was wondering what kind of WOE according to what you brought out here would accomplish this kind of result?

I'd like to try it if you can figure it out.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 21:57

Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Jenny,
Be careful and never say never. You'd be surprised what you'll try once you start your stall. The stall hits us all, except perhaps for the very lucky few. We all want to believe we can stay faithful for life because of the rapid results we see in the beginning. When you hit a stall that lasts several months, frustration sets in and then start the attempts at refeeds, fat fasts, plan swaps, etc. all in a desperate attempt to get the scale moving again. (I suppose some even resort to gasp exercise!) Keep the faith!

I most cases I would agree with you and say "never say never" but in my case I was stalled since the day I finished induction which was back in Feb. until last week. I pretty much just stuck with it and last week... Woosh, lost 3 pounds. For me giving up sugar was so hard, to refeed just to lose more weight, just isn't worth it to me. I totally understand for many though who have a lot more to lose, why they do it, but for me, I'm almost to goal, and I've always exercised six days a week. Its about my new lifestyle, if I don't lose any more weight then so be it but, I have more energy and love the food I eat now. As long as I don't gain I'm happy. If I ever refeed, I know me, it would be like a recovering heroin addict shooting up again. Yes....its that bad with me.

I do hope though it does work out for all of you that do the refeed.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 22:21

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

First thank you everyone for your feedback. That was exactly why I posted this to hear peoples feedback and hopefully learn some more clues to help close this crazy cycle. Now I would like to address a few of the comments......nothing negative though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird
Wow......my brain hurts.
Anyway makes sense; however, I will not refeed ever because I am too afraid I'll lose all control......Jenny
I believe my Thread Title may have been a bit misleading (that's what I get for trying to get peoples attention ). This was not intended to be seen as an advocation for refeeding as a resolution for stalled weightloss.......What I was really trying to say was that I believe that I understood now WHY refeeding works in theory and I really mean "IN THEORY ONLY", not in reality, just theory. And the reason why I believe it works in THEORY is because of my research. What I do believe works in reality and NOT JUST theory is the hypothesis I came up with that to truly lose weight on Atkins you need to make sure that you are consuming no less than 400-700 less than your metabolic rate plus lifestyle (found in your fitday) which for most means 1800-2300 calories a day and that at least 75% of those calories should come from fat, about 5-8% from carbs and the rest from protien and the carbs should be veggies, not lc foods with the exception of an occasional 2-3times a week treat. The hypothesis and conclusion are my opinion yes, but based on the FACTS. Jenny, I am definately not trying to pick on you......because quite a few replies addressed the refeed, not just yours and it's because of this that I am concerned that many believe I am advocating the refeed when in reality that was just what caused me to begin my research on upping calories and fat to reach the weightloss you desire while keeping your body out of starvation mode and ensuring that you are giving your body enough fuel.

I'm sorry if I've confused anyone and I'd feel horrible if someone refeeded because of my posting and found (as I definately believe they would) that all they succeeded in doing was putting on weight they had so diligently worked to get off. I really apologize for that......so please no one do that, that's not what I meant at all.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 22:39

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipid
Poisionivy
What would be the most pounds per week a person could lose in a week by eating high fat and enough calories??
I honestly couldn't even begin to give you an accurate answer to that question (boy I wish I could because I'd have my next wardrobe sizes all mapped out ). I think the rate of weightloss is dependent on way too many factors to even begin to guestimate
Ex: metabolic rate, previous dieting, amount of weight to be lost, age, health issues, medications taking and the list goes on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipid
I am so afraid to try eating too much because I'm afraid I will gain weight.
In other words... I am 5'4" and 227 pounds (as of last monday, I only weigh once a week).... I would like to lose 3 pounds a week average...so based on that how many calories and fat percentages and so forth should I be aiming for?
I know you're afraid......believe me I was too. Fortunately/unfortunately my weightloss was going so badly that I literally had "nothing to lose" at the time I tried out my hypothesis. In other words, in my opinion you will have to be willing to gain a bit of weight before you see any weightloss. I had expected to gain between 2-5lbs but got lucky and only gained 1. In addition, we all have to remember that what we eat today does not show up on the scale tomorrow.....it generally takes about 3-4 days at least....so that goes for positive eating changes as well as negative.
I will however give you a rough guestimate of what your minimum calorie intake would be. (But you need to go to fitday.com and let it give you the real number) I will run on the assumption that you work at a job that has you sitting all day, add that to your metabolic rate I'm guessing that you need about 2600 calories a day to maintaine your weight. If that was so, I'd suggest that you consume no less than 1800 calories a day and no more than 2400 calories a day (remember most of these calories are made up of fat....those 1800 calories I quoted you are "carb charted" calories and we're eating mostly fat ones so 1800 carb calories gives you x amount of energy, to get that same x amount of energy you have to eat 3600 fat calories.......reverse it and 1800 fat calories only give you 900 kilojewels of energy. It's a trick, your body gets the calories it wants, comes out of starvation mode, burns those ineficient fat calories in half the time it expected and quickly moves onto the stored fat because no need to hold onto that, it's getting its calorie intake quota and obviously not starving...tricky!!!) So, consume anywhere from 1800 to 2400 (more is better in my opinion) and you lose steady.......what that comes out to on the scale I couldn't say.........but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than what you hoped for.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 04:34

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Adding more fat

Well, I tried this today, so I'll let you know how it goes.
I did go overboard on my calories and I could have used a bit more fiber, lettuce is just not enough, Here's how it looks:

grams cals %total
Total: 3030
Fat: 273 2454 81%
Sat: 131 1180 39%
Poly: 10 92 3%
Mono: 91 818 27%
Carbs: 22 69 2%
Fiber: 5 0 0%
Protein: 126 504 17%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

This is not perfect numbers, you know how fit day is, it's off here and there on things that have to be adjusted. I used a lot of butter and ate macadamia nuts today. Also made cheesecake with sour cream and philly to up the fat and ate that. It's hard to balance all these things at once. Plus I ate out at a restaurant today, which really threw me off on what my numbers actually are, if you know what I mean. But it's pretty close.

I almost scheduled myself a cheat day or two, but instead I've opted to up the calories and fat for several days to see what is going to happen. (Didn't want to fall off the wagon and get cravings back again! )

Last edited by Pugzley : Sun, May-09-04 at 04:40. Reason: wanted to add something
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting theory, unfortunately I have to say it is at odds with nutritional science & biology as I understand it. You also seem to have a misconception about a few things. Below I have outlined where and why I find fault with the “eat tons of calories to lose weight” theory. I apologize for the ridiculously long post, but in order to understand why this theory is bogus you really have to understand the biological implications.

1) Re: sugar.
Sugar is not a separate energy source, but a form of carbohydrate. “Carbohydrate” is everything and anything which serves one purpose in the body: to provide it energy in the form of sugar. Therefore, starch (from pasta) is sugar, fructose (from fruit) is sugar, sucrose (from white table sugar) is also sugar, and maltitol (from low carb candy) is sugar. Basically, carbohydrate is anything that is potential energy from sugar.

These examples of different types of carbohydrate are eventually broken down into even more simple sugars (such as glucose) and then used by the body. Most carbohydrates have 4 sugar calories per gram of weight, but not all. Some special carbohydrate sources contain no or reduced amounts of energy because our body lacks the necessary enzymes required to completely transform them into sugar. For example, maltitol is a carbohydrate which is incompletely digested by the body. Only 75% of it is absorbed, making it only have 3 sugar calories per gram. This reduced sugar content makes it rather popular in low-carb foods, however it is well known to cause a myriad of problems when eaten in excess. On the other end of the incompletely-absorbed carbohydrate spectrum is erythritol. Erythritol is about 95% unabsorbed, and therefore only has only .02 calories per gram, making it almost entirely symptom & sugar-free. Another good example of a partially/completely unabsorbable carbohydrate source is the new insoluble starch technology used in Dreamfields products. Dreamfields pasta is made from starch which has been “coated” with a protective layer that our body lacks the enzymes to break down, making it impossible for the body to derive very much sugar from the starch. 33 grams of starch from semolina flour, as if by magic, are transformed into the sugar energy equivalent of a cup or two of broccoli. The most common type of indigestible carbohydrate is cellulose, otherwise known as fiber. Cellulose, like the sort found in broccoli, has 0 effective calories per gram and is entirely sugar-free because our body lacks the enzymes required of turning cellulose into glucose. 100% of cellulose passes through the body unabsorbed as bulk and has zero glycemic load.

This all seems rather complicated, doesn’t it? The most important thing is to familiarize yourself with the glycemic index, and to frequently choose carbohydrates which are low on the GI. However, be aware that quantity of net energy from sugar matters just as much as quality (GI). 600 calories from sugar is still 600 calories from sugar, and equals about 150 carbs… regardless of how rapidly it is absorbed or assimilated. Choosing low GI carbs might eliminate dramatic swings in energy balance by mitigating excessive insulin production, but a carb is still a carb and by its nature requires a certain amount of insulin to utilize. The goal is not only to eat low glycemic carbohydrate, but you want to eat them with fat/protein/fiber (which further reduced glycemic index), and you want to eat limited amounts.

2) RE: fat-storing and low carb.
Yes, excess carbohydrate is converted into fat, but so is excess fat and protein. Calories which are not burned are stored as fat, period. A healthy body will not “turn up the furnace” to completely compensate for excessive calories, nor will it allow them to completely pass through in feces/urine/sweat/etc. Some extra calories will be burned off, and some will pass through, but by far the majority will be stored as fat. Sorry, as much as I wish it were true there is no physiological basis to support the assumption that only when carbohydrate is in ones diet is fat storing possible.

I think this myth is based in a grain of truth. When we low carb our insulin levels decrease. Insulin is the hormone which makes fat storing possible, and if your body is not producing any insulin (such as in diseases like diabetes) it is impossible to store fat regardless of how much or what you eat. Diabetics who produce very little to no insulin will lose weight even if they are eating large quantities of food. This is because without adequate levels of insulin, the caloric energy consumed cannot be assimilated by the body. In uncontrolled diabetes, energy cannot be mobilized. Instead it instead floats around in the blood (where it is toxic to delicate nerves, especially the eyes) and eventually spills out of the body and urine (diabetes mellitus literally means “honey passing through” for this reason).

This scientific reality of the impossibility to create fat in an insulin deficient environment due to disease is then fallaciously applied to a low carb, and the myth is born. The preponderance of this myth is a perfect example of the correlation-proving-causation fallacy. People see that an absence of insulin in disease makes fat storing impossible, they also see that on low carb insulin is reduced, and therefore they assume that fat storing is likewise impossible on low carb. It just isn’t true, as many other factors come into play besides relatively reduced insulin levels.

First of all, being incapable of creating any insulin is a very different animal from having environmentally adequate insulin. Being insulin deficient due to disease will never produce the same effects of being insulin adequate, even if “insulin adequate” is numerically lower due to dietary preference. It’s really not about bare levels but “ratio”; a certain amount of insulin is required to mobilize a certain amount of energy, and your body produces insulin as needed. On LC we change things so that we require little insulin, however the insulin we do produce is adequate for the task. On LC we are not in a state of insulin deficiency, but of insulin adequacy. Therefore, symptoms of insulin deficiency (such as the inability to use any energy) are not applicable to us.

Should we for whatever reason decide to overstuff ourselves, those extra calories do not disappear. What will happen is your body will raise insulin as necessary to store them as fat. As unglamorous as it sounds, it’s the cold hard truth. 

3) RE: over-eating and low carb.
There seems to be another misconception that one can eat as much energy as they want on a very low carbohydrate diet without gaining weight. Actually, you’ll be surprised to hear that I believe this is mostly true. You are probably wondering how I can say it is possible to eat as much as you want and not gain weight, even though extra calories are stored as fat. Sounds contradictory, but it isn’t. Want is the operative word here. On Atkins we want only to eat to our energy needs. If dietary sugar is satisfactorily restricted, it is in practice rather difficult to eat to the point where we are gaining weight. To understand why this is true you need to understand what happens hormonally when dietary sugar is restricted.

When you deprive your body of sufficient energy from dietary sugars, this causes a shift between the hormones glucagon and insulin. Insulin and glucagon oppose each other in function, and therefore balance between both is ever teetering like a see-saw. Glucagon – the sugar-raising, fat/sugar stores burning, insulin antagonist hormone - is dominant when blood sugar is low. On the other hand, insulin – the sugar-mobilizing, energy-storing hormone - is dominant when blood sugars are continuously high.

These two hormones affect energy balance and satiety greatly. Insulin is ever-lowering the blood sugar, always sending away calories to storage (churning out fat). Because insulin’s principle job is to store energy, it also indirectly induces hunger. Insulin-stimulating blood sugar spiking food will provide relatively little satiety as the energy contents are soon emptied from the blood, leaving you wanting more. Glucagon, on the other hand, is ever-raising the blood sugar and fueling the body from itself as needed. Glucagon does not cause your body to need much food from environment, as your body is food.

A high insulin environment is the equivalent of throwing any energy you give your body into a storage box for later, while at the same time making you feel like you are starving -- even shortly after eating! Imagine sitting down to a huge feast and then just taping all the food directly to your thighs and butt – not eating the food, not getting any satisfaction, just sending that potential energy immediately to your fat-storage zone. You’ve just “consumed” a big meal with hundreds of calories, but have nothing to show for it. You are still weak and hungry and low on energy, and have nothing to show for your meal but bigger thighs and butt.  That, my friend, is what eating foods which promote an insulin-dominant environment does to you. Not only does insulin-dominance encourage rampant fat storage and hunger, but it prevents you from ever using your body stores. As long as insulin is high, that storage box will never open… you’ll just keep throwing more and more energy in it, storing it for a famine that will never come. Even if calories are restricted, someone who is hyperinsulinemic (like a type 2 diabetic), will not be able to lose weight unless something is done about the hyperinsulinemia. This is why people with IRS who don’t lose on 1000 calories of low fat can sometimes lose easily on 1500 calories of low carb.

Compare this to a state of glucagon dominance. A high glucagon environment is the equivalent of opening that chest and taking what you need from it effortlessly and easily. Just as insulin wants to store consumed energy, glucagon wants to burn existing energy. They are total polarities. A high glucagon environment causes your body to stop storing from the winter, and instead allows you to start finally burning it all off. Because glucagon dominance encourages “self-cannibalization” (body fat loss), hunger is dramatically reduced in such a state. The body needs less energy from the environment because it is easily deriving energy from stored fat, amino acids, & muscle/liver glycogen.

Now here is why it is hard to over eat on LC in practice. On LC we are more glucagon-dominant. Insulin plays a much smaller role than it does on a “normal” diet. When ones dietary composition requires high insulin production to mobilize the energy, it is very easy to gain weight because of the hormonal action going on within us when eating that sort of food. This is not true of LC. A high carb (or “high insulin”) diet causes hunger and easier fat storage. A low carb (or “high glucagon”) diet causes low calorie intake and easier “body burning”.

So, yes, theoretically you can gain weight on a LC diet. In theory, too much energy in a healthy body will always result in extra adipose. In practice, it is very unlikely you would be consuming too much energy as low carb forces your body into a state which is self-cannibalizing as opposed to fat-storing. Even if you eat a lot on one day, the fullness will stick with you into the next day because your hormonal state is not conducive to storing fat. Try it some time . Stuff yourself on a LC meal, and that fullness sticks with you for hours and hours. On a HC blood sugar spiking, insulin stimulating meal, the fullness would pass quickly.

3) RE: protein metabolism.
Protein consists of building blocks for tissues known as "amino acids". Dietary excess of amino acids are converted into energy. Amino acids are all either ketogenic or gluconeogenic in nature. Ketogenic amino acids are synthesized into ketones (and used as such), and gluconeogenic amino acids are synthesized into sugar. However, the vast majority of amino acids are gluconeogenic. Your body derives sugar from protein by a process known as gluconeogenisis. Gluconeogenisis, like fat metabolism, is not energy-efficient and some fuel is wasted in the process (but how much is exactly unknown, it is likely to not be much).

4) RE: fat metabolism and the metabolic advantage.
I am open minded to the potential existence of a small metabolic advantage from eating fat or protein. I am sorry, if the metabolic advantage exists it is no where near 120% lack of efficiency. It is simply impossible, far too many people on this forum are eating no where near that amount of calories without losing weight rapidly. The metabolic advantage might allow for slightly more caloric intake, but doubling it? Come on, lets be realistic .

If one is able to go on Atkins, double their previous caloric in take, and still lose weight, this does not offer evidence that calories don’t matter. It doesn’t offer evidence of any superior metabolic advantage either. All that implies is that these people were insulin resistant, hyperinsulinemic, & coming off of a very high sugar diet. Hyperinsulinemia associated with metabolic pathology, as I explained above, makes weight loss impossible -- even when calories are restricted. Just as a complete deficiency of insulin makes fat storage impossible, an abnormal abundance of insulin makes fat loss equally impossible. Totally different state, but same underlying biology: a deficiency or overabundance of insulin interferes with normal metabolic function.

However, these special cases are just that, special. Most people do not have the severe IRS that you or I do. Healthy people with a well functioning metabolism can not double their caloric intake, regardless of where it is coming from, and expect to lose weight. The metabolic advantage, if it exists, is simply not that generous. There are just far too many people on this forum who carefully monitor calories and find they do not lose weight when eating maintenance calories for this theory to have any weight. I should know, I’m one of them.

5) RE: Starvation mode – truths and misconceptions.
Ah the much dreaded “starvation mode”. Yes, starvation mode is a real thing… it’s a hormonally induced physiological state reactive to leptin depletion, that’s the truth. The misconception is that starvation mode is something your body slips in and out of without much thought. Here’s the whole story.

First let me explain what leptin is. Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone released by fat cells. Leptin lets your body know if you are gaining weight, losing weight, or maintaining weight. It tells your body the state of your energy balance via negative feedback loop. Since leptin is produced by fat, when fat is depleted leptin is also depleted. When leptin is depleted, this tells your body famine looms on the horizon. Once famine is perceived, we adapt in response. The way a body adapts to leptin depletion – perceived starvation - is by causing a hormonal shift which results in a number of undesirable things such as hypothyroidism (low metabolic rate, listlessness, depression, feeling cold all the time, etc) and food obsession. This is known as starvation mode.

No, not eating for 1 day will not put you in starvation mode. No, a responsible short-term diet won’t do it either. The only way to experience starvation mode is by seriously depleting leptin.

There are two types of ways to deplete leptin in a healthy body: absolutely and relatively. Absolute leptin depletion occurs when body fat levels have dipped below a certain genetically determined threshold... this threshold is known as our “set point”. It doesn’t matter how carefully or slowly the fat was lost, once body fat falls below our biologically determined “safety zone” we will experience absolute leptin depletion and fight symptoms of starvation. This kind of leptin depletion applies mostly to athletes, actresses, and anorexics… it is not of concern to us.

The sort of leptin depletion that is relative for us dieters is relative leptin depletion. Relative leptin depletion occurs when we are losing too much weight too fast. It is possible for one to still be very far above their absolute leptin depletion body fat level threshold and still experience relative leptin depletion. This is why experts warn that fast weight loss usually preceeds fast weight gain… when we create caloric deficits which are too large we are setting ourselves up to fall hard, as our body will exhibit symptoms of starvation.

Relative leptin depletion is not as easily accomplished as dieters fear. If you are crash dieting, eating almost nothing, and losing weight very rapidly – yes, you might have to worry about putting yourself in “starvation mode”. If you are losing at a reasoned pace, have been on a diet for a relatively short amount of time, then no you do not have to worry about reactive starvation mode.

Eating more calories to “break a stall” in absence of leptin depletion will accomplish nothing. The majority of stalls are caused by too many, not too few calories.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:54
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Poison,

Thanks for this and ALL your hard work in your research. I know that the times when I have upped my fat intake, the loss starts. So, there is truth to your theory. I am having a heck of a time getting my caloric intake up there. Many days my caloric intake doesn't even hit 1000 cals. so I know I'm in starvation mode. (Seems unfathomable after having to watch the calories all those years.) Since you do not have a journal, would you mind sharing some of your day's menus?

I appreciate it in advance,
Dana
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:04

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Wow. Honestly, I cannot thank you enough for that post. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! And after reading it, I have a question for you. How do you get OUT of starvation mode? I do believe it is this diet that is causing my thyroid malfunction (and have believed it for some time now), but I do not know how to correct it.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:08
Registered Member

BF:

Whew

Losing weight isn't as complicated as all of that sounds. I am a firm believer in the belief that the majority of stalls are caused by people eating too many hidden calories (assuming metabolic pathology has been controlled for via utilization of a low carbohydrate diet). People eliminate nuts, all sugar alcohols, dairy, etc to break stalls when in reality it's the calories doing it. They say nuts stalled them, when in reality 200 calories from macadamias was the true culprit, not the macadamias themselves.

Sometimes eating a lot is proceeded by a whoosh. Ever notice you get really hungry right before a whoosh? I've noticed this, and the more weight I lose the more intense it gets. I've had days where I chowed down on 2000 calories only to notice myself down a pound or two the next day. It's tempting to say "ooooh eating all that food caused me to burn 1 or 2 calories overnight, yippie! Better eat a lot today!"
However, I know this is not logically possible. The more likely explanation is that the caloric restrictions from the week or two before actually caused the fat loss. The desire to eat 2000 calories was reactionary to the fat-loss induced dip in leptin. A decrease in scale weight then coincides with the high energy intake, befuddling dieters everywhere.

Here's my take on things. There's no secret to weight loss other than feeding your body adequate - not excessive - amounts of healthy nutrient rich foods. Eat only as much as your body really needs to avoid being hungry. Not full, not stuffed, but not hungry. Eat enough variety so that you don't get bored or feel deprived. Chart your calories using a food scale and a journal if you think it will help you keep a handle on your eating. Enjoy watching your pants get bigger .
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:42

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Awesome, I love when people explain things in one page. Then I can print them out and give them to my mom and hopefully make them understand this WOL (for their health)!!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:47

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am not exactly low carbing so YMMV, but I am keeping my calories pretty low (1400) for someone who exercises as much as I do. I 'refeed' once a week, generally on Saturday. It's not an all out pig out, but it's a 'maintenance level' day where I eat different types of food, including the very high carb type. Generally my calories range 2000-2200 on that day.

It's been working for me. On the occasional week where I skip or skimp on the refeed day I lose less weight (under a pound). I generally lose 1.5lbs a week,but only if I manage to get that day in.

So it works for some people. If you are following a low carb WOE for the rest of your life it may not be as good of an idea, but I am just 'reducing' carbs a bit so it doesn't affect me much. I don't go nuts the next day on carbs, just right back to my normal eating plan.

#29   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 08:12

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Default The original science for your post is wrong....

Quote:
Calories are actually just energy...kilojewels (sp) I believe is what they are called. It takes 4gs of carbs to convert 1 calorie to energy, same with protein. Fat however uses 9gs to convert that same calorie to 1 kilojewel of energy. In other words it takes more than twice as much fat to burn the same calorie as carbs or protein.

I'm a bit confused here about your reasoning, Poisonivy. One gram of carbohydrate when metabolized completely produces 4 Calories (kcal) of energy, which is equivalent to 16.7 kJ (kilojoules). One gram of fat produces 9 Calories (37.7 kJ). [A food "Calorie" is equivalent to 1000 energy calories, or one kilocalorie. A calorie is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. 1 kcal is equivalent to 4.187 kilojoules.]

Nine grams of fat contains 9 x 9 Calories (81 kcal) which is equivalent to 339 kJ.

[Kilocalories and kilojoules measure the same thing, just in different scales. Like Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures. Measure the same thing but have different scales. It doesn't matter which one you use, as long as you are consistent.]

I believe you have gotten your reasoning backwards. Which would mean that it takes half as much fat as carbs (not twice as much as you stated) to produce the same amount of energy, whether it be kcal or kJ.

Yes, there is a metabolic advantage from ketogenic diets, but not nearly as much as we would all like. Certainly not a doubling of calorie consumption. We can consume some small number of calories more than people not on low carb diets can and not gain weight, but energy is energy, and extra consumption will be stored.

I hate to burst the bubble of your post, because it was a good post and logically thought out, but I teach biochemistry, and the science you used for your reasoning was wrong to begin with. I'm sorry.

Joan

Last edited by tagcaver : Sun, May-09-04 at 08:18.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 08:20
Registered Member

BF:

I think what she meant to say was that it takes twice as much fat to fuel the body as efficiently as carbohydrate. (Not that I agree, I just think this is what she meant to say).