Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

We all can't be size 0's. At my skinnest (as an adult) 140 lbs, I was still a size 12. Sometimes we are genetically challenged thanks to our parents. (trust me, I know where I got my bone structure from). What we need to concentrate on is being healthy and happy with who we are first. The surface is just that a surface. Work on the inside (mental) first.

Last edited by Marge : Sun, May-09-04 at 13:17.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 19:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know how you feel: I still have my 29" waist jeans that I wore when I was 120ish lbs (at 5'7"). Sometimes I think, "someday..." But if you have to work that hard to get to it, then yes, it's unrealistic. You could work your butt off (literally), starving and obsessively exercising, but guess what? The minute you stop, your weight creeps back up to the healthy level it wants to be at.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 21:36

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I want to say thank you to everyone's post. I am feeling better. I have been hard on myself my whole life. I did choose Atkins because I love food and this WOE allows me to have what I love and not gain 50 lbs. like any other WOE I have tried. I have written a dialogue here before detailing my problems with an eating disorder right after college (for about the next 8 years) so I battle obsessing. I will say this ... Atkins saved me from my disorder permanently. I may have an obsessive thought or two periodically but that is the end of it.

I have upped my exercise. I fixed my daughter's bike carrier and take my mountain bike (I live in the mountains) on a one hour ride each day then follow-up with 45 minutes of Pilates (The Method ... try it!!!). I have really started to see my strength increase and my flexibility is starting to really show. I like seeing muscles.

I am taking it one day at a time and tell myself that it will get better. Have to stick to it and not beat myself up so much.

Again ... thank you. Support and advice MUCH appreciated.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:37

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Great to hear! I think one thing I'd just love to challenge everyone on this forum to do is not to look in a full-length mirror for six months. In fact, don't look in any mirror at all that shows your body. Then after 6 months take a peek and see how surprised you are at what you see.

A lot of us really have unhealthy notions about where our weight should be. I know I sure did when I was in my early 20s. It took gaining it all back, plus more, and 20+ years to get figured out that I don't need to be a toothpick (not like that was even possible! LOL).

My smallest size ever was a largish 8 to a size 10, and I worked and worked and worked to get into that. Once I quit working so hard, my body gained a few pounds back and settled itself where it was comfortable, around size 10/12. If we treat our bodies right, they tend to try to settle where it's good for them to be.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:12

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's not just doing it for you, it's doing it for your daughter too. You certainly don't want her going through this sort of thing.