Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
although the stupid overpriced and overprocessed junk low carb will probably eventually fade away.

I sure hope so! The grocery store shelves are getting scarier by the day!

Right now, the Atkins and South Beach diets are the latest and greatest thing (remember the Scarsdale diet?), so a lot of people are going to jump on one of them (or one of the other many LC plans out there). In the end, just like Marge said, a lot of people will give up, and those who are serious will be eating low-carb for the rest of their lives because they've experienced the wonderful health benefits of following the plan correctly.

I have a friend who got on the low-carb bandwagon last fall and did great (and is still on it)! Every time I talk to her she asks me if I'm still doing 'the diet'. And every time I tell her the same thing: "You bet! I can't see any good reason not to!"

I'll admit, there are times I'd love to walk into the Maverik store and grab a donut. But that urge only lasts for a short while, and I know that donut, as much as I miss the taste I remember, would only make me sick and likely as not wouldn't taste very good either. (The reason I think it wouldn't taste very good is because I have on occasion had one bite of something I really loved before and it was just yuck!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 00:11

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker
Fade away like low fat? That only took 25-years. If it fades, what's next - low protein?

Low-fat was low protein in many ways. Lots of low-carbers are finally eating enough protein.

I tended to stay away from meat because it was both expensive and, in my mind, fattening. I remember feeling somewhat virtous because I only had meat a couple of times a week. I subsisted on mostly rice and pasta. I could never substain the low-fat thing though, it made me too damn hungry.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:07
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

I hadn't noticed that low-fat HAD faded away. Just about every freaking advert for food here has to blab about "Less than 2% fat"...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:52

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad
I hadn't noticed that low-fat HAD faded away. Just about every freaking advert for food here has to blab about "Less than 2% fat"...

I know. Now that I know better I get so damn sick of hearing about low-fat. My DH, who should know better after hearing so much from me about carbs, brought home a bag of low-fat nachos. When I complained, he said but they are low-fat.

/sigh
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 19:47

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was on Atkins when nobody else was on it. In 1999, it was still low fat. There was no low carb mixes or low carb fast food. When I explained that I was on this diet, people would look at me, shake their heads, feeling sorry for me.

I think the average heavy person is slowly realizing how tough this diet is and how they would rather have a real pizza instead of a fake one.

Real shame, because the obesity numbers will go up agian and everyone will blame the Atkins legacy for it.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 00:49

Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

But I eat real pizza, a lot of LCers do! Only the toppings, of course. I have yet to see someone who would happily trade the toppings for the crust. Without toppings a pizza would be just a flat tasteless piece of bread.
And as far as "fake" goes, almond flour makes a cake so much tastier than bland wheat flour!

Low Carb doesn't require much, just a little willingness to compromise. If it were tough or depriving I know I wouldn't be here.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was watching TV few hours ago and heared someone saying that in january 9% of all Americans have been on low carb diets and now only 4.5% are.

I'm not sure if these numbers are correct. I personally think that low carb diets and specifically Atkins diet is the only diet that works.

I have never in my life seen my weight stabilizing but now. I have also never in my life been allowing myself to eat the food which I like the most but now. So let them all quit if they want, I'm going to stick to the low carb lifestyle for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Samuel : Fri, Nov-12-04 at 07:56.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 23:50

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

That's the beauty of low carb. It's handy to have the specialty foods. But until they ban meat and vegetables, we can always low carb!

If PETA has their way, they will ban meat, and eggs, and milk, and cheese. What the heck do those people eat?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 09:00

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Looking around myself in the 90s, I NEVER had the same impression I am having now: 1 in 20 people I meet has slimmed dramatically! The facts will be there when they look at the statistics.