Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Exercise or Diet --which should come first?
Start exercise program first, before changing the way you eat 9 8.18%
Change the way you eat first and THEN start exercising 64 58.18%
Change the way you eat and begin exercising at the same time 26 23.64%
I don't know or doesn't make any difference 11 10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:00

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would like to change the question from what "should comes" to what "have you started" first. I do not think there is one good way and one wrong day. Everybody has to find the best way:-)

For me to start with an exercise program seemed to be the best choice of all time:-)
Last January I started a running program (actually starting with walking/jogging) - to fight back the first signs of aging. It was such a surprise for my body and metablism, that I lost 8 lbs - without any dietary changes. Followed by an LC diet only one month later. This way I avoided the scale related frustration. From the first day I have seen literally day by day improvement in my walking/jogging as well as in my general health - my insomina, headache etc. disappeared in days. This very visible exercise success has been my biggest motivation for this new WOL. Both during weight loss and now during maintenance.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/300/235 Male 75"
BF:??
Progress: 32%
Default Food First

I voted to change eating habits first. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, as I do, I would get very tired in the gym. After being on Atkins for two months, my energy levels are so much higher and I can get a more productive workout in.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 13:40

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Do it all at the same time.

Changing your mindset about exercise will help you change it about eating as well.

I found myself eating better, simply because I didn't want to nullify the 30min I just spent cycling.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 13:43

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by syokimcus
I voted to change eating habits first. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, as I do, I would get very tired in the gym. After being on Atkins for two months, my energy levels are so much higher and I can get a more productive workout in.

Why not start a light exercising early?

I started with 80lbs to lose and very low energy levels.

I could barely finish 10min of moderate cycling.

2 months later I didn't just have increased energy, I'd put on muscle and was now able to do 60min of cycling no problem.

When you're very heavy, cycling and swimming are great, because they're low impact. Jogging, running, etc is real bad on the joints when you're 75+lbs overweight.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 10:30

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think it depends on the individual. I went to the gym 5x/week and worked out with a personal trainer for a year and lost a whole 18 pounds. I know some of it turned to muscle, but still. Ugh. If I only had a little to lose it wouldn't have seemed so bad, but when you need to lose 80 - 100 pounds you hope to see it go a little faster. I do better at changing the way I eat and getting comfortable with it, and then moving on to exercise, but like I said, every individual is just that - individual!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 19:39

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

IMO exercising first without changing your way of eating first is a waste of time and may even cause you to gain weight if you eat excessive carbs. If you are obese you are more likely more prone to injury, and may become miserable trying to exercise. Lose a decent amount of weight first--as you become lighter and it becomes easier to move, gradually increase your activity. This is just common sense.

As far as "working off" those problem areas, I believe that is a myth. Most people fail because rather than lose the fat in those areas, they build up the muscles. You can't specify which fat in your body you want to burn. If you stick to a low carb diet you will eventually burn all the excess fat in your body.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 01:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I recommend changing eating habits first. The reason I recommend this is because diet is infinately more important in seeing fat loss results than exercise. Results give motivation, and motivation makes you want to not only stick with it, but push yourself further and harder. Plus, once you've lost a bit of weight, exercise is easier to do. This in of itself is motivating.

On the other hand, if you are one of those people who can't stand diets and would prefer to exercise, it might be easier for you to start that way. However, I think the general consensus (well, at least for me!) is that nothing is more uncomfortable, gross, and boring than exercise . At the very least, I think most people have an equal tolerance for caloric restriction as they do exercise so it just makes sense to start with whatever yeilds the best results.

I think the trainer is making the assumption that people would prefer to do exercise, and therefore one should "ease themselves into better health" by doing the easiest thing first. This assumption is not true, especially among those who are very heavy. Like I said, I think most people have a lower tolerance for exercise than they do dieting, plus exercise yeilds smaller results than dieting. I don't see the benefits of doing it that guy's way, other than if you happen to be the sort of person who likes exercise (in which case you probably don't have a weight problem anyway ;D).
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 09:24

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Well that's a toughy and I think it depends on the person. For some, it is too overwhelming to start both at once, and a person might just give it up altogether or not want to even start. Baby steps is a good plan..
I think that first making a habit of exercise is a good plan and once you realize how hard you are working, you start to think about what you are putting in to your mouth and how it can affect your energy, performance levels, and results. When you are working out regularly you start to think of food more as a "fuel" and make better choices.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:28

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

The first thing to do is to go see your doctor first, but that wasn't an option in the poll. I vote to change your eating habits first. I have read somewhere (it could be something Trainer Dan wrote on this forum, or it could be something I read in Escape Your Shape - sorry, I dont remember) that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

From my personal experience in my early 20's, I worked out 6 days a week while eating and drinking whatever I wanted. Yeah I was in pretty good shape, but I was still heavy. I think back to that time and wonder if I had changed my eating habits as well, maybe I wouldn't have spent the last 20 years overweight.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 20:44

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I voted to change eating first for 2 reasons. The first is what already has been mentioned, that eating has more of an affect on weight than diet. The other is that exercise places an additional stress on the body. That stress makes eating correctly even more important for health. Therefore I think you should already be in the habit of eating properly before you start exercising. Of course a very dedicated person could start both at the same time, but I think most people can only change one thing at a time.

Jen
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 01:29
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I think the choice depends on the person. Everyone is different and for me
I had to change my eating habits first otherwise I would not have had the stamina to exercise at all not to mention I had very high blood pressure due to excess use of salt.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 04:16

Stats: 276/195/180 Female 70"
BF:44.3%/33.4%/28%
Progress: 84%

I started Atkins and Curves on the same day. Yes, I was concerned being so heavy and working out, being tired, etc., but I stuck with it. IMO starting both at the same time complimented each other. The results are:

In 11 months:

I have lost 59.5 inches
81 pounds

Started at 276, now at 195...

I started in a size 24...now wear a size 16/Misses Large. NO MORE PLUS SIZES FOR ME!

I had to have my wedding rings sized...I went down 2 ring sizes too!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 15:35

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Copngratulations!

Good for you, JCseaglass! I can't wait to have to resize my favorite turquoise ring. But at least I can wear it again and on a middle finger instead of ring finger.

I've not really done any formal exercise, but my activity level is no longer sedentary. I walk 1.65 miles most weekdays either to the train or home from it and I hike most weekends and I contra dance 2 or 3 times a month. I never can seem to get into an exercise program. I get bored. But if my activity has a purpose or a destination, I do it and love it.

I think for me it's low-carbing. And when I started low-carbing almost 2 1/2 years ago, there was no way I could exercise, I was that unwell.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:05

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I started Atkins first and then about 3 weeks into it was when I added in exercise. I had already lost 15 lbs and exercising really bumped up the results.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 15:09

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

I did start the Diet first and exercise after, but if I could do it over I would start the exercise first and than the diet. The reason why is because since I started exersicing I fell less stressed and have more energy and stamina. That said I think I would benefit starting a Diet with No stress in my life instead of adding more stress to my life by tring to figure out what I have to eat and such.
Just MHO.
Miez