Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:13

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

On Day 3 of induction I was aching all over, craving everything, with a pounding headache. But I had told DH that I was going to stick with this plan for two weeks and I would. Potassium and magnesium supplements got rid of the aches, getting over caffeine got rid of the headache.
Just keep promising yourself that you'll do induction for two weeks. And start thinking about how nice it will be once you lose the weight (clothes, compliments). The energy and good feelings will come, yes they will! Just hold on for two weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:29

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Clean out your cupboards and throw away all cereal, pasta, starchy canned goods, bread, chips, flour, and anything else that doesn't jive with whatever way of eating you have chosen. You will feel sad and then you will feel GREAT.

During induction, when I was craving something salty, I ate string cheese. When I was craving something salty and crunchy, I ate a dill pickle. When I was craving something sweet, I would have one serving of sugar-free Jell-O with Redi Whip. If all that didn't satisfy my cravings, I'd look down at my pudgy thighs and think about how nice it would be to cross my legs normally again.

The first couple of weeks are the hardest, but you need to have willpower. Read these boards constantly because these people are true motivators. Good luck!

~Kelly Deneen
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:49

Plan: Not low carbing anymore.
Stats: 184/152/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm just like you....I find it hard to get past Day 3. It's like I actually see the numbers on the scale do exactly what I want them to do ... and then I tell myself "Self, this is too easy....let's F* it all up and have to start over!". Shame on me. I do the same exact thing when my dad tells me I'm looking good (as in thinner).

You can do it and I'll be here to help you if you need me.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:18
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I cannot tell a lie it's tough!
I quit smoking 8 years ago and it way a heck of a lot easier than quitting carbs. My worse day of induction was day five, I could have murdered anything loaded in carbs that day, but I stayed on track - even when the scales didn't move. It did get better and it's been almost 8 weeks and I can't say I miss the old way of eating.
What helped was getting rid of bad stuff - there is no flour, pasta, rice sugar and their related evils in my house. My brother was the benificiary of the clear out.
I have yet to eat anything I have not prepared. I've invited people over but I've not eaten out. This week is the first test as tomorrow we're doing a Pot Luck Lunch at work and Thursday my Aquasize class is going out for dinner.
Pork Rinds helped for the salty crunch and I must admit I don't seek them out any more. I do have low carb chocolate and it doesn't seem to affect me and cures the desire for the "regular" stuff.
My taste has changed and I do find I get fixes out of what I would have considered the strangest things in my carb loaded days- raspberries and cream cheese sandwiches (slices of cold meat as "bread") for example (not at the same time).
I guess the only other thing I can add was I treated (and still do when I get the urge to cheat) this as a process of re-education. So in the old days when I would grab for something now illegal, I find and alternative (not always food either).
I think if you can cross that hump you will find it easier. And come and "talk" on the board and let us know how it's going.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 310/245.5/150 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I managed a clean two week induction, though I was very ill the first week. I had terrible sugar withdrawels and cravings. I was exhausted, cranky, headachey, lethargic and such. What helped me most, I think, was the supplements. The L-Carnitine and L-Glutamine more specifically, as outlined in Dr. Atkins book. I toughed it out and the second week was much easier. Now it's second nature, no cravings and I feel wonderful. Keep at it, you can do it.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 21:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

What excellent suggestions!! I have found too that I have to be careful what I eat or it will set off cravings...such as the cheese hotdogs that I am not supposed to have. They only have 2 carbs but they cause cravings! So they are out! I usually have trouble when i am adding to the induction menu...that is when the cravings come back, or when I am hungry and don't feel like eating I tend to want something lighter like carbs. I need to find some good alternatives!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:55
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenamac
I thought my craving was over after that, but it came back again 10 mins later and I ran (literally! ) to the shop, bought a whole packet of maryland biscuits and two chocolate bars and stuffed down the lot. I feel so hyper now (As you may tell!) because of the sugar rush, but I know I will feel sleepy in about half an hour and then sad. I just don't know what to do!

I'm on day six of induction and I've lost 8 pounds. I could have NEVER done it without Chocolate. Some people can't do the Splenda type products during induction but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

I discovered Endulge products. Oh my, heaven in a wrapper. They are crunchy cookies, mint, Chocolate, Chocolate Cream, and then Chocolate pieces in the other. They are 4 net carbs. The cookies are the type you would never know they are splenda vs. sugar. They kill my sweet/Chocolate cravings. Honestly, if it weren't for those I don't think I could do it. It also happens to have a gram of fiber too.

Also, I bought some fudge bars (freezer type) and they also have four net carbs. I would never know it was fake sugar if I didn't know beforehand. They are wonderful. Look for foods that will kill your cravings yet are Atkins friendly.

You might have to change a few of your plans too. Example, tonight I was supposed to go to dinner with friends. I felt like crap, had a mega headache, I just didn't want to screw with Atkins. I realized if I went out tonight I would blow my diet. I'm not risking my 8 pounds for one evening, it just isn't worth it to me. Perhaps I'll go tomorrow night but tonight would have been a bad move.

When people invite you to dinner explain to them that you are on a low carb diet. If their menu won't fit your diet, don't go.

Probably not what you want to hear but that's what I have to offer.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia52
On Day 3 of induction I was aching all over, craving everything, with a pounding headache. But I had told DH that I was going to stick with this plan for two weeks and I would. Potassium and magnesium supplements got rid of the aches, getting over caffeine got rid of the headache.
Just keep promising yourself that you'll do induction for two weeks. And start thinking about how nice it will be once you lose the weight (clothes, compliments). The energy and good feelings will come, yes they will! Just hold on for two weeks.

Patricia....

Holy crap! Aren't the headaches horrible? I have had a progressively worse headache for five days now. Nothing kills it, Motrin, Tylenol, Aspirin, nothing. I can't sleep, I can't function ... it's awful.

How long will this last?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:31
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi,

You've got a lot of great suggestions already. If you aren't taking vitamins, you should (that affects how tired I am...and that affects my willpower).

STICK WITH IT FOR OVER A WEEK....the cravings really do reduce.

Keeping low carb snacks around worked for me too.
For a sweet tooth....combine sugar free jello with whip cream from the can (the good stuff)....or....squirt a bunch of whip cream in a glass and then add ice cold diet root beer (instant root beer float).

For a "salt tooth" (does anyone say that??) pork rinds if you like them. Sunflower seeds (in the shell) work very well for me because it takes a looonnnggggg time to overindulge when you're eating a seed at a time. Smokehouse almonds also help my "salt tooth" but warning, I have a tendency to gorge on those.

Stay away from drinking for a couple weeks (bummer, eh?). Drinks can affect your willpower as well as your cravings.

Instead of going to the snack cabinet, walk out of the house immediately and go for a walk. Don't come back until you think you can resist.

Please, please, stick with it, if you're "really good" the cravings really do diminish for almost everyone.

gl...we're here for you
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 00:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/139.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 46%

One thing that has really helped me though this when I get cravings or when I start getting the "sleepies" is I get up and go for a long walk outside. Believe it or not it will actually reverse the sleepy affect and wake me up. When I am fighting cravings, walking gets me out of my house and away from the kitchen and give me time to think about what I am doing here. It's much easier facing the demon when you are a few blocks away from home rather than it being in the next room over.

The other thing I do when I am craving something sweet is I eat a stacker pickle, you know the ones that are sliced longways? I think the vinegar changes what I perceive I want and I no longer want anything sweet.

The last thing is, if you are going over to someone's house to dinner, whip up a low carb dish and bring it. This way you know you will have something to eat if what they have fixed (i.e. lasagna) is not low carb appropriate.

Good luck to you!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

you just dont want to lose it very bad, do you? i aggree with scorpio, getting naked in front of the mirror
should be enough for anybody. i think what worked for me is that i hate fat on my body alot more than i love sweets.. and i aint got to have either. you can do this it is not hard......
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:46
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Don't let yourself get really hungry. That's my downfall, anyway. It's too hard not to grab the first available food when you're starving. Which is only natural, of course! Eat something "legal" before you leave the house, especially if you're going into an unknown situation, like dinner at someone else's house.

Liz
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Another suggestion is to really have healthy snacks ready in the fridge for when that hits...cut up cheese, celery, cucumbers, etc...boil some eggs (they keep for a week)...a treat I like is to roll deli ham (find the low carb/no sugar stuff) with a bit of cream cheese and a slice of cucumber in it, and stick it in baggies. After an egg or a couple of those other things you may be full..then drink LOTS OF WATER....

Good luck