Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:35

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I pack my son these things on his boy sprout trips: Ind. wrapped jerky, peanuts, almonds, morning start bars, sf candy. I like the tuna packet idea too- someone always has mayo packets lying around (hot dog stand? Supermarket deli counter for pickle relish?). Tell the ladies at the church you are allergic to wheat if you have too-they will understand that better than "lo carb" and prob will slip you some extra cheese I know our kitchen ladies didn't like it when one of the men went "lo carb" last summer at VBS, but they went out of their way to make sure he ate-AND they even brought it up last ladies group meeting, how so many people were "doing that Atkins thing" when they were planning a meal last week. I think they are coming around, lol.

Best of luck-and have fun!

Shoes--someone said "If I were in your shoes"-made me think-that's one more place to stash some peanuts! HAHAHA
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

I recently spent a weekend at Cub Scout Winter Camp--talk about a Carb Fest! I survived on eating the bits of protien served,(I did have to eat a chicken-fried steak pattie--yuck!) had some peanut butter on celery, ate pecans from the bag, Morning Start Bars, Atkins Shakes, string cheese, and canned chicken (bought the ones with a pop-top.) Boy, was I craving good food when I got home--we had a low-carb stroganoff--my mouth was watering like crazy!
I didn't gain weight, didn't lose either, but now this week I went back on induction and have lost 2 more pounds! Kind of like a forced "re-feed."
I was really happy that I found myself not even tempted by the sweets served, but was actually craving some good meat.
God Bless you, as you serve Him, and "do not worry about what you will eat; or about your body...Life is more than food...Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap...yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!" (Luke 12:22-24) May the Lord provide you with the good protien you need!

Peach
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: self low carbing
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 0%

Personally, I loved Spock, but I really had the hots for Bones...LOL

I ean only a good ol boy would make pork and beans with Jack Daniels!!!!...LOL
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 05:31

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

There are some really good ideas here, and I wish you much luck if you make the protein powder/tuna diet!! I am though, a bit wary that the starvation possibility could lead you to cheat just through sheer hunger. I admire peachagirls commitment, but I find that if I am hungry I want to stray!!

I just thought I'd mention that an alternative is to switch, temporarily, to a low GI/ South beach later phase type diet. Such a diet is very easy to follow while travelling. It will take you out of keotosis, but you're cravings shouldn't come back. People do lose weight on this type of diet, but your aim should just be to maintain.

The benefit is that for breakfast if their is no eggs, you can have all bran (with milk!) or oatmeal (which is so cheap that it is usually avaliable at catered meal plans, I'm guessing); and for dinner PASTA (very low GI), and spag bol is great cos it contains protein. Just continue to stay away from most breads (especially white, but rye is ok), white rice (some brown is ok), potatoes. Fruits are complicated, but without learning the whole GI chart I'd just stay away from them; or stick to berries, melons, grapefruit.

The idea of suddenly eating pasta etc can be very confronting to somebody sold on Atkins. However, look at all the people that switch to a diet like South Beach and certainly don't GAIN weight! If you can face the fear of carbohydrates, I think a low GI diet is quite easy on the system and shouldn't cause cravings; and, provided portions controlled, you will certainly not gain weight.