Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 00:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I have a dh and 3 children. I am the only one eating lc. For the most part I do as you do and make a main meat dish then we have salad and a veggie. Sometimes our dd will make rice or potatoes. When I cook breakfast I usually make biscuits and sometimes gravy for everyone else (this is HARD for me!). I make a sandwich and chips for him to take to work several days a week because that's what he wants.

DH thinks this diet is fabulous for me and has stated that he doesn't want me to go off of it....but he has no intention of doing it himself - and has indicated that he has no desire for the children to do it either. So they all eat bread, pasta, rice, and tons of sweets, including sugary sweet cereal for breakfast (and dh eats it for snacks a lot too!).

My husband has struggled with being overweight all his life and I know he would benefit from this woe. One of our sons is an exact carbon copy of him and at 8yo is chubby. It doesn't bother him now, but I pray some day he will join me in this woe. I really don't think my dh ever will. He's Italian and bread and pasta are hard core staples for him.

Your dh is making his own choices and since you can't change him it probably isn't something you should be worried about. As long as you're preparing food he likes and he's not complaining then you are doing your part. It's up to him to decide to change things. I'm with the person who mentioned informing him - if it's done discreetly...but ultimately it's up to him.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

freckles - If you are the cook, why not start making the same thing for the kids that your having? I wouldn't recomend LC for kids, but 8 is old enough he can eat whats served, or make his own. Also keeping alot of healthy snacks on hand may help. Kids and teens can be lazy. If it's a choice between making something and grabbing what's there, they will grab (heck I do that many nights as well).

I can understand your husband not wanting the kids to eat very low carb. Cutting down on the sugary treats though and getting them started on healthy eating habits increases the chances they will stick with those healthy habits. It can also help with health, attention span, energy and such. As for your husband, yes let him eat what he wants. If cooking biscuits is hard for you though, don't. He is a big boy and you're not a short order cook. Make breakfast and let him choose to eat it or grab something for himself. It sounds mean but after a while getting the whole family eating healthier makes this WOL easier fo ryou and benifits them greatly.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Thumbs up

Hello all, and thank you so much for all your advice.

Maybe I'm being overly dramatic. My boyfriend is over 40 and I know that at that age you can't eat all the junk you can when you're 20 or 30 and get away with it. But he just had a complete physical and his cholesterol was fine, so I don't suppose he's going to drop dead any day soon.

He's very happy with my progress, so maybe it'll rub off and he'll start cutting down on the simple carbs. I hope so. In any case, I'll leave some reading material lying around and I've replaced the ordinary pasta with whole wheat pasta, and I have also found him a better breakfast cereal. I think I'll just keep trying to sneak in a few changes, and hopefully he'll start thinking about what he eats at work.

Thanks again! You've given me lots of good ideas.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 18:36
California Dreamin

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

My 18yr. old son & I both eat LC, but as for my husband, no. He also says he could not do it. He is however very supportive of me LC..Yesterday (Valentine's Day) he got me some of my Fav. diet rootbeer soda, a LC English Toffee Roll, and a couple Atkins Bars. I thought that was so sweet since he actually went to a nutritional store that he doesn't even go to unless he is with me.
Its def. someones individual choice how they eat. I feel both my husband and I reach compromise so both of us are able to eat what we choose..It seems to be working for us.