Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think sugar alcohol must be counted in the "net carbs" amount. Sugar alcohol is not a necessary ingredient in any product and if lo carb food manufacturers are forced to count sugar alcohols, they will find a substitute for them.

Last edited by Samuel : Sat, Feb-07-04 at 22:39.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 07:31

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

After reading this piece, I don't really trust *anything* the CSPI says. What a bunch of jerks!

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/cspi.html
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 09:49

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"I want the information about carbs, fiber and alcohol sugars on the label. But I don't see the need for the government to make low carb food makers jump through hoops no one else has to."

I look for foods high in fiber with little or no sugar alcohols. I pay no attention to the "sugars" values, and feel strongly this should be removed. I've heard people say, "this has 10 carbs, 2 are sugars, so the rest must be fiber! Fiber is good!"

A LOT of people do not understand the labels. They don't understand fat labeling, they won't understand carb labeling. Simple labeling will help us that read and understand the numbers. But, like the low-fat craze, if people choose to not educate themselves, they'll choose wrong.

If people just look for "low carb" and "lower carb" and don't understand the need to keep a tally and stick with a daily limit, they'll fall into the same trap as they did with the low fat craze.

Labeling is a start, but education is essential. Without the education it's not going to help. And, unfortunately, we're not going to see the education we think is necessary, since the "powers to be" are uneducated themselves!

Put everything on the label....Total fat with saturated fats, trans fats, monos, polys, each listed individually....Total carbs with sugars, sugar alcohols, fiber, glycerin, each listed indivdually. If it's not there, (at all, not just <1%) it can be omitted from the label. But if it's present it must be there.

To me, because we all react differently, it's crazy to only list some values. If I decide to choose foods low in saturated fats, or fiber, or sugar alcohols, or whatever, I should be able to read a label and make choices based on the values, not just the ingredients! (Unless, of course, they start listing percentages for each ingredient!)
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here's my Ideal Food Label --

Code:
Serving Size 6 oz Servings 2 -------------------------------------------- Kilocalories 180 Glycemic Index 23 ± 7 -------------------------------------------- Total Fat 3.00g Saturated 1.00g** Trans-Fat 0.00g** Polyunsaturated 0.50g** Monounsaturated 1.50g** Cholesterol 100.00mg Total Carbohydrates 6.00g Soluble Fiber 4.00g** Insoluble Fiber 1.00g** Sugars 0.50g** Starches 0.50g** Total Protein 37.00g Total Alcohols 5.00g* Ethanol 0.00g* Sugar Alcohols 0.00g* Glycerine 0.00g* -------------------------------------------- Sodium 120mg * Calcium 152mg Potassium 240mg * Magnesium 172mg -------------------------------------------- Vitamin A 5.0% * Vitamin C 6.5% Vitamin D 2.7% * Thiamine 2.3% Vitamin E 9.8% * Riboflavin 1.7% Vitamin K 8.6% * Niacin 2.5% Phosphorous 12.0% * Pantothenic Acid 1.6% Selenium 15.3% * Vitamin B6 2.4% Copper 12.4% * Folate 7.6% Manganese 17.8% * Vitamin B12 5.6% -------------------------------------------- Tryptophan 38.5% * Lysine 12.5% Methionine 17.4% * Phenylalinine 16.4% Threonine 17.1% * Valine 16.8% Leucine 17.8% * Isoleucine 28.7% -------------------------------------------- Linoleic Acid 0.17g * Linolenic Acid 0.23g CLA 0.17g * DHA + EPA 0.10g -------------------------------------------- α-Carotene 150mg * Lycopene 0mg β-Carotene 100mg * Leutin 20mg β-Cryptoxanthin 12mg * Zeaxanthin 17mg -------------------------------------------- Ingredients: Water, Fish Oil, Beef Tallow, Whey Protein, Wheat Protein, Grade AA Butter [Cream,] Salt, Baking Powder [Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate.]

Items marked with a star can be omitted if the amount is ZERO. Not <1, but truly ZERO. EFAs, Essential Amino Acids, Vitamins, Minerals, and Carotenoids can be omitted if the amounts are ZERO, but where the amounts would be listed, it should read: "Not a source of Essential Fatty Acids," "Not a source of Essential Amino Acids," "Not a source of Vitamins or Minerals," "Not a source of Carotenoid Antioxidants," "Not a source of Vitamins [Insert Vitamins Here]," etc...Items marked with a double star could be omitted if there was ZERO of their type, for example a count for Soluble Fiber is not necessary if there's ZERO Carbs, and a count for Saturated Fat is not necessary if there's ZERO Fat.

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Feb-08-04 at 12:34.