Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 22:36
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am addicted to these, they are WAY better than any full carb bar out there.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/260/160 Female 5'7"
BF:53/52/25
Progress: 27%

is fractioned oil the same as hydrogenated?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I do not really know. I have done a search on the internet, but all I really found on Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil was Dr. Weil's website, but take it with a grain of salt, for Dr. Weil can be flaky on health issues (like weight loss, for he could use a little less carbs, if you know what I mean) Here what he says:

Today's Question
Tropical Oils: What’s Healthy? What’s Not?

In the past few years, I’ve noticed an influx of “health” foods containing fractionated palm oil. How is this different from regular palm oil and from palm kernel oil? Is it healthier?

-- Karen Kwiek

Today's Answer
(Published 10/18/2002)
You’ve asked a good question about a rather confusing subject. The African oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) or its American hybrid variety (Elaeis oleifra) is widely cultivated in tropical areas and produces a fleshy fruit from which two oils are extracted: (1) palm oil from the fruit and (2) palm kernel oil from the pit. Both contain a lot of saturated fat, but of the two, palm oil is the healthier of the two, both because it has less saturated fat and because it has high antioxidant activity from a significant content of natural vitamin E (including both tocopherols and tocotrienols). It can also be extracted gently by pressing the pulpy fruit.

Rees Moerman, product engineer at Spectrum Naturals, a California company, which sells high quality expeller-pressed oils, tells me that unlike palm oil, palm kernel oil can’t be obtained organically. Instead, the oil must be extracted from the pit with a gasoline-like hydrocarbon solvent. In short, palm kernel oil is a cheap, unhealthy fat, and I recommend avoiding food products containing it.

Fractionation is a further phase of palm oil processing, designed to extract and concentrate specific fatty acid fractions. Fractionated palm oil, as found in food products, has a higher concentration of saturated fat than regular palm oil and is used for the convenience of manufacturers who like its stability and melting characteristics. The healthful aspects of natural palm oil are largely lost in the process. I’ve noticed that fractionated palm oil is now a common ingredient in many power bars sold in health-food stores.

The bottom line is that of all these oils, organic, minimally processed palm oil is the healthiest, followed by conventionally processed palm oil. Palm kernel oil is less healthy still, and fractionated palm oil is the least desirable.

Dr. Andrew Weil
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:30

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

I give these bars a thumbs up

Does anyone know what factionated palm kernal oi is? I suppose it is somehow different that hydroganated since thew label lists no trans fats.

They make a nice quick breakfast with a little added protein since they only have 10 grams and that's a bit on the low side for an energy bar. On the flip side, the calorie content is not bad either.

Peanutbuter-Carmel is my favorite too.
Christy
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/140 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress:

These are the only reason the Atkin's is hard for me!!! I AM ADDICTED TO THE PEANUT BUTTER CARMEL NUT BARS!! I eat two of them most days...expensive if nothing else!! I don't buy the variety packs because I don't like the brownie flavor or the cookie flavor nearly as much as the peanut butter one. I pick them up at Walmart for $1.37 each, not too bad unles you eat them every day. I think giving up a 35 year Coca-Cola habit might not be as hard as limiting my intake of these. I just have to keep telling myself: "I WILL NOT STOP BY WALMART TODAY, I WILL NOT".... you get the picture!