Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 13:02
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

With the number of sweetners that are on the market today it makes the variations almost limitless. Unless somebody has experimented with a certain combination, it seem that it would be almost imposible to say what the ultimate combo is. I have experimented with erythritol,splenda,polydextrose,fiberfit, and stevia. After my attemps I have met with some success but they vary from recipe to recipe. One thing I do is if I sample a product that I like, I alway look at the combination of sweetners in it. They are supposed to be listed from highest to lowest amounts so that might give a clue as to proportions.

I also have a couple of cookbooks that have conversion charts in appendix and to be honest I am more confused after reading them then I was to begin with.

It would be nice to find somebody who has pulled it all together in 1 place.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 11:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Does polydextrose carmelize? I want to come up with a recipe for our favorite (though we only make it a few times a year)--pecan pie. I made one with SF maple syrup and splenda and it was "okay" but not what I expect from pecan pie. I'm planning to try polyd for my next attempt but I think it needs something that will carmelize. I've considered adding some DaVinci's caramel but it still won't replace carmelizing (and it's too thin to add much).
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, PDX carmelizes. I've used it to form crusts on meat. I think Scott123 has a recipe here for caramels with PDX.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000
Does polydextrose carmelize? I want to come up with a recipe for our favorite (though we only make it a few times a year)--pecan pie. I made one with SF maple syrup and splenda and it was "okay" but not what I expect from pecan pie. I'm planning to try polyd for my next attempt but I think it needs something that will carmelize. I've considered adding some DaVinci's caramel but it still won't replace carmelizing (and it's too thin to add much).

There's definitely pecan pie with PDX happening at www.lowcarbfriends.com, and maybe posted here already too. Have you SEARCHed here in the Sweet Treats or Baked {whatever} (sub)forums yet, or checked out those helpful lists of the recipes at the top of each of the (sub)forums?

Also, the carb counts on Equal (aspartame) are very likely on the box/container, as it requires a Nutrition Facts label just like any other product...and there's www.equal.com -- are the numbers rounded or something and therefore not helpful on the granular Equal?

I just did a quick Google on ' equal aspartame nutrition facts' and this very helpful site came up, you will find this VERY interesting (and not just for the equal):

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21SE.html {keeping in mind that emptying packets to get 1 Tsp worth is probably at least 4 packets}...

Check it out.