Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

well, weight loss is of course my main objective but I picked LCing because I was having some diabetes warning signs. my right foot was going numb when I walked and my urine was always cloudy. no one in my family is diabetic so I did some research and found out that not all diabetes is genetic and alot of it is diet. I did even more research on LCing because so many people say how bad it is for you. Now my foot is never numb, I don't get sleepy after I eat, my urine is clear as a bell and I don't get hungry 20 mins after eating a meal.
I never knew a "diet" could be so easy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, RoseTattoo, I got the same great reaction from my dental hygenist. She said mine looked great, you must be very diligent. I told her I am somewhat diligent, but the big difference was in the way I was eating. She was impressed!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great thread idea.

I started having obvious blood sugar problems about five or six years ago - but I ate a "healthy" low fat vegetarian diet , so I didn't think much of it. Then, after a horrible run-in with depo-provera, my hormones went nuts and the blood sugar problems worsened dramatically. I was in really rough shape. Some gals from a depo-provera recovery site swore by a low carb diet, but I thought to myself, "what does diet have to do with hormones?" So I dug a little deeper and did some research.

Click. The rest is history.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 12:29.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 10:56

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default My start had nothing to do with weight

Can't say that I don't appreciate the weight (or at least inches) lost, but it was not my motiviating factor.

My TOM has become progressively worse, with horrid cramping. My physician gave me pain killers that practically knocked me out.

So, I had an option - stay at home for a couple days because of cramps, go to work practically incapacitated because of the drugs, or try to suffer through it.

My chiropractor gave me another option - he said to go on a low carb way of eating, with almost zero carbs a few days before hand (or at least only on those days). I switched almost immediately and have gone for about three months with minor twinges, but am functioning like a "real" person, and am not having to take "a pill for every ill".
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/127/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%/28.7%/??
Progress: 94%

Starting in 7th grade, I began to get horrible migraines. By the time I was 22, I had all the symptoms of hypoglycemia as well. (And all this time I weighed about 112 lbs in Jr. High and HS, and 120 lbs after that... so it wasn't weight related).

People kept telling me all I had to do was eat more, but it didn't help at all! I had three children, my weight went up and down a few times, and the migraines and hypoglycemia symptoms got a LOT worse.

Finally, when I was about 30, my brother gave me a couple books about a "hypoglycemia diet" to read.

I read the books, and decided they sounded similar to what I had heard about Atkins, so I read his book too. That's all it took! I went on induction, quickly lost the weight I had put on after having my kids, and, best of all, my migraines dissappeared, and so did the hypoglycemia!!

I know it is the diet that helped me, because I have fallen off the wagon for extended periods of time (to try and save money by stretching meals out with carbs). I didn't end up saving very much money, and my awful symptoms came back.

Sooo, it was health reasons rather than weight reasons that got me started on Atkins, but I have to say I appreciate the weightloss too- and the energy I now have to actually workout and get in good shape!