Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

Try the fat fast for a bit, Ag. I heard it works really well. Also, keep up the working out. One more thing, are you taking supplements? I just started and it moved me out of my plateau. Keep going! Also, try to find hidden carbs in your normal induction state after the fat fast . That was part of my problem - the carbs found in Splenda, etc. Stay on induction for longer this time. I have to do that now in order to see the results fast enough to stay motivated. So I understand your impatience...I feel like if I were to see results faster I would be more motivated to stay on Atkins and keep going. You can do it...the little changes make a big difference. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:29

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%

LadyBelle, If the problem was sticking with the plan then i think that's an easy problem to tackle......find another plan. The problem is with not losing. The 1st time around, i stuck with it for 6 months......lost 10lbs in 2 weeks (induction) and nothing else after. I stayed with it bcos i felt healthy and i didn't feel hungry. I decided to try something else........Calorie Counting. That was DIFFICULT bcos i then had cravings, so i went back to Atkins but after moving i lost my momentum. Then i went back to calorie counting to maintain. Now that i'm settled, i'm now trying to do things differently and see what would get the weight shifting. Why did you try the Fat Fast?

Thanks Beachjen. Little words of encouragement make the greatest difference. I do have to get back to taking my supplements. I haven't since i restarted.

Last edited by ageekott : Wed, Oct-29-03 at 09:31.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Love the fat fast!

I have a different perspective on the fat fast. I actually love it. I've done about 10 of them in the last year and a half. I never feel sick on it. Actually, I have an incredible feeling of well-being. The thing I like most about it is that it totally removes my food cravings. It helps me feel more in control of my eating. I don't feel hungry AT ALL, which for me is such a blessing.

I do tend to be metabolically resistant, due to years of yo-yo dieting, including several protein-sparing-modified fasts (OptiFast). So for me, the fat fast is heaven-sent. I know this is not for everyone, but it is part of my low-carb regimen. While on the fast, I make sure to take all my vitamins, minerals and supplements, and also make sure I have some form of protein, usually an egg, or some chicken. I also work in some flaxseed meal for regularity. I also tend to do the lower end of the fat requirements. Atkins says you can have 75 to 90 % fat on the fast. I generally do 75-80% fat.

MayLisa
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:39

MaryLisa, 10 Fat Fasts!!!!!! I can see its working for you. I'm all the more encouraged .
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:46

Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default stalling and hair loss

Hi, I have been on a 3 month stall, and my hair is falling out so rapidly I'm afraid I will be bald. They checked my thyroid like month and half ago and said if there were any probs. they would call. Well i never heard from them.
So, I'm wondering if Atkins makes your hair fal out, I had my son. June of 2002 and it did start falling out a little I know that is normal. but now I get at least 2 handfuls a day. I don't think I would have a thyroid prob. since I lost 50 pounds since March, would you think? If you have thyroid prob. could you still lose 50 pounds that quick.???????

Please any advice
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:32

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

ageekott, the nice thing about the fat fast is that it gets your weight moving down, fast; Atkins says it can break your metabolic resistance, but what I like about it is how encouraging it is.

I mean, I would start the week wearing one size, and end it wearing another.

It really got me into the gym, taking my supplements, pounding the water, because I felt so rewarded for my efforts.

I recommend using fitday to do it, though, because then you can really keep track of exactly what your fat, protein, & carb percentages are.

Obviously, the fat fast is so extreme that it's not a long term solution, but it can rejuvenate your faith in your ability to lose weight, and -- at least according to Atkins -- it can teach your body to start metabolising its own stored fat, thus breaking the stall.

Also, low thyroid CAN cause hair loss. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism for years. My hair was like straw, sparse, dull, raggedy looking. I was also very sleepy all the time, my hands and feet were always icy cold, I was gaining weight, and I was prone to depression. I didn't have the other symptoms though (most folks also get constipated & their periods stop.)

The good news is that once you get on the synthetic thyroid it's completely cured.

Lacey O, in another thread in this forum, Rosebud directed me to a link about hairloss on this diet. Apparently it's quite common, due to the stress on the body from losing weight so rapidly. You start losing your hair about three months after rapid weight loss. The hair loss is usually temporary. I know how horrifying it is to have handfuls of hair coming out every day, and it's even more horrifying to start to see your scalp along the top of your head. But for most people the follicles will return to producing hair. (I wish I could say it's 100% of the time but the article didn't quite guarantee that we'd get it all back.)

Also, lots of women lose a lot of hair right after pregnancy. It's very, very common. What happens is, there's a normal dormant/active cycle for your hair follicles. Usually it's random. But when you're pregnant, all the follicles on your head get synchronized for some reason and they're all on the same cycle, so when they all go dormant at the same time, you feel like you're going bald. Again, this is temporary for most people. [This is according to a friend of mine who's a physician who was talking to me about my hair loss and said that childbirth is the most common reason for hair loss in young adult women. She said she's also seen overdosing on vitamin A cause hair loss.]

Anyway, I'm going to see a dermatologist this week and I'll let you know if I learn anything useful.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:39

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Lacey O,
you should call whoever did the testing and ask to see the results. Just because they didn't call, doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong. Two different family members of mine have had thier lives in jeopardy because the lab never called back. It was always some simple clerical error, humans make mistakes, but now I always demand to be shown the results. If the lab won't respond to you, have you doctor do it.
I don't want to start a panic, and I don't hold anything against med labs, but I say that it's my life and I want to know what's going on.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

going to do fat fast for two days... then back to induction for me... will keep everyone posted..

have a good one,
Korry
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:53

Lacey O, Yes, do give them a call.

Rhaazz, I had the TSH and Free T4 tests and they both came back normal. This can happen for various reasons, for me.....Depo BC. I do have a lot of the symptoms for an underactive Thyroid, so i've been reffered to an Endocrinologist.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:08

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Good luck ageekott! Let us know how it goes!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I just don't understand how the fat fast is any better than the yo-yo and fad dieting that got a lot of us to this point to start with? IMO, it's better to heal your body with good food and learning healthy habits...THEN the weight will come off. It isn't a race.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:16

I know...

But never tried it, and would like to see its "effectiveness" I will stop it immediately if I sense or find something out-of-whack... (probably last 1 day on it anyway... but just out of curiousity will try)

Have a good one,
Korry

P.S. Yes it is yo-yo dieting... I am more interested in the effects physiologically speaking... rather than the weight loss itself...
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I agree!

Potatofree: I agree. This isn't a race. I don't do the fat fast primarily to lose weight fast, although that is a nice benefit. I do it to keep myself disciplined, and to train myself to recognize true hunger. I am an emotional binge eater. If I go off-plan, I suffer from intense psychological and physical food cravings. Doing the fat fast helps me to realize that I don't have to stuff myself with food to be satisfied. After a few days on the fat fast, induction looks like a feast to me! Doing Atkins for me just feels good, and the fat fast helps me to fine-tune my system and my metabolism. It helps keep me committed to my food plan.

I know this is not for everyone. Not everyone benefits from the fat fast, or needs to do it. I have been over 100 lbs overweight for most of my adult life. My metabolism is shot from years of yo-yo dieting. I can go months without losing significant amounts of weight if I don't watch my food intake very carefully. This discourages me and causes me to go off plan. The fat fast helps keep me disciplined, honest and committed to my program. When I make it part of my program, I do better, emotionally and physically. This is just my experience, from my own unique perspective. I definitely don't advocate it for everyone.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:23

on second thought...

Couldnt tough it out on fat fast...

What was I thinking... I love eating meat, so here I am back on OWL...

Have a good one,
Korry
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:35

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Since you always seem to get stuck at the same weight, it might be something I read about, where people tend to stay at a weight level where they have spent a lot of time previously.
My mother went down quickly to one level she had been at for years, then went down to her high school graduation weight, though that's still too much, and is losing again now after a long stall.
You might need to just hang in there and get past that barrier. Your body is expecting you to cave then...trick it by not doing so.
And definitely get that thyroid problem taken care of.