Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/143/143
BF:
Progress: 100%

Insect Fragment Count
This measurement was investigated and found to be too complex for immediate implementation. The requirement was to find a single rodent hair and\or 20 insect fragments in 50 grams of flour. A concentration step, called a filth test, was required prior to measurement of the insect fragments and rodent hairs. This concentration step also isolated other contaminants, such as weed seeds, dirt and metal bits. Given the wide variety of material present in the sample and the inability to predict what might be present, we were unable to derive a satisfactory dye method to solve this problem.

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english...docs/fp4016.htm
For this reason Central Hudson Lab will purchase and test a different brand of flour each month. The results of our filth analysis will be published three times a year
2001 Results on 50 gram sample using AOAC extraction procedures:
(month collected is noted below)

JAN 2001

8 insect fragments

FEB 2001 4 insect fragments

MAR 2001 11 insect fragments
2 rodent hair (4, 0.25mm)*

APR 2001 14 insect fragments
1 mite
1 rodent hair (2mm)*

MAY 2001 4 insect fragments

JUN 2001 110 insect fragments*
1 rodent hair (3mm)*

JUL 2001 4 insect fragments
1 thrip skin

AUG 2001 16 insect fragments
1 rodent hair (1mm)*

SEP 2001 19 insect fragments

OCT 2001 11 insect fragments

NOV 2001 5 insect fragments
1 thrip skin

DEC 2001 123 insect fragments*
http://www.centralhudsonlab.com/flour.shtml

The above samples represents 50 grams of flour, not sure how much flour in a loaf of bread, if a loaf of bread is one pounf call it a bit over, say 500 grams, that means a loaf of bread would contain 10 times the amount of insect fragments etc..
The ingredient for a loaf of bread in June should read, also contains 1100 insect fragments and 10 rodent hairs.
Maybe February and May may be the best month's to buy flour.

Yar
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 00:41

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Notice how many cookbooks tell you to sift the flour? have been told two things bout that, one that it aerates and unpacks the flour, so you get consistent measurements. two, it strains out mouse pellets and such. Well, consider primitive agriculture, oxen grinding out the corn, most likely defiling it a bit. Hams hung in the attic, who knows what crawled over them. Bits of caked-on crap falling from the cow's udder into the milk pail. We're still here, possibly mankind does not need to be quite as puckey-free as we civilized types would like. Oh yes, my mom worked in a ketchup factory, they were supposed to get MOST of the worms out of the tomatoes as they sped by on a belt to the squishing machine. Most. There, Yar, we've grossed everybody out, at least they'll be glad they are not eating flour and ketchup anymore. Bill
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/143/143
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use to push those lumpy bits through the sieve, no one told me they were mouse pellets, yet, true i am still here.

Fresh worms in tomatoes, they are ok, they are going into ketchup and will get there dose of preservatives, bit of extra protein, no problem.

Rotted meat, in the form of dead insects, not really my cup of tea, something i do without, together with the dirt and metal bits, not to mention the residual pesticides.

A good all round wholesome food.

I understand where you are coming from, yes we can go a bit overboard to be, "puckey-free", most likely to our detriment.

Yar