Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??
Progress: 29%

Thanks for the great info! Looks like the stuff I got is not Tonalin. I have sent email to zipvit company to ask them for some details. I am still going to take it. I guess if it doesn't work at least it won't do any harm. I am new, new, new to supplements and have never taken anything before while on Atkins but decided now is the time to start - not the best start but I'll get there
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 10:01

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Vess,

I didn't see your previous messages, but I wanted to let you know I took 3.2 grams a day when in active weight loss, cut back a bit lately as I'm maintaining.

Absolutely look for Tonalin before you decide it doesn't work for you. I had a friend who bought a cut rate version and she immediately felt the difference. The real stuff seems to do very well for most people.

I'm glad to help!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 09:25

Plan: Atkins, Now Medical Weigh
Stats: 217/206.4/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%

I just bought some at Vitamin Outlet. I bought the Natrol Tonalin CLA. It was a little pricey, $26.99 for 90 1000 mg softgel tablets. I'm anxious to try it. It doesn't really say how many times to take it. It says take one softgel with a meal. I think I'll take it 3 times a day, or should I take more? I couldn't find anything over the 1000 mg that was also Tonalin.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 15:32

adkpam said she was taking 3.6 I think, so 3 might be OK. I have read on the net that for weight loss some people take 6x1000mg - all taken in the morning. I certainly can't afford that!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 09:20

BF:

I started taking my CLA yesterday. I took 3 tabs (1000 mg). Today I'm up a pound. It could just be water weight. I know I'll have to give it more time.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:16

Yes, certainly give it more time! My weight has been up and down a pound each day (yeah I know I shouldn't weigh every day) but overall I am down on a weekly basis. Also finally started exercise today and didn't feel that tired after that - normally I am half-dead after first few days of exercise. Don't forget that it's only a supplement and the main thing is to stick to the diet and do your exercise - I am sure you will lose then and whatever weight is lost on top from taking CLA is just extra bonus (not that there is a way to know if weight lost is from CLA). I am getting confused myself...I will probably take it 3 weeks and then have 1 week break as some people here suggest and then I might be able to see if it makes any difference

VEss
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 04:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187.8/164.5/125 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 37%

Can I take CLA in conjuction with essential oils?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 17:38

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

New information. Trader Joe's now has its own private label brand of CLA. If you look carrefully, on the back, you can see that it is Tonalin brand. It does not have the Tonalin logo, however.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 09:10

BF:

I have been taking CLA for about a month now and I have been weight lifting and doing crunches for a month. I haven't lost an ounce of weight but have lost inches. I lost 2 3/4 from my waist and 4 inches from my abdomen. I'm not sure if the CLA helped because I have been working out as well. I'm not going to take it this month so I can compare.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 08:34

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I just bought some CLA (from www.iherb.com) -- the brand is NOW and the info says:

CLA ( Conjugated Linoleic Acid ), Now Foods, 750 mg, 180 Softgels
• From 1000 mg of Safflower Oil
• A Dietary Supplement

with the following note:

Note: This product is not the "Tonalin" Brand of CLA. Since they don't pay for the trademark, it is less expensive. The same softgels are sold by few other companies at up to twice the price! It has also passed the test by consumerlab.com

I paid $20 for 180 softgels, each containing 750 mg CLA (so 3 g will be 4 softgels, this is a 40-day supply).

The next-best price (for Tonalin CLA) was $24.04 for a 30-day (same dosage) supply.

I ordered before I read this thread, sure hope that what I ordered is just as good, the price difference is nice but not worth it if the stuff isn't "good"....

I read somewhere (?) that 3 - 3.4 g CLA was necessary for results to be seen -- any comments on this? I plan to start with 3 g, then bounce up if indicated -- but slow-acting supplements are really hard to judge effectiveness of! I've started noticing some muscle-definition in my belly region (I exercise!) -- but the belly fat is still there and I'm hoping CLA will help...
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 07:47

BF:

Hi Bonnie,

I read a big paper from somewhere in Scandinavia which showed the best results from 3.2g, but good results with lesser amounts, so let your pocketbook be your guide, sometimes.

I slacked off on it, but decided it was worth the money, especially now I'm trying to get rid of a few summer pounds.

Thanks for the link!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 09:08

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

another CLA question:

I expect to get my order today or tomorrow -- I will be leaving for vacation in a week. During our vacation (driving along the CA-OR-WA coast), I doubt that I'll keep up with all my exercises -- laying on a hotel floor is NASTY! -- plus my husband is not terribly patient when he's ready to GO! - LOL!

So, will it help any to start taking the CLA now, even though exercising will be reduced -- or should I wait and start taking it with my full exercise regime????

Thanks,
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 12:17

BF:

Absolutely! I'm still not formally exercising, just trying to get walks in, and it's still wonderful.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 12:23

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

What does cla do? and how does it help with weight loss?
I have 25lbs to lose?Will it help a stall?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 13:56

BF:

It's a substance that used to be in meat when the animals ate grass, now sadly lacking. You can read more in my journal

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...82&page=1&pp=15

Entry # 8

...or follow the link below.

Read all about it:
http://www.cla-conjugated-linoleic-acid-tonalin.com/