Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Body types are soooo different. Also, the muscle vs. fat issue make clothes fit differently for even the same person.

A good example would be me. When I became pregnant with my daughter, my first doctor's apponitment was at 3 weeks. I weighed 199 then. I was wearing a size 18. I had fat rolls, was un-toned and looked just awful. Now, at 211, I am toned and muscular. I now wear a size 14-16 and even 2 skirts that I have are 12s. So even though I am still 12 pounds heavier than that point, my body type is MUCH different on the way down the scale than on the way up (and this is after 2 kids).

If that's not argument enough for everyone to excersise, then I don't know what is. LOL. It makes all the difference in the world.

~Angi~
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 08:51

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Alot of it is personal preference on how you want clothes to fit."

I agree completely with this statement. I'm 5'6" and reached my goal weight some time ago. I have been a dedicated exerciser since I was 29 years old (many, many years ago....). I could fit into clothes 1 or 2 sizes smaller than I buy but I can't stand things being tight. I'm just the opposite of the poster who said that wearing a tight waistband makes her eat less. It just makes me feel miserable and fat.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 09:36

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have to agree about wearing tight pants...I absolutely can't stand clothes that restrict me. It also makes me feel fat.
Stretchy T-shirts are ok..I can handle that, but anything that is tight in the below the waist area drives me nuts..it's like undies riding up...just wrecks my whole day trying to rearrange them...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:59

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Hehe I agree with csj. I like to enjoy my food. Wearing tight clothes would make me feel like a fat slob and miserable.

But whatever works for you to curb your cravings
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

Congrats on getting into a size 16 and looking HOT!
I can't wait to get into a 20 and just feel DECENT!
My trouble is, I have been so comfortable being fat and wearing tents that I don't know what looking GOOD in clothes feels like! But I am on my way...40 pounds lost and down two dress sizes. I never in my life wore a pair of jeans...isn't that sad!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 12:46

Plan: WW Core/South Beach
Stats: 245.6/211.9/160 Female 4' 11"
BF:32.6
Progress: 39%

I wish I was a size 16. I have never been that small to wear anything below a size 12. I am not small boned and my body even when small don't look it. Even as a teen back in the year of the dinosaur I was never tiny.

hugz
Nancy
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 13:47

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 210/185/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Just a thought - might have to do with your having 50% body fat. Check out the body fat of those who are able to fit into clothes that are in a smaller size than what you wear. I used to think the same thing also. After I started exercising I really saw what a different the muscle makes!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 04:26

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%

Just for the record, bone structure and amount of muscle on your frame are the two biggest determiners of what size clothes you wear. I was 140# at 5'6" and wore an 8-10. I was a PERFECT 10, but could wear dresses in 8's. I worked out all the time and was REALLY toned and muscular. Everyone guessed me at about 125. So, going by the scale is not always the best! It's how you look and feel.

Charlotte
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 05:01

Plan: WW Core/South Beach
Stats: 245.6/211.9/160 Female 4' 11"
BF:32.6
Progress: 39%

Very good poing Charlotte, ty

Nancy
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 06:06

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

This has been very interesting to read. I had an undiagnosed illness and saw my weight creep up and up over 30 lbs but power-walked for 45 mins every day at work and didn't see that much of a change in the way my clothes fit, other than that they got tighter, but not enough to push me from a size 10 to a 12 until I hit "the crisis". I had surgery, but the illness took a huge toll and I saw my weight balloon over a period of several years when I barely had the strength to get out of bed, much less exercise. Now that I have recovered from that and am able to move on, I can hardly believe the difference the lack of exercise has made. What I look like at 179 now, and 179 when everything was toned and fit, is like comparing apples and oranges. I don't look like the same person and there is absolutely no way I could even begin to get a skirt zipper close to closing, much less get the waistband buttoned (and that is assuming I could even get it over my hips!) It makes me want to cry when I see what I did to myself. I had always exercised (NOT a gym rat...just walking, riding an exercise bike or aerobic exercises) and the 5 years I didn't do it have changed my body to one I don't recognize. But it is certainly a testament to the fact that exercise is an ABSOLUTE must when you want to lose or maintain weight. I have been exercising a minimum of 5x a week since I started Atkins in late July and the inches lost are more important to me than the weight lost. I feel so much better that I have been able to increase the intensity and lenght of my workouts and look forward to the day I can get back into my "old" clothes. They may be out of style but I will be looking at "me" instead of that stranger in the mirror! I am 5' 61/2" and have set my goal at 145 because I am sure I can reach it...but would really like to get back to my pre-illness weight of 135. But if I don't regularly exercise, I can weigh 135 and the clothes still wouldn't fit well enough to look good...which is why I exercised regularly before I ever got sick.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 08:35

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

[QUOTE)My trouble is, I have been so comfortable being fat and wearing tents that I don't know what looking GOOD in clothes feels like! But I am on my way...40 pounds lost and down two dress sizes. I never in my life wore a pair of jeans...isn't that sad![/QUOTE]

All the more reason to appreciate wearing the correct size clothing on the way DOWN to your new size. Remember that you can stop in and shop at a local thrift store. You will often find brand new outfits still with tags on them (probably gals who just like us bought them thinking they would get into them someday...) even a few items at the just right for now size will help you feel better about yourself. I also hit Target and Walmart - and get relatively inexpensive things to update my look. Congrats to you for the 40# loss and the 2 dress sizes - that is wonderful!!! Look around you will find a pair of jeans for enjoyment this fall!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 08:52
Registered Member

Hi...I don't have to shop around in the thrift stores, although that is a good idea, I have clothes, and nice ones at that...but its my feeling, not everyone feels like this...but I am not happy in anything I wear. I can doll up to the hilt and go where I am going and see all these slimmer folk and I feel I could have gone in my pajamas! I know its all in my mind...but its my motivation not to feel like that anymore....I just want to look extra nice and feel healthy...As for the jeans, I don't wear pants anymore...I don't look good in them, I am short and stubby and they make me uncomfortable...maybe down the line a nice pant suit will be a good choice for me, but for now...getting down to 18 and a nice two piece suit with a jacket, skirt with a zipper would be great! I am going to do this for me! ON MY WAY and counting ....40 lbs gone!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 09:15

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by StYL
I am looking forward to joining you in the size 16 day too! I think it is only a week or two away for me. My Mom has reached a size 14 and she looks terrific. Now I just have to convince her to get rid of the size 18 shorts she says are comfortable...that may be but they look terrible on her now. I say show off the success you have accompklished so far!
Good luck to you!

I too, for a while hung on to my cloths that were to large. Then I read tips by DR. A. Tell your Mom that Dr. A suggust that you get rid of all your cloths that are to big. I helps keep you motived and helps keep you from back sliding. It's true when you walk past the mirror and you see the results you do think you look great. I went from and 18/20 to an 8. This woe works.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 09:26

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmums
Hi...I don't have to shop around in the thrift stores, although that is a good idea, I have clothes, and nice ones at that...but its my feeling, not everyone feels like this...but I am not happy in anything I wear. I can doll up to the hilt and go where I am going and see all these slimmer folk and I feel I could have gone in my pajamas! I know its all in my mind...but its my motivation not to feel like that anymore....I just want to look extra nice and feel healthy...As for the jeans, I don't wear pants anymore...I don't look good in them, I am short and stubby and they make me uncomfortable...maybe down the line a nice pant suit will be a good choice for me, but for now...getting down to 18 and a nice two piece suit with a jacket, skirt with a zipper would be great! I am going to do this for me! ON MY WAY and counting ....40 lbs gone!

Kudos to you. It is all in your mind. I have been doing Atkins for almost two years. Even after I lost 65 lbs and was wearing a size 8. Even though people said I looked great. I still saw a fat person the the mirror.
I bought some great stuff at the thrift store. I have many nice things too. But I didn't want to spend alot on something I was going to give away in a month or two. Keep up the great work.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Kudos back at ya! Isn't this board great. I am set for clothes for the next year...I have all kinds of clothes that are stretchable...NO KIDDING...you know the kind, skirts with elastic waistband, a line dresses, big blouses with stretchy shells under them....they fit from size 16-24!!!!!! THAT IS ANOTHER GOAL>>>>get rid of the ONE SIZE FITS ALL!