Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/211/180 Male 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I always tend to go way over the 4oz mark... can't help it...it's just too convient of a lil snack
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:35

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Arrow

No! I have always loved & ate a lot of cheese , so measuring it was not an option for me. So I would have a few pieces during Ind & OWL. I recently have cut back on cheese (& chicken skin) though, bc I should be reducing animal fats to reduce my cholesterol & it's a cancer concern.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153.8/147/135 Female 5' 6" inches
BF:24%
Progress: 36%

Mocagyrl:

SO when you reached goal/got close you started cutting back on cheese? We seem to have similiar stats so I thought maybe I'd ask you. ALso, when you get close to goal do you reduce fats because you are upping your carbs a bit? Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

If I eat cheese I do stay within the 3-4 oz. but I don't eat it regularly because I do think it stalls me. Two years ago I did Atkins for 2 1/2 months and only lost 3 pounds. I was eating unlimited cheese, blocks of swiss and cheddar. Now I know why I didn't lose more. IT WAS THE CHEESE!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:26

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

For 3 months I though I was allowed 400 grams of cheese so I ate Lots & LOts of Cheese especially Brie Cheese! And I lost weight, now that I found out I should limit my cheese to 4 oz I've cut back, let's see what happens!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:55

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I'm from WISCONSIN, for god's sake...everything you eat comes with cheese here! It's considered unpatriotic not to eat at least a pound a day (and that's just for the little kids!) However, I have been very good about restricting myself to no more than 4oz./day and no more than 2oz. at any meal (the 2oz rule is my own, so I don't "forget" and let things get out of control.) I have been using Sargento "Taco Mix" shredded cheese in omelets and on salads lately...I don't know why, but it shows half the carbs of the other shredded cheeses available. Tastes okay, too.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 22:02

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Cheese and I have had an ongoing love affair for years . . . and the smellier and more aged, the better. That said, I have had to "curb my enthusiasm" for my beloved since starting Atkins. Not so much because of a stall but, as with several other Atkiners, I just do not get that sense of satiety from 4 ounces of cheese that, for example, greens and fat provide.

Whammy
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 00:18

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'm curious...if your calories are in the ballpark and your percentages of fats/proteins/carbs are controlled where they are supposed to be, how can it matter whether your protein comes from cheese or meat? or your fat comes from butter or cheese?

I'm not being argumentative, just interested...
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 01:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

OK...2 Qs:
Cheese that says "0" carbs on pkg...Do you still have to count it as a carb?

How about on the Atkins Fat Fast...You can have lots of cr cheese on it...seems a contradiction but I'm sure that there is a reason why there but not on the other actual phases.(BTW anybody had success with those?).

As you may figure...I am a cheese addict too.

I figure the protien in the cheese might be the problem since the body will take excess protiens and turn it to sugar? I'm adding extra oil and butter to everything trying to make sure my fats are enough lately but feel I'm playing a guessing game all the time.

Pat
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:02

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

It's so hard to tell, since I have cream cheese, shredded cheese on salads and in omelets plus I have string cheese once or twic a day, so I would assume I am more closer to the 5-6 oz a day, but really not sure.
I haven't ever had a stall that made any kind of difference. I just think it's how your body handles things, and I often think that if your body is going to stall, it has little to do with what you eat. JMHO.

Heidi
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:30

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

Siara - I'd love to see how you've done so well since June!!! I lost 5 lbs or so right away, and about 2 since then...seems like a month-long stall...the only thing I can see in the journals is not enough calories...I'm trying so hard not to sabotage myself. My DH has lost about 15 pounds eating the same as I do, and that's all he needs to lose.

I wish you had a journal so I could see how you've lost about 16 pounds in that same time! And I think you're right about different bodies...

Last edited by kathie w : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 08:31.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:00

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Hi sl74! I actually decided to cut back on the amount of cheese & animal fats I eat when I had my cholesterol checked 2 wks ago & learned it's a bit too high, plus, the recent report (controversial around here, I know) linking excessive fat to cancer has caused me to re-evaluate my eating... breast cancer runs in my family, so I have valid reasons to watch my fat intake. We've been warned for ages that too much animal fat is not healthy for women. Myself, I would hate to have that info, still eat too much of it anyway, (plus, knowing my Mom & aunts had b cancer) only to end up with b cancer.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:14

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default For Kathie, on protein

Cheese vs meat, oil vs butter.

Don't know how my body knows. In a test tube, it might not make a difference. But my stomach is not a test tube, we have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Cheese just doesn't fill me up the way a piece of pork will. So I will eat the whole package. It's simply easier not to start on the cheese, than it is to eat 4 oz and know that there's more in the fridge that I'm not supposed to have.

One recent book pointed out that the reason some people can easily stay thin is that their bodies simply AREN'T screaming for "the rest of the package" the way mine does. It's not willpower on their part--it's different physiology. Eating has become much easier now that I'm listening. If ANY food leaves me "wanting more," I quit eating it. There's plenty enough on the menu that leaves me feeling satisfied and "enough."