Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrates needed in the diet is ZERO, NONE. Carbohydrates are not a requirement for any body function. In fact, it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long term health. Age related degenerative diseases are caused by high levels of carbohydrates in the diet. One can be on a very low or zero carbohydrate diet indefinitely as has been shown by the study of many primitive societies.

Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

Samuel said, "The metabolization of fat requires some carbohydrate. Without carbohydrate the metabolization process ends midway producing ketones."

The above statement is incorrect. Carbohydrates are not required in the diet to metabolize fats. The following page on this site explains why ketones are formed.

Active Low-Carber Forums - Ketosis Facts and Myths.

In the history of mankind the very low-carbohydrate diet most common. Examples are the hunter of old, American Plains Indians and northern Eskimos before modern white man appeared in their areas. Their all meat diets provided them with excellent health as has been proven my many explorers. On the other hand, high-carbohydrate diets have been shown over and over to be disease causing as can be seen in ancient Egyptians and modern English speaking nations.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 15:02.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:31

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default sure carbs are needed...

Of course, carbohydrates are needed to metabolize fats. Without carbs to raise your insulin levels, dietary fat cannot be stored as body fat. Maybe that's the midway point being referred to.

;-Deb
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Deb,

When fat, triglycerides, are eaten they are digested into short-chain fatty acids to diffuse into the epithelial cells of the intestinal villi and then into the blood capillaries. They are then recombined back into triglycerides and further combined with protein particles to form lipoproteins such as chylomicrons, very low-density lipoproteins (VLDLs), low-density lipoproteins (LDLs) and high-density lipoproteins (HDLs). These lipids are oxidized to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is the main fuel for the cells. None of this process requires insulin, carbohydrates or glucose.

The excess lipids are deposited in the adipose (fat) tissue of the body. This process does not require insulin, carbohdyrates or glucose either.

From a practical standpoint we know that carbohdrates are not needed for the metabolism of dietary fat because one can eat a diet with absolutely zero carbohydrates and function just fine. The Eskimo story and all meat diet experience has proven that.

Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

We also know that eating a high fat diet does not raise insulin but instead lowers the blood insulin level because the insulin would reduce the blood glucose to undesirable levels, since no carbohydrates were eaten.

The body can easily convert protein and fats to glucose to maintain the proper blood glucose level. This does not require insulin either. This was shown in my last blood test when I was on an extremely low carbohydate diet for weeks before a 12 hour fast. My blood glucose reading was perfectly in mid-range of normal. The body does not produce excess glucose when on a very low-carbohyrate diet, and therefore, has no need to produce insulin as is done when excess carbohydrates are eaten.

Bottom line. The scientific requirement and the practical requirement for carbohydrates in the diet is ZERO. Absolutely none are required for any reason. This fact is sheepishly stated in some human physiology books followed by a strong declaration that we should consume 60% of caloric intake as carbohydrates. We know that eating that many carbohydrates will result in obesity and many diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, bowel diseases and auto-immune diseases.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 18:59.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 13:34

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Kent, I was being facetious. I do not believe carbs are at all necessary unless we want to gain a lot of weight -- again being facetious.

;-Deb