Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/161/150 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I'd been going up and down between 180 and 190 pounds for over a year, which is not healthy for a 5'7" male. Even though I'd been eating "healthy" (low-fat, high carb), having light meals, and taking daily walks, my weight just bounced gently up and down. Frustrated and annoyed, I thought about trying a diet.

I don't know *exactly* why I zeroed in on Atkins. But I knew it had worked for other people, and I'd skimmed over "Sugar Blues" and talked to a guy who was very passionate about that book, so I knew about the solid case against refined carbohydrates. I pored over the Atkins website and was very impressed by the depth of information they offered for free. But I wanted this info in a version I could carry around and study without having to be at a computer. So I bought the book.

I was still skeptical, but the success stories in the book (and on this website) were quite compelling, as was the fact that no scientific study had ever convincingly refuted Atkins' theories. Going into biochemistry details was also very helpful. I was able to really picture what I was doing to my body and how the Atkins approach would fix that.

So I've been on induction for two weeks now and have lost ten pounds, exactly what the book told me I would lose for my weight range. Already a quarter of the way to my goal. I am satisfied with much less food, drink lots of water, and am convinced that this works, is healthy, and can be comfortably sustained for a lifetime of eating--unlike any diet/nutritional approach I'd ever dealt with or heard of before.

My parents are slowly gaining interest as well. I've been patiently and quietly pitching the book to them, and they've seen first hand the progress I'm making. And they could definitely use it, as they are locked into a low-fat, high carb lifestyle. Hopefully I can help to add some years onto their lives (as my father has had a beer belly for almost his entire adult life, despite vigorous exercise).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:28

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I had been trying out slimfast for 2 weeks and it was going so slow it would take years to reach my goal and I was starving all the time. Starving for years was not an option. Since hearing about Atkins, I did expect it is the plan for me. USed to eat so many carbs, hundreds each day.

I did not expect myself to be able to stay on it though and my DH said I was crazy. AFter a few days and I was no longer hungry and wanting to eat constantly I was shocked. I knew I could continue on it. This week, since reaching my 50 pound goal, I now expect to be able to go under 200. I am still edgy about actually reaching my goal, as I have never been at an ideal weight in my life. I think if I can get under 200 that will be my realization that reaching the goal is possible.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

I've been on & off this programme for about 5 years. I always lose 7 - 10 lbs on induction, then my loss slows dramatically. The longets I've been consistently 'on program' is 6 weeks, during which time I lost 15lbs.

It's taken a while but I've finally realised that I CANNOT return to my old way of eating. In addition to RAPID weight gain, I become extremely moody, tired all the time, mentally foggy and subject to severe deperession. My skin also breaks out & my nails start breaking.

Dont be fooled by the 50lbs in a month fantasies. For those who experience it good for you, but for most of us, you will lose a lot, then stall, then lose some more... the important thing to remember is to STICK WITH IT.

For many of us, its the only way to live.

..Max..
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 20:47
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I had been hearing about Atkins for years but always thought that it was a "quack" diet.

Then my husband went in for a physical in May and had elevated blood pressure for the first time in his life. His physician told him that he should lose 30 pounds, and recommended Atkins and The Zone as two good eating plans. I must admit that I was shocked. Why would a physician recommend such a crackpot diet? So I bought the Atkins book. My husband and I both read it and decided to give it a try.

That was nearly a month ago. We are now collectively more than 25 pounds lighter. The first four days were rough for me as I went through severe carb withdrawl, but since then it has been a breeze. We both have a sweet tooth, so every once in a great while I whip up a batch of LC peanut butter cups or something like that. I never imagined that there would be this kind of VARIETY available to me!

I don't even remember the last time I stuck to a healthy lifestyle for a month. My husband and I are both thrilled.

Jeannie