Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/215/200 Male 5ft. 10in.
BF:
Progress: 87%

It hasn't worked against this wol for me. However now that I excersize more its making me want to quit. I have cut down alot since i started this diet in January, I plan to set a quit date when i get down about 30 more pounds. But for now Im a smoker and still losing at a good rate . I just try to take extra C because smokers need it from what i hear.
Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:04

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Thax clockwork and everyone else for your opinions. I know its hard and I try one day at a time..just needed some opinions !!!

Thax everyone!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

While I agree that everyone would be better served by quitting smoking, I also think there are far more egregious vices than cigarettes.

From what I've read, nicotine, if anything, speeds up one's metabolic rate. So, smoking if we follow the logic here, should be conducive to weight loss, if anything.

However, as someone has pointed out, the risks associated with cigarettes would most likely far outweigh any calorie equilibrium benefits gained.

Yet again, there are lots of other things around which harm us, not just cigarettes.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/227/150 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am not trying to quit yet....one thing at a time...
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:23

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default INSPIRATION

I was reading an article in the NY Daily News the day before yesterday that featured a woman who weighed 180 pounds and was 5'5" and teaches an exercise class. She was in great shape! It was so inspirational to see that you can be overweight and still healthy if you just exercise regularly..
A number of Drs were quoted and said that being overweight and inactive is a greater health risk than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day!
Thats a lesson to me, first that you can be heavy and still healthy if you just put in the exercise time. Second, that being overweight is a greater health risk than just about anything else.
More power to those of us who are choosing to get healthy
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:30

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Frederick,

I conduct smoking cessation classes. Those are the oldest and most typical arguments of someone who is not ready to face the pain of giving up a deadly addiction.

"There are other harmful things in this world" True, but would one knowingly walk out in front of a moving bus or throw oneself into the shark tank at SeaWorld?

"Smoking increases my metabolism." True, but at what expense? Your heart and lungs, cancer of the stomach, diabetes? Exercise has the same impact on metabolism, but in a much healthier way.

"It's my only vice" Well, pick one that won't kill you, like shopping or gambling.

"Nows not a good time for me to quit." There is never a good time to quit. A smoker will always be able to rationalize his/her habit and find a reason not to quit. And they won't until they experience enough pain (via monetary, health, appearance, being a bad example to their children) and wants to change.

Tobacco use has no defense. The diseases it causes are killing 400,000 people in the U.S. alone EVERY YEAR!!!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:35

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Smile cigs/LC

The reason I started this WOE is because I quit smoking for 8 months and gained 30 pounds! I started smoking again (the weight was not why I started again) and couldn't take the 30 pounds off to save my soul. I had never had a weight problem in my life. I've been LC'ing since May 19 and have lost 11 pounds and almost 2 pant sizes. So, in answer to your question, smoking has not interfered with my WOE. Bad for you? Of course! Keeps you from losing? No.

Good luck with both,
Morgan
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:48

BF:

Hmmmm. I think we could say the same thing about extremely overweight people. I guess it just depends on what your vices are and where your priorities lie. Pick one. Now I can't imagine being over 200 pounds when I know I can be thin and healthy by eating properly; but that's my priority, to NOT be overweight. However, someone else may find it easier to quit smoking or never smoke at all than to stop making bad food choices and overeating. We all have vices--we all have weaknesses--we all have priorities. Neither is better nor worse than the other. JMO
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by niki7
I too have not had any problems. When I quit, I did not notice foods tasting better. I hear that all the time, but never happened for me. Yeah, we should probably quit soon, but I can only do so much! LOL

I agree, niki! When I quit for 8 months I didn't notice food tasting better and I've always heard that. Actually, it didn't seem to be as enjoyable to me. Everyone's different, I guess.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 15:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My problem was some foods just needed a cig, mostly from habit. The worst was chocolate, or anything alcoholic.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 15:21

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBelle
My problem was some foods just needed a cig, mostly from habit. The worst was chocolate, or anything alcoholic.

That is where I encounter my problems..right after eating I need to smoke and if I happen to drink I need a smoke
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 15:51

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default interesting post

I too have been a smoker ... for over 20 yrs... and don't know if it effects the WOE... but do know... the time has come to quit...

Do I really want to... YES... and NO...

The adict part of me... says NO...please NO... but I am working to quiet that demon....

I have devolped quiet a nasty smokers hack... and that has got me really thinking... what the HELL am I doing to myself..???

Here I am trying to eat and live healthy... yet all the while... puff'n on my cig... and drink'n my coffee....

Well I have since cut back... way back on the caffeine... (plan to cut it out entirely) and I am now working my way off the cig's...

I took 2 cig's... out of my normal pack (25) a day.... and that is what ... I only alow my self... this week

Next week... I will take that down... 1 or 2 more... and again the following week take 1 or 2 out again..and so on... till my body adjusts to the lower levels of nicotine.. will ween my self off... till I'm SMOKE FREE!!!!

I know lots of ppl don't agree with the weening process... but for me... and all the things I'm trying to change and deal with... this is the way... I believe... KNOW... I WILL BE SUCCESSFULL

I have alot of "pans in the fire" just now... but if I cook on low... I'm surely not going to go up in flames.... LOL

I wish you all luck... and if any one wants to join me in quiting... jump on board.... the more the merrier..

Shell

Last edited by Lioness : Wed, Jun-11-03 at 15:53.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/130/120
BF:
Progress: 50%

LC Barbara , not sure if your post was for me or what, but go back and read my post......I am an ex-smoker and I am well aware of the bad stuff one can get from smoking....I just don't dog someone to death that has not quit yet. nothing worse than an exsmoker ragging on a smoker. LOL
anyways, at the end of my original post, i asked if anyone was using smart balance in place of butter?
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:40
Registered Member

Stats: 150/139/125
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yeah, I think all of us know how bad smoking is. It's a lot easier to say don't replace smoking with food than it is to actually do it .

This WOE has nothing to do with smoking for me. I just want to drop a few pounds. I also want to try to quit again, but I can only do so much.

I feel like once I'm at my goal weight, I will feel good about myself, and when I quit and gain some weight, it won't be as bad as if I were to quit now, and feel twice as fat!

Anyhoo, www.quitnet.com is a great site if you're interested in quitting smoking. They are really awesome.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:41

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default a few responses...

Barbara,

“Those are the oldest and most typical arguments of someone who is not ready to face the pain of giving up a deadly addiction.”

-- Whether they are or are not, shouldn’t make the veracities of their validations any less or more significant, non? By the way, I had started smoking during college, but quit several years ago. So, I base my rationalizations on this subject on past experience, and not tainted with some defensive mechanism to further justify not giving up a beloved habit.

“True, but would one knowingly walk out in front of a moving bus or throw oneself into the shark tank at SeaWorld?”

-- This analogy is imperfect and serves little other than to empathically make a point colorfully. For instance, there are many occasions on everyday life which smoking increases one’s utility of satisfaction. To name a few, say, waiting for a friend whose late at a street corner; or, the pure pleasure of the after dinner cigarette. The same reason why some eat ice cream during the former, and order desserts during the later, is the reason why some smoke—to enhance satisfaction. Sure, there are risks and a price to be paid for the pleasure, just as there are in eating ice cream, drinking wine, or sky diving. However, running in front of a speeding bus or diving into a pool of famished sharks has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, unless we assume one has an extreme masochistic fetish for being human pancake or dreams of being dinner.

“True, but at what expense? Your heart and lungs, cancer of the stomach, diabetes? Exercise has the same impact on metabolism, but in a much healthier way.”

-- I agree with you strongly here, and one of the most pressing motivations for me to give up smoking was that my running were beginning to suffer from the adverse effects caused by smoking. Once again, exercise is not without risks either, even if much less and easily more bearable than smoking. Running can lead to joint issues in the long term, weight lifting increases blood pressure in some, and for some people, and exercise simply isn’t a feasible or practical option during a certain stage in their respective lives. For the latter, would you say smoking to increase metabolic rate to be the worst thing in the world? I say, what if their motivation was to lose weight as quickly as they can, in order to make it feasible to begin exercising?

“Well, pick one that won't kill you, like shopping or gambling.”

-- Not to be smug here, but clearly smoking is the lesser evil of many of the “other” vices, which tempts all of us in our modern society. Is it any less of a catastrophe for the gambling addict who loses everything for the sake of fueling his addiction? I’d argue to many families of those who became destitute from gambling, they’d suggest smoking to the lesser malice.

“Tobacco use has no defense.”

I agree with you here, other than pure pleasure, it has no other justification of merit. Even with chocolate or wine, some suggest there are nutrients in them, which actually benefits us; however, refined white sugar has no redeeming qualities either. So, cigarettes and sugar are peers in terms of being purely for pleasure without other redeeming benefits. Now, I’m not sure which of the two is more harmful, but I sure don’t see any 12 step programs to stop eating sugar.

With kindest regards,

Frederick