Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks Diana,

I will go buy the book. I'll try to find it on Amazon.

I am curious which anti depressant your friend was on. What does she do for the other problem of menopause like bones, hot flashes, vaginal and skin problems and etc.???? I started a new job on Monday and I'm in "intense" training till July 12th so I'm not going to play with my HRT till after then, but after that I'm open to new things.
Let me know.
Thanks for the info.

Pam
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 13:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%
Default a little strange...

Hi ladies - here's one for ya. I turned 50 last fall, had been on BC for years so always was regular. My OBGYN figured it was time for me to go off, and I agreed. Never got another period, had a lot of hot flashes. Started drinking soy milk on a regular basis about 6 weeks ago and guess what? Just like the good old days. Lasted about 5 days. Is there a connection with the soy? Or just a coincidence? BTW - haven't had the hot flashes in a couple of months, but they were pretty annoying in the winter and early spring.
Diane
  #243   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 15:31

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Hi!

She takes lots of calcium she says...She is of Eskimo descent, and has dark skin...looks pretty good so far. Im gonna ask her the name of the drug when she visits me in a couple of days (If I remember)
  #244   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 15:33

BF:
Default Hot flashes

Hot flashes...Vitamin E. But that book by Paavo Airola has tons more ideas....Special herb teas are good too for that.
  #245   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 15:35

BF:
Default welll

Doesnt Soy have an Estrogen connection?????
  #246   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

~Lady Di~,

I think so but I'm not sure. This natural stuff is kinda new to me. Thanks for your help. And no worry about asking your freind just let me know when you do.

~~Pam~~
I like your little squiggiles!!
  #247   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:08

BF:
Default hi

The squigglies...oh thats my royal signature.....LOL

Ya that Paavo Airola book...real interesting!!!! He has chapters for different phases of a womans life.... I like the natural approach to peri/menopause if one can do it ok....
  #248   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:06
Registered Member

Stats: 192/182/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Oh no! this thread stopped?? Maybe I can get it going again. I have info on the Progesterone cream. Apparently it is successful if you use the natural progesterone cream, not a labratory one. Also up your soy products and take yam supplements apparently. Me, I have done none of this. I'm 51 and have had nearly everything mentioned here. No TOM now since Mar 2002. I think they say if no TOM for 18 months you can consider yourself done. YAY!!!! September is my "done" time and I am going to throw a party with my girlfriends. Long story short I am very happy to be going through this and maybe that attitude helps with the symptoms not being as bothersome as they might. I didn't get the grumpiness -- I attribute any and all moods I have had to poor body image. Because boy did that change when I lost weight. Then when I started to gain again (long story) and metabolism was not cooperating (one symptom I guess) my body image went down the tube again. Now that I am losing again I am one happy chick.
  #249   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:40

BF:
Default I agree

The natural progesterone cream is good....make sure its the real thing though...Sometimes they will sell you this gel made from wild yam, and its not quite as good. I'm still excersising
  #250   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 05:32
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I've haven't been around much do to our move to Maryland but I'm back now.

After reading some of the posts I really feel sorry for those that are having a terrible time with menopause. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that can get relief from natural alternatives.

Don't despair girls, it won't last forever.

HN
  #251   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:42

Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Ladies,

This thread has gone on forever, congrads to you all. I am new and glad to have heard about low-carb forums. A forum friend from hair loss talk pointed my way here.
How many of you ladies are experiencing hair loss/thinning, pre-L/C? Mine began a few months after FEMHRT, a low dose synthetic HRT. Then, a new bout of shedding 3 months after Atkins.
I am weaning myself off femhrt, and began taking Prometroim 100mg daily (this IS natural). My phantom LIBIDO has returned....so my hair may not be far behind.

Here's some sites for research. They may have already been listed, if so sorry, my eyes are getting tired on the computer. I wanted to share this.

http://wwcomw.johnleemd./ [info on natural progesterone and homrone balance]His web sites also lists sources for natural progesterone. The wild yam stuff is probably a waster of $$, according to him.

http://www.hormonehelpny.com/articles.htm [info on hormone problems]

http://www.salivatest.com/ [where you can get hormone testing, without your uninformed dr.'s premission]

http://www.power-surge.com/intro.htm

http://www.askwaltstollmd.com/index.html

There really are medical people out there who are interested in women's health. More often than not, your doctor is doing an assembly line thing, with stuff taught in medical school, with medical journals that are MOSTLY drug company ads. Synthetic hormones are NOT good for your body. Some of you could be in an estrogen-dominant state, see Dr. Lee's site.
When I started femhrt (an HRT), it started my hair thininng. and many other unnecessary symptoms, like NO sex drive, poor sleep, weight gain mostly at my waist.
My derm put me on Prometrium 100mg a day, to help my hair loss. After one week, my sex drive is returning. I am sleeping somewhat better.
I hope you get something from some of these sites. Good luck to all.
We have to educate ourselves, our doctors probably can't or won't.

Thanks, dee for http://www.minniepauz.com/ . I just signed up for your newsletter, and will pass it one to my friends who may need it.

Last edited by mariejoe : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 08:53.
  #252   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana
Hello Ladies
I stated before on one of my earlier replies, that I have been soooo uncomfortable with agitation and hot flashes sleepless nights and anxiety attacks flaring up again, that I was seriously thinking of going back on HRT. Well a trip to my doctor has confirmed that I would be a good candidate to go back on them. I was on a natural concotion that worked great..... Sooooo he gave me a new perscription and I have been taking them now for about 8 or 9 days and I think the flashes are beginning to lessen, the anxiety is lightening up, I know that much! You know, I guess I am willing to risk a little here, because the whole effect menopause was haveing on me was totally ruining my quality of life.

I'm new and am reading through this thread a adding my 2-cents as I go.

I'm glad to hear you went back on your natural HRT. I'm fairly sure only the synthetic stuff is bad for you---I should know. I began synthetic hrt (femhrt) in fall 2001. In mid-2002, I began lsoing hair. By the end of 2002, my libido had all but vanished. I had allergy attacks all over my skin. By June 2003, I had no libido, "warm flashes", poor sleep, and [since I began Atkins in March, 2003] a new shedding episode on my head.
I am now weaning myself off femht, taking Prometrium, 100mg, daily. On Aug 5, I see a new gyn, and go off FEMHRT. This is a new, low dose hrt, but still messed up my system. I managed to get through life W/O BCP, and now messed up with female chemicals
Time to take my life back, I say!!!

Women have been using natural remedies long before the drug companies screwed up a lot of us. In fact, I read that only westernized nations have a "problem" with menopause. Less "civilized" countries treat is as a nutral part of life, not a disease. [Although, if it weren't a disease here, insurance porbably won't pay...] We're so civilized and over-processed that our bodies don't know how to shift comfortably to menopause.
  #253   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by di52
Hi ladies - here's one for ya. I turned 50 last fall, had been on BC for years so always was regular. My OBGYN figured it was time for me to go off, and I agreed. Never got another period, had a lot of hot flashes. Started drinking soy milk on a regular basis about 6 weeks ago and guess what? Just like the good old days. Lasted about 5 days. Is there a connection with the soy? Or just a coincidence? BTW - haven't had the hot flashes in a couple of months, but they were pretty annoying in the winter and early spring.
Diane

It could be that the soy milk elevated your estrogen level enough for you to have a cycle. I've heard that can also happen to women who go off HRT, and are not in full-blown menopause yet.
Did it happen this month? Maybe you should cut back on the soy milk for awhile?
  #254   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:26

Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:

I think the biggest problem of reaching this age is knowing hat to waer, I dont want to look like a grandmother, but I look reduculas in hipster- flaired trousers.. is there any real cool gear made for the M woman in America?
  #255   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:49
Registered Member

Stats: 192/182/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

The "vogue" look suits our age: rayon loose pants (elastic waist), loose and large rayon over-shirt, both sleeves and legs rolled up some with sandles for footwear. It's a cute look. For the winter? Back to blue jeans perhaps. Or a loose longish dress with leggings under. Best is to see what they wear in France (and Montreal). The French sure know how to dress.