Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

We move it both ways. It has resistance both ways.Just in front of us and out to the sides. I hope this is what you are asking

We keep our arms bent 90 degrees and push in and then push back out. Its tough but I am up to 16 reps already. I was invited to join the Power work out they do on Tuesday and thursday nights. I am thinking of giving it a go. I feel so alive now...and I want to get into those size 24's dang it!

Hope everyones weekend is marvelous!!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:31
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Week Seven Check-in, Week Eight Goals, Challenge Review

I have been working so hard to get back to where I was, fitness-wise ... and I think I'm there. Today I did my 50 minute FAP workout with 3 pound weights on each wrist. I then spent a lot of time stretching out, so I'm feeling really good right now.

My goal last week was to move each and every day ... and I've done so! I've also squeezed in at least one gallon of water daily and I'm eating according to plan. It feels good to be back on track.

My goals for this week are to do FAP every morning, drink 1+ gallon of water daily and keep food ratios good.

To answer some of the 'Official Challenge' and EC Questions ...

Do you feel good about the activity that you fit in?
I feel like the exercises I've chosen are really good for my body ... W(F)AP has a nice quick tempo that keeps me balanced and moving fast enough to get a cardiovascular workout. I'm gentle on my joints and happy that I feel so much stronger. I love doing my exercises first thing in the morning so I have that 'I've done something good for myself' feeling all day long.

Did participating in the Challenge help keep you on track?
Yes. In the past, the biggest obstacle to exercise was lack of accountability. I'd get excited about a certain plan, do it religiously for a few weeks, then slack off. I'd quickly lose all my gains and then get discouraged and quit for good. Participating in a group like this has motivated me on the days I feel like letting things slide ... I imagine that I'd be letting everyone down if I let myself down ... you know what I mean?

Do you feel you've made progress towards your goal?
I do! When I look back to the start of the first Challenge when I had a hard time going for my short daily walk, I feel like I've made huge progress.

Have you identified the possible barriers to exercise in the future?
My biggest barrier is illness ... when I physically can't or shouldn't exercise, it's psychologically hard because I'm so tempted to totally give up. I think the only solution is diligence and eventually a good track record of 'getting back up on the horse' that threw you.

How is your motivation to keep including fitness in your life?
It's high! I want to continuing improving my health and staying active is a big part of that!
  #228   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:45
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile Hi Everyone!

Cara ~ Hope that new job get's easier with time! I'm sending good thoughts for those size 24's and I hope you enjoyed your 'Bring Your Daughter To Work(out)' date at Curves!

Nikki and Cara ~ How goes it on the Judy Blume peck deck machine? I, too, had pretty much forgotten about that great chant. Have you considered a different chant while doing an ab workout?
'We Must, We Must,
We Must Decrease Our Gut'
DusterCat ~ I don't know if I could resist the lure of a hungry cat calling for it's breakfast ... that's just me, though. Some folks have accused me of being a slave to all feline-kind. I never deny it! LOL How is maintaining your water intake going? I know it's hard. Lately I've been carting around a pitcher of room temperature water ... it sounds less appealing, but somehow it's easier to drink something that isn't near frozen from the fridge.
Marty ~ You've been doing great! Smart thinking with the hats ...

Teresa ~ It's so nice to see you again! You'll have to give us highlights of your trip Down Under when you get a moment to relax. Consider yourself 'signed up' for TDC FC #3!

Dean ~ Woo Hoo! Good job on the walking!!

Mary ~ Hope you are feeling much better! How is the meditation going? I used a relaxation tape years ago during a stressful time and it helped a great deal. Regarding your WAP workout ... what music to you listen to? Most of my stuff is a bit slower than the DVD. I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Atkins4MyWOL ~
Quote:
I guess I could just use the relatives as weights and do some lifting of them.
I'm glad you'll be joining us for the next Challenge. Your continued dedication to health (not to mention your weight loss) inspires us all!
  #229   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: SYNDROME X
Stats: 252/162/150 Female 65 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 88%

Monika,
Glad to see you are back to normal and feeling better. I have been tempted to try wrist weights when walking, are the 3lb.difficult? I still worry about my wrist that gave me grief with the hand held weights. Maybe the wrist weights would be easier. This has been a very tough week for me. I am thankful for this WOL as it has kept me on track physically and emotionally. We almost lost mom saturday night and we are still not out of the woods.It was the first time my family was in the same location in 7 years. Many tense moments.
Anyway, I have kept up with my exercise because I do it early in the morning and as you say it keeps me feeling good all day. I carry 3 water bottles with me so I can refill them anywhere. I even started eating the hospital food. Its amazing what they will make for you if you ask.
My goals for this week is to continue my treadmill daily but give up 1lb.hand held and add wrist weights for extra resistance- and aerobics and add five minutes of stationary biking with an increase each day to 15 minutes.
I feel very good about the activities I have chosen-they are just right for me. My treadmill gives me great cardio and my aerobics is fun and a great workout. I have more energy than I imagined and less aches than I used to.
YES this challenge has kept me on track. I'm proud to be part of the group and to be successful with my goals. I never imagined I would be where I am. This is a major motivator for me.
I have made huge progress not only in my weight and my strength but in my self esteem. I find myself able to take on many challenges in life that I would have hesitated doing before and I am much more social.
I think any future barrier would be because of illness or injury or if I would over do with exercise that is not appropriate for me. I learned a valuable lesson with my wrist and now that they feel better I will try again but at a lower level.
Motivation? This is not my diet its my way of life!
Thanks again Monika, you are an amazing person with so much to give and I feel blessed to be a part of this group. I will be here till for every thread you have.
Lynn
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 05:27

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%

I feel really bad to post here since i did not stick to the challenge and the promise i made to myself and the group. I fell out by the third week and i'm not gonna go into the reasons why becuz as far as i am concern they are all just excuses. I just want to apologize for not living up to the challenge and not being there to support every one who did.

I know it's probably the last week on the Challenge and if it's possible i would like to participate. I did do my workout yesterday and intend on doing it today as well.
Hope everyone has a great day!!
  #231   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 09:35

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile

So we're nearing the end, eh? First off I want to thank Monika for all that she's done for us. Secondly, I'd like to sign-up for the next challenge! You guys are great!

This week I'll have the standards (walking, stairs, bowling) along with going to Curves. BTW- I *do* really like the Peck Deck!!

I'm currently giving CAD a trial run to see if that gets things moving again. Since April, I've lost the same 5 lbs. around a zillion times. I've yet to post a change in stats for the positive (and I refuse to change them upwards!!). Anyhoo, the good ol' doc who got me started on Atkins first recommended that I do Atkins 5/2 (5 days on/2 days off) to get things moving. I am leery at having that much freedom on the weekends, so we comprimised and I'm giving CAD a try. If it doesn't work, I'll be back to Atkins. Something has to give!!

As for water and vitamins-- I'm still drinking around 150 oz./day and taking my vit. cocktail. Gotta love the neon pee that Super B-Complex gives ya!

Do you feel good about the activity that you fit in?/Did participating in the Challenge help keep you on track?
Ok! So I waivered a bit during the challenge, but all-in-all, I've felt that it has held me accountable for my actions (or lack thereof). I felt like the kid in school who didn't do their homework when I didn't have any exercise to report. Even when I didn't go to Curves or do WAP/BF, I still kept up the daily movements (walking, stairs, etc.). The good news of it all is that I'm back full force and enjoying every minute of it!

Time issues aside, I feel that the biggest barrier for me is my back. I'm ok when I do my standard daily tasks, WAP & Curves, but I need to take it easy with some of the BF exercises. As long as I continue to safely workout, I know that it will benefit me in the long run. Heck, it sure beats being out of it for months at a time (I lost 3 mos. this year due to a non-exercise related back injury).

I must agree w/Monika on this one. I love the rush that I get from exercising. I not only feel good about what I have accomplished, I actually look forward to doing it again.

Well, that's my novel for today. I hope everyone has a good week and I look forward to seeing you in the next challenge!

Nikki
  #232   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 12:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Monika - as far as the CD I listen to, it's mostly stuff from the 80s that I like and is fast. The songs make me happy and make me want to dance (or walk fast ). I have stuff like the Pointer Sisters, Billy Idol, Madonna, Heart. I download the music on Kazaa and put the CD together. Do you have a CD burner? You could take music you love and do the same thing. My meditation/relaxation is going well. I really like the CDs I am doing. They are called the SMART technique and are suppose to help with eating. I haven't felt too much success that way, but they totally relax me, which helps with the stress.

I hope you are feeling well today
Mary
  #233   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:35
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have been doing lots of work on our house, repairing wood that had been water damaged. I couldn't have done this before, but NOW I CAN!!! Still, I'm AM feeling the muscle soreness! And I started out this week doing good with my walk yesterday. I'm up to a full mile every work day! I could do more, but I just don't have the time for it. Hmm... I guess I can trying walking faster and faster!

I think the house work is good though. I haven't done much the last few years, so our house really needs it and I get to exercise all sorts of muscles that way.

Last edited by AZDean : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 08:37.
  #234   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 18:36

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

I've got new muscles sticking out in my upper arms other then biceps and triceps so I'm sure the exercise challenges are motivating me to keep doing my lifting and treadmill.

I was asking which way you did it but your answer tells me you do it both directions. I love it too. I can really feel the stretch on the lowering when I move the pin to the 5th position and do the forward ones. I do hate banging my knuckles together when they touch. How do y'all handle that?
  #235   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 14:34

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default toward the end of Week Eight?

... Time has been getting away from me lately! I'd just like to congratulate you all, you're doing so great, and this group has been a HUGE help to me. Even when I'm not doing as well as I would like, I know you're here, and that helps me try harder. Thank you, Monika, for leading and helping us all!

The Questions:
Do you feel good about the activity that you fit in?
Moderately good - my FAP routine works and is good for me, and I feel good after doing it. My favorite exercise is walking - I derive a mental lift from walking down in the park that I get from nothing else. So as soon as my new toenail finishes growing in (still get shooting pains in it when I'm on my feet a lot) I'll take that up again - I don't care if it's two degrees out! Well, I say that now, anyway

Did participating in the Challenge help keep you on track?
Oh, yes. I would almost say it helps with Life In General. Exercising is still not "second nature" for me - maybe it never will be - but belonging to this group helps me keep doing it, which in turn makes me feel better and cheers me up.

Do you feel you've made progress towards your goal?
Yes - if I remember the sequence of events, the 1st challenge had barely started when I utterly killed my toe. If it hadn't been for the challenge I probably would have simply given up on exercising.

My attitude, which I am working on, and the cold weather (I have hibernation tendencies). I'm thinking of putting a coffemaker, on a timer, in my bedroom, so I'll have a hot drink when I wake up.

I really feel being active is crucial to my improved health, so I definitely intend to keep it up. BTW count me in for the next "leg" of our tour!

Take care everyone!
  #236   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 15:52
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I just got done with my fourth walk this week. I've been walking a little over a mile each day. I feel that I have definitely passed a threshold where I can now see myself climbing that BIG mountain in the future. It's kind of like my entire weight goal. I've now gone 1/3 of the way, and still have 2/3 to go, but now I know it will be conquered!

The same with that mountain. I can feel my strength gradually returning. The short walks help keep me in shape, but it's the weekend walks that take me a little further each time. And now I know it's ONLY a matter of time until that old mountain falls!

This is no longer imaginary. This is no longer wishful thinking. I can honestly see it happening now. And while I don't care to exercise a lot, I DO want to CLIMB MOUNTAINS!

Thus, it's just a matter of time! Thanks so much for the opportunity to do this challenge! It really did help a lot and even better it has set me on a real path to something I really want.

How much better can it get?!

Cheers everyone!!

Dean in sunny Tucson!
  #237   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 21:12
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi everyone,

I am sorry I have not been around much for the second half of the Second TDC fitness challenge. The death of my step-father last week hit me pretty hard.

I have continued to walk, although not as much or as frequently as I was doing. I am proud that even when feeling the most down, I dragged myself out to do some walking. I guess that means I am really motivated to continue exercising. Today, for the first time in several weeks, I was finally able to once more enjoy being outside and active in the sunshine and I took an extra-long lunch hour and walked four miles. I hope that my enjoyment of exercise continues and that I build back up to the level of exercise I was doing until a few weeks ago. If there is another TDC fitness challenge, I would like to join.
  #238   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 06:23
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Default Hi Everyone!

Well ... I suppose this is it ... We made it!

Two months have flown by and we're still exercising and making progress. As a group, we have gone through some big changes: Family illness and death; work and time stressors; progressively colder weather and Halloween. The fact that we keep on striving forward is no small thing. It speaks to the commitment we have towards making exercise a permanent part of our lives.

I feel like I've gained tremendous inspiration here ... it's been an honor (not to mention fun!) participating in this Challenge with all of you.

I'd like to give a big thank you to Mary (Marebear) who provided us with our lovely Fitness Challenge graphic. Mary also ensured that if I 'fell off the face of the earth' the Challenge would progress as it had been (she served as Co-co-ordinator, keeping a backup of the Week's framework). You gave me peace of mind, Ms. Bear.

For those of you who want to go for the next Challenge, I'll PM you with the new thread address. I'll also post it here.

Finally, this last programming note... I'll have less access to the internet after 12/1, so I'll be more of a participant than a hostess for Challenge #3. Luckily, I'll have a few days to lead the Welcome Wagon as we begin, but then I'll go to a weekly check-in and Challenge posting once a week.

I'm psyched to be starting again ... it feels pretty amazing to have four months under my belt (and there's room there now!).

Lynn ~ I'm so sorry your Mom has been very ill, and hope you're holding up with the pressure of an unwelcomed type of family reunion. May her condition improve soon. Regarding the wrist weights ... I'm not sure I would recommend them to you. When I swing my arms too fast I can really feel the stress on my shoulder and wrist joints. Maybe it would depend on what type of wrist injury you had and how fast you're swinging your arms? I'm sorry I can't be more help! I'm so glad you're joining us for #3!

Greeneyezz ~
I'm so happy you checked back in and glad to hear your back at your workout. Cool that you're coming along for #3, too!

Nikki ~ Sounds like you're doing great! You sure have come far in your recovery from your back injury. I hope that your CAD trial works well. You'll have to report in.

Mary ~ Love your music choices!! Thanks for the ideas. I love being able to burn CD's, don't you? BTW, Heart was a local band when I was growing up, their first concert at the high school gym down the road. My brush with fame!

Dean in Sunny AZ ~ I have no doubt you'll be climbing those big mountains soon! I feel like you are definitely going to make your weight loss goals, too. You speak with a calm confidence, like a man who knows he has the tools to complete a project.

DusterCat, my friend ~ I've been so pleased to have your company here, and look forward to another great eight weeks. PS - I love your idea for a coffeemaker in the bedroom. I used to keep a bread machine in the hall outside my bedroom and wake up to the scent of fresh baked bread. Now I’m thinking that might be a bit too ‘carby’ for an alarm clock these days ...

Atkins4myW ~ Wow. Muscles "other than biceps and triceps" are sticking out of your arm?! I dream for the day when I can see any muscle in my arms! But that’s the best proof that you’re on the right track, isn’t it? Congratulations!

Liz ~ I'm proud of you, too, for getting some activity in even when you were feeling so low. I can't help thinking that it was really healthy for psychological reasons to take care of your body, as well. I'm glad you enjoyed your walk in the sunshine! Sending you hugs and love ...

Lynn, Nikki, DusterCat ~ Thanks so much for your kind words!
  #239   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 06:28
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Talking

Congratulations!

… We have reached the end of the Fitness Challenge ...

For Eight Full Weeks, We've ...
Moved In A Positive Direction
Encouraged Each Other And Received Support
Kept Fitness A Priority

... and most importantly ...

Given Our Best!!

Well Done, Fellow Challengers!