Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 06:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Anthony, I would just doublecheck the warning on the label and verify that and ECA stack is safe to take w/o a gallbladder (a possible side effect that I am aware of is kidney stones but I couldn't find anything on gallstones/gallbladder).

For anyone one else interested you can find a list of possible drug interactions with ephedra here

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:19

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 346/240/225
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Anthony, I would just doublecheck the warning on the label and verify that and ECA stack is safe to take w/o a gallbladder (a possible side effect that I am aware of is kidney stones but I couldn't find anything on gallstones/gallbladder).

Thanks Nat, I'll take a look. I didn't even really consider that since all the Gallbladder really does is store extra bile. But the LAST thing I need is Kidney stones.

By the way, are you psychic? Because I didn't post anything about my recent Gallbladder surgery (insert twilight zone music)

Anyone have any advice on my original frequency question?

Anthony
  #198   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/151/120
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default New to Xenadrine too...

Hi! Just read your post and I am in about the same place. I started xenadrine yesterday, one in the morning on an empty stomach followed by breakfast shortly after and one in the afternoon. It seems like the morning pill wore off (feeling more alert) within four hours but the afternoon pill kept me up all night ! I wonder if i should just start out the first week or so with just one morning pill....anyone have any thoughts?
  #199   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Protein Power
Stats: 231/170/180 Male 6'1.5"
BF:34.2/9.5/13.2
Progress: 120%
Default The Caffeine Conundrum

This thread makes very interesting reading. I guess caffeine is okay so long as you remember to drink lots of water as well.

As an aside, I was on semi-detox for the whole of July. I say 'semi' as around the 21st July I was with my parents and suspect my decaf coffee was mixed up with their normal coffee. Wow, after 3 weeks of no stimulants I was high as a kite for an hour and then was nauseus changing to lethargic for the next 1.5 hours.

Having said all that, I'm about to go out and buy some Xenedrine to aid my August "High Protein, Low Carbs, High Fat Loss Campaign" - guess I'll be on 1 tab a day before my morning jog!!

Last edited by Zzoom : Fri, Aug-02-02 at 08:11.
  #200   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default topical yohimbine

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with yohimbine, applied topically.

I have read about it in Trainer Dan's book, and like the way it sounds - but the only info I can find (so far) on the net is from companies advertising their own brand of cutting gel.

It seems very expensive, is that just the brand name thing? Can I do what I do with an EC stack and just buy the ingredients separately for a fraction of the cost?

Meg
  #201   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

On the bottle of xenadrine it says "The maximum recommended dosage of ephedrine for a healthy adult is no more than 100 mg. in a 24 hour period for not more than 12 weeks."

I take one capsule (10 mg) approx. 4 days a week before my morning workouts for the anti-catobolic effects among it's other benefits.

max dosage per week (100mg x 7 days a week) 700 mg
my dosage per week (10mg x 4 days a week) 40 mg

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I would need to cycle it or not at my dosage? Or is it good the way it's going now?
  #202   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%
Smile XENADRINE

I am still learning about this Xenadrine.

I started taking Xenadrine EFX (Ephedrine Free) about 4 weeks ago. I do feel it is working, I am loosing a lot of inches. I went with the EFX because of all these reports on Ephedrine and how bad it is for your body. They did a report on CNN last week and the government is going after the makers of Metabolife for saying there is no side affects of Ephedrine. There are reported deaths, heart disease etc. So Iam sure there is still some ephedrine in the EFX (they probably have it hidden by calling it green tea or something) but I feel better taking the EFX. Last week I took two tablets in the morning, two in the afternon for 4 days and then then only 2 the next day and then none all weekend. I am trying only to take it 4-5 days a week.

If anyone has any other information left me know.

Pammysue
  #203   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/204/175
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have a few questions....I too am on the Atkins diet, and I usually eat eggs and cheese for breakfast, salad with ranch dressing for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. I try to snack on fruit throughout the day if I get hungry. Is this an acceptable diet? What is the max amount of carbs I should have?

Also, my doctor prescribed phentermine for me a while back, and I have taken it off and on for over a year. I seem to hit a plateau and it doesn't seem to work anymore. I have been trying metabolite, Xenedrine, etc off and on too. My doctor has been monitering my BP and heart, and everything seems ok. Is it wise to switch back and forth, or should I pick one and stay with it?
  #204   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%
Default adkins

Hi Kderry,

Welcome to the world of information. This website is great for any information you might need and also for support.

I have been on Adkins since April 1st. You need to get the book if you dont have it. Its extremely helpful. You start out for 14 days with only 14 gms of carbs. It is a extremel tuff 14 days but it works. Then slowly move up to 20 or 25. Myself I am at 40 gms a day. I have lost 32 pds and about 29 inches. I look at the Adkins program as a way of life not a diet anymore. I choose not to eat breads, pasta, pop, etc. Now once a week I will eat what I want in moderation. They say to do that so you dont crave foods. Like this weekend, I had 2 pieces of pizza.

Myself I have lost all this weight and inches without exercising
at all. Just the running I do with my kids. I started yesterday doing Taebo and walking. I am going to sit back and watch the weight fall off. HA HA

I am also taking Xenadrine EFX (Ephedrine Free). I take the EFX because I see no reason to put ephedrine in my system. I take it 4-5 days a week and lay off 2 days etc.

Well congrats on your decision to do Atkins. It does work and there are lots of people here that can help you and will encourage you in any way possible.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Pammysue
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 12:01

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

Has anyone tried Thermicore by MetRx or any of the other time-release thermogenics? I really like Thermicore during the day, but after the 8 hours and it's gone from my system, I just crash. So I usually don't take it until after lunch, or I'm ready for bed by 5:00PM. I tried Hydroxycut a few years ago and really liked it, but it got so expensive. What is another thermogenic I could try that doesn't leave me dead-tired at the end of the day that's reasonably priced?
  #206   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 08:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default answers ...

Meg S - I am currently using Yohimburn, which is a topical yohimbine product. They combined the aloe, peppermint, and yohimbine in the product, so it saves alot of aggravation. The cost is $70, but there is 3.5g of yohimbine in the bottle. At aprx. 30mg per application, you can see that it is pretty cost effective.

It is available at www.anabolicfitness.com. They also sell a NYC stack, for those who are having trouble finding one.

Kderry - All of the EC products are essentially the same as far as the main active ingredients go, so you can switch from brand to brand. Some are stronger than others, so be sure to check the strength of the active ephedra alkaloids when you buy a new brand.

Misty - I tried Themicore awhile back, and I liked the time release, but it never really seemed to curb my appetite. I switched to Xenadrine RFA and that worked, but I time my last dose at 3 pm. By them time I get the gym at 5pm, it is in my system kicking hard. I still crash pretty hard, but it is usually around 9pm or so when I am getting ready for bed anyway. The theromgenic crash is kind of unavoidable. Just a timing issue I suppose.
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 04:44

Post Another study (newer)

As you can see in this thread, there are good points and bad points on taking ephedra based products. The best advice is to read the label carefully and follow the directions/warinings.

A recent study by Vukovich and colleagues evaluated the effects of a single dose of ephedrine (20mg) and caffeine (150 mg) on heart rate, blood pressure, and resting energy expenditure on a group of healthy men and women.

The test subjects (8 of them, yes it is a small study) reported to the lab, rested for 15 mins, and underwent 30 minutes of baseline testing.

They were then randomly assigned to either take the EC combination supplement or a placebo.

Heart rate, blood pressure, energy expenditure, and blood fatty acid levels were determined intermittently during the 3 hour observation period.

Results showed that taking the ephedrine/caffeine supplement promoted :

- a greater increase in resting heart rate (+ 23 bpm, versus +9 in the placebo group). This was observed 60 minutes after ingestion.

- an increase in systolic blood pressure (+9, versus +2). This was observed 3 hours after ingestion.

- an increase in resting energy expenditure (+ 10.7%, versus +4.7%). This was observed 3 hours after ingestion.

- No signifigant changes were detected in diastolic blood pressure.

These findings add to the growing body of evidence that supplementing with the EC stack can elevate resting metabolic rate, with mild changes in heart rate and systolic blood pressure.

Vukovich M.D., Heilman C., Brink J. "Caffeine and ephedrine: Effect on resting heart rate, blood pressure, and energy expenditure. Med Sci Sport Exerc 34 (5): S73, 2002.
  #208   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 15:46

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Ok, well I'm jumping in with both feet. I read Dan's book last night. Need to go through it again and take some notes. I ordered BetaLean HP and Metabolic Thyrolean this morning from A1supplements $33 + shipping. They have two for one deal right now on Thyrolean. I had to call them to make sure they were shipping the free bottle. Plan of cycling Thyrolean and ECA.

Dan, do you recommend cycling in NYC as well ? If so, how would one cycle between supplements ?
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 05:42

Default it's in there ...

The Beta Lean is an ECA stack

The Thyrolean is a guggul product

The NYC is, well, an NYC stack.

The book covers how to work them all in. In the first chapter.
  #210   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 05:54

Default ECA Frequency

Dosing frequency really depends on the product you have. Some have 1 capsule = full dose. Some are 2 capules, some a 3 capsules.

If you have one that is 3 capsules (Xenadrine RFX), and it is your first adventure with thermogens try starting with 1 capsule in the morning, 20 - 30 mins before you eat breakfast. Or 20 - 30 mins before your morning cardio workout on an empty stomach.

The typical dose lasts 3 - 5 hours. Your results/reactions may differ. If it is before 3 pm and you don't feel "speedy", you may take a second dose.

Keep in mind the 5 hour thing when timing your doses. If yo utake one too close to bed time, you will have the unpleasant fun of staring at the ceiling half of the night.

Over the weeks, slowly increase your dosage. Maybe 2 pills in the AM by week 3, for example.

You get the picture.