Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

Woo Hoo,
A Curves thread!!

I joined 2 1/2 months ago and have lost 3 1/2 inches!! I love that!!

Curves is so much fun, and I HATE to work out.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:26

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Ellen-mom,

Welcome to this thread. Feel free to post anything curves related here. 3 1/2 inches lost....woohooo WTG!!! Congrats!
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:41

BF:

Hi Everyone,

With Joans permission, I am quoting from her journal. (She wasn't sure how to cut & paste here) Joan was invited to be a guest speaker at a Curves weight loss class. This is your post about how that went

Quote:
I gotta tell everyone that last evening went great. In fact I even was able to convert some that were doing low fat and weight watchers to low carbing. Also out of 12 women there were at least 4 that wanted to know if they could come and live with me and Bob for awhile.
Now I did not prepare anything to talk about, cause as Bob says I am never at a loss for words. After I introduced myself and told the group that I had previously done Jenny Craig and was hungry on that program all the time. Then last year I decided to try low carbing. Now the first thing that was coming out of the ''soothsayer'' low fat, WW, ladies was ''all that fat, all that meat'', blah, blah. So my next reply was to ask each lady that was doing low fat and WW, how much weight they had lost since Jan. well it seems the weight loss was not impressive at all. So after I told them how well I have done this year due to getting serious about low carbing, mouths were dropping open, I even had to get on the scale for them to prove it. Which was great cause that is when I found out that I had lost another 2.5 pounds and that has brought me to 269, OH YEAHHHHHH..
Okay out came the food. Have you ever witnessed people that do not want to admit when they are soooo totally set in their beliefs that it is like pulling teeth to get them to say, ''OKAY, I'M SOLD''. Sooo, now today guess what I'm going to do. I'm going to do a low carb cook class here at our house. The women that decided they wanted to do low carb, was so afraid of the cooking part. So I told them if they wanted to come to my house today, we would make crackers, chocolate cheesecake and pork rine chicken in the over and the one thing none of them can believe is the mock mashed potatoes. So that will be the surprise for them the mock mashed potatoes. So these 4 ladies are suppose to be here around 10 this morning and we are going to have a ''LOW CARB COOK OFF'', I'll do just about anything to get these people to see the light.
I also told those that wanted to begin low carbing that as a rule the weight comes off pretty fast, but it will also slow down and for me the thing I have to do to not get discouraged is the ''pant-o-meter'', cause I feel I lose inches much faster than pounds.
Get this they have asked me to be an ''honorary member'' of their MOnday night weight-loss group, LOL LOL.

After, my little ''pep-talk'' was over, I did have to run cause we were also celebrating Kevin's b'day (Bob's oldest son) and when I left the house, I told them to go ahead and eat, but DO NOT OPEN any gifts till I return and I had already told the owners of Curves that I would only give them 30 mins. cause I wanted to get back to the birthday celebration. Okay Brenda and Sara called after their meeting (Brenday and Sara own Curves) was over and the food was eaten and told me that these women were so impressed with me and the knowledge that I had about low carbing and how committed I was to this WOE/WOL, in fact I think they liked the ideal of it being referred to as a WAY OF LIFE. Now I did have one woman that there was no way she was going to be convenced that lowcarbing was healthy, in fact I was told she would not even sample the food, her loss, LOL LOL.
Anyway this woman said to me, ''everyone I've know that has done Atkins when they went off it gained all the weight back'', well my reply to her was this....I can believe that, cause when I did Jenny Craig and lost 80 pounds and went off it and went back to my old way of eating I gained all the weight back., same thing happened the 20 times I've done Weight Watchers, so now what is your point?? The way I see it if you go back to your old way of eating yes, you will put the weight back on, however, I feel so good not eating carbs and sugar , better than I have ever felt while losing weight, so I don't think gaining it back this time is going to happen at least not to me...... It was funny cause this lady was not going to be sold and I was a ''smart A**" and ask her how many times she had done Weight Watchers, she wouldn't answer me, LOL LOL.

Okay I think that was about it. I need to get myself orgaized for this morning, so I'm going to change my stats and move on. Talk later and thanks to everyone that has stopped by. Love ya all, joan

Then Joan posted the results of her cooking class today. Here is that post....

Quote:
Okay the cooking class went great, but here is the ''YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS'' part. Remember the woman who would not try my low carb food. Well, she called about 9:30 this morning and wanted to know if she could come to today's cooking class. Of course I told her yes, but then I added, you have to remember YOU are in my home and no matter if you do not agree with the low carb eating, since these other ladies will be here, I want you to keep your negative opinions to yourself. I thought this was a fair enough deal.
Not only did we cook, but I also showed them my Atkins books and my recipe book (that Sally knows about) that has 500 low carb recipes. We did the crackers and I had to laugh cause I have trouble with the rolling pin, but one lady was having a real problem with it. Anyway it was a ton of fun and made crackers, chocolate cheesecake and I did my bbq pork rine chickenm but this time I took Tracy's ideal about the mayo and gotta tell ya, it was wonderful. So we all had lunch together and I do believe the first three ladies are really going to be a success, and I hope you are setting down, cause Ms. Negitive ask me if she had any questions could she call me. Now how bout that for winning over.

I think Joan deserves a huge round a applause

Last edited by Meadow : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 14:44.
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:59

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Smile

Meadow, you made me , LOL LOL. I'm so glad you wanted to post my adventure in the Curves forum. I think this is such a great group.

Also Meadow, thanks for understanding my computer challenges, LOL LOL. Love ya, joan
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:56
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Melis

My arms will shrink EITHER because I stop eating/starve or lose weight/on Atkins and my arms will get smaller OR if i exercise (like with Curves-weight resistances) they will tone up and shrink too?!?!? RIght???!

Muscles weighs more than fat...

I guess this stems from going to the store today and having a shirt fit everywhere except my arms.... I am one of those that the pounds went to my arms.

So if I go to Curves... my arms will decrease in size... allowing me to wear those shirts???!? RIGHT??

Ready for the fun news? *g*

In my first 1.5 months of curves, I lost 1.5 inches around each arm.

And I KNOW it's not a quirk of measuring, because my shirts fit better! I've always hated my arms, I carry SO MUCH excess flab there... but they're looking much better! It's from all the upper arm exercises, I think. *g*

I know this wasn't
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:06
3 Days at a Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by j. mcadams
Meadow, you made me , LOL LOL. I'm so glad you wanted to post my adventure in the Curves forum. I think this is such a great group.

Also Meadow, thanks for understanding my computer challenges, LOL LOL. Love ya, joan

Wooo! I'm very proud of you... *g* I love to share experiences with low carb whenever I'm there. The ones who've recently started the Curves diet always need some encouragment, so I tell them how much better I feel and how quickly the cravings can go away if you're good.

And I'm very impressed you did so well with the Negative one!
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

Our curves is going to do a six week diet class starting this month. I think I may join, just for the companionship.

That is the one thing I really miss about this WOE. When I did weight watchers (for a year and a half, only lost 15 pounds ) there were all these other people going through exactly the same thing as me, and we talked and "did lunch", etc. now I am on my own and I miss having lunch with people who are in the same boat as me, etc.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:10

BF:

That's an excellent idea, Ellen. While this forum helps, it's really nice to be face to face with people who you can share experiences with. I've found the ladies at my curves to be really nice and very supportive. If you do join the class, keep us posted as to how it goes!
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:06

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I totally agree too.....

Hi Ellen, I also thank that would be a great ideal, and as Meadow said keep us posted on how it goes. joan
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:25

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Breee......

WOw!!!!

So they will get smaller!!!! hoorraaayyyy!!!

Sometimes it is strange to think about where the weight lands/adds and you are living proof IT CAN GO away!!!

thanks!
M-
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:21
3 Days at a Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Melis
Breee......

WOw!!!!

So they will get smaller!!!! hoorraaayyyy!!!

Sometimes it is strange to think about where the weight lands/adds and you are living proof IT CAN GO away!!!

thanks!
M-

*nodnod* It's soooo great!

Though sometimes it seems like I'm loosing weight in the weirdest places. My arms are smaller, and my jeans are certainly looser in the thighs... my waist and hips though are staying pretty steady.

I'm going in to measure again soon... not expecting fabulous results as I was laid up in bed for another week and a half. But at least now we know what it is... the horrible climate down here has activated my asthma, so now that I have medication I should be able to stay healthy until I get away!

*crossing fingers*

We'll see!
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 167/163/145
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Curves---yes

I have been going for over a year. Started 5x a week---now about 3x a week.
I may be one of their failures in the loss department. May have lost an inch or two and no weight. I envy those whose lose so many inches.
HOWEVER, I love going and feel better. Originally when I started my shoulder was bothering me for over a year. Now, it is soooo much better. So really believe my other body parts are benefitting too.
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:54

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just another thing in FASHION....nothing much knew here for poeple who did streching stuff for long time before...just a very very good advertising here...
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 23:30

BF:

Dotdr, You say how much better your shoulder is doing, so you are not one their failures at all. You say you feel better, and that's what counts.
I was having a lot of arthritis pain before I started. Now I'm off my pain medication...and that's only after a month 1/2.

Picaboo, You are so very right. Exercise is very much in fashion. Your also right about the "good advertising". When I find something that works... I advertise it, much in the same way that many people here are advertising how much they love the atkins diet or body for life or many of the other programs that are discused here. Just as the atkins plan isn't for everyone, the same is true of the Curves workout. Strange though, I haven't really found anyone who has actually given curves a chance that feels that there is "nothing much knew here". Thanks for stopping by.
  #150   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 00:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Talking Thanks everyone!

I went by to check out a Curves yesterday. Then, I came home and read this entire thread in one sitting. Today I joined! It was exactly what I expected it to be according to your posts. I've been walking on the treadmill and using hand/ankle weights for a short while. I think Curves will be the bonus I'm looking for. I'm sure that I will also enjoy being around some mature women. I'll be 40 this year, but I have a 3yo and 4yo. I usually find myself in the company of younger moms b/c of the age of my children. I'm also just looking forward to having an excuse to get out of the house to do something for myself!

Have a great day ladies!

Shari