Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 09:47

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Keto Crumbs? Keto anything?

I lost a lot of weight with Atkins in 2004 and, as my siggie indicates, gained a lot of it back. Now both my husband and I are living SB (going well so far). I had some Keto Crumbs left over from Atkins, and although I didn't like them two years ago, I have been using them this time to "bread" flattened chicken, pork chops, etc. It's great stuff, especially seasoned.

But now it seems that there's no "Keto" anything. I can't find them at Netrition or anywhere else. What's the deal?

And if they're gone, is there a similar item?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

Keto went out of business awhile ago.

For the breadcrumb question...........have you tried very finely ground pork rinds? They work well for me as far as "breading" goes. They just have to be ground very fine, like dust. I do mine either in the food processor or the blender.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 11:02

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerchic
Keto went out of business awhile ago.

For the breadcrumb question...........have you tried very finely ground pork rinds? They work well for me as far as "breading" goes. They just have to be ground very fine, like dust. I do mine either in the food processor or the blender.
I have; I don't mind it, but Shawn doesn't like the taste. Well, probably he wouldn't care on pork, but he doesn't like it on chicken. I wonder if soy flour would work.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 11:27

That is a good idea........I've never even thought of using Soy Flour. I think I may try that next time I bread chicky strips !

Thanks for the idea !!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 11:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I use parmesan cheese to make chicken tenders and they usually come out really well. Also, some use carbquik and that comes out okay too. Its kinda like low carb bisquik.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 13:39

My Journey: Those look good! Do you do an egg wash first and then the Parm? Do you bake or fry them?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 13:53
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I usually do an eggwash. Usually I season the chicken, dredge very lightly in parm cheese (optional) dip in the egg and then coat with the parm cheese. Then I pan fry in olive oil. If I am lazy I skip the initial light dredging and sometimes I skip the eggwash and they are still good. I dont season the parmesan cheese because the spices can burn or turn black and dont look as good but depending on the spices you use seasoning the cheese can work out just fine and save a step. Or just doing it unseasoned and they taste fine too. Sometimes I make them unseasoned and prepare a variety of sauces to dip them in. I like to make BBQ, faux honey mustard and sometimes I mix LC ketchup and mayo. I have also used some of the bella vita sauces and make chicken parm.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 14:09

Stats: 217.5/186.5/135 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Sesame seeds work really well as a "breading" for fried foods, too. I buy them in bulk at a local health food store or at Penzey's, which sells herbs and spices via mail order or their own retail stores in selected cities. Alternatively, you can buy toasted sesame seeds in the spice section of your local supermarket or Asian market and shake 'em on afterwards. I do this with fried chicken. If you leave the chicken skin on, you'd be surprised how well it fries up without any coating at all...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 15:24

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

4C CARB CAREFUL SEASONED CRUMBS

(Scroll down to middle of page)
http://www.4c.com/Kitchen/listproducts.php

Nikki
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 23:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Keto went out of business (bankruptcy protection, I think) in June of 2004. Overextended right before the big backlash when the big food producers stepped in and stepped on the LC marketplace before backing away when their mostly crappy products didn't sell, prompting them to say "low carb is dead" when really it was their products. Sigh.

Ground almonds work well as a coating, too.

And then there's this new-ish one:
LONG'S FRY-IT-RIGHT COATING MIX
http://carbsmart.stores.yahoo.net/fryitright.html

#11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 07:42

BF:

I DO NOT fry anything ever but I do like to bake.

I've tried the crushed nut coatings and they always seem to burn before the food is cooked. Is there a trick to baking in the oven with nut coatings?

BTW: I tried the LONG'S FRY-IT-RIGHT COATING MIX and Yuck!!!!

Nikki
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 10:49
Registered Member

Glad to hear a review on the fry-it-right, even if it's a bad one...

Re the burning, I mix the nuts with parmesan cheese and some LC Bread crumbs I've made myself (when I have some LC bread around). That helps.

Longer cooking at a lower temperature helps, too. Also, try not to cook something that takes ages, like bone-in chicken. Boneless thighs and breast pieces, fish fillets, boneless pork chops, that works great.

Making sure you pull 'em out as soon as they're done.

That kind of thing.

#13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 11:40

BF:

Thanks IslandGirl... I try a lower temperature and see if that works.

It usually burn's without cooking fully when I bake boneless chicken breast.

I love nut coatings on fish and I usually add the coating at the last minute under the broiler. I like my coatings very crunchy and keep a close eye as I broil so NOT to burn. But with Chicken - it's not so easy to tell. One time my home smoke alarm went off because of the nut coating burning and I pulled the chicken out, cut into it and it was still a little pink inside.

I buy raw, unsalted cashews, walnuts, pecans, and sesame seeds from a farmers market. I put them in my grinder and coat my fish with it. Works great on fish but now I have to master it at other things! Lately, I would love some ovenbaked, crispy 'NUT' coated chicken. Hmmm, I think I try the lower temp. this weekend. Thanks, again!

Nikki
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 12:15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Thanks IslandGirl... I try a lower temperature and see if that works.

It usually burn's without cooking fully when I bake boneless chicken breast.

I love nut coatings on fish and I usually add the coating at the last minute under the broiler. I like my coatings very crunchy and keep a close eye as I broil so NOT to burn. But with Chicken - it's not so easy to tell. One time my home smoke alarm went off because of the nut coating burning and I pulled the chicken out, cut into it and it was still a little pink inside.

I buy raw, unsalted cashews, walnuts, pecans, and sesame seeds from a farmers market. I put them in my grinder and coat my fish with it. Works great on fish but now I have to master it at other things! Lately, I would love some ovenbaked, crispy 'NUT' coated chicken. Hmmm, I think I try the lower temp. this weekend. Thanks, again!

Nikki

All those delicious and healthful essential oils, don'tcha know? You want to cook them at a lower temp for sure.

Meanwhile, consider "downsizing" the chicken breasts into large chicken fingers, they're more the size of fish fillets and will cook at reasonably close to the same timing...since raw chicken breasts often come in a wild variety of sizes, I often "portion cut" them to match the smallest ones so they will cook more evenly. Either way will reduce your cooking (and burning) time. Also, make sure they're on a middle shelf, the top element (electric stove?) going on and off can broil/burn, and so can the bottom (gas stove, like mine). The middle is the safest place for even heating.

Have fun!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 09:14

BF:

OK, I made the nut crested chicken over the weekend and cut them in finger size pieces, cooked on lower temputure.

WONDERFULLLLLLLL. Thanks for all your help!

Nikki