Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Being lazy

I've been keeping a journal at home with every thing I eat and the little changes as well as my weights and measurements. Though this past week for what ever reason I've been slacking off, mostly because I've been keeping a mental calculation of what I've been eating. It goes to show you that it really has turned into a way of life. I have even contemplated switching to Weight Watchers but find by mid day I'm still counting carbs. Has anyone else found themselves doing this or am I setting myself up for a surprise at the end of my week. Or is keeping a journal always a way of keeping you aware of what you are doing.

Loribell
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 19:35

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Lorabell, gee funny you should post that, I just caught myself doing the same thing the last 2 weeks, it started with being to busy for fitday, next think I know, I don't have a paper journal anymore either
However, I'm still losing steadily, and if anything I'm under cal/carbs, but have introduced, 1/2 apple, some carrotes, which makes up for it I guess

So I think I'd better work a deal with myself and start writing it down again.

Why on earth would you want to do W.W., your stats look great

Good luck, Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Fri, May-02-03 at 19:36.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 19:38

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey how about starting a journal here? at least that I keep up with a rough count.
Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 05:29
Registered Member

Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%

Good to know that I'm not the only one. I think the WW thing has to do with needing a change. And new clothes cost to much. As for the forum journal I'm a little computer challenged. I don't venture far from what I'm doing right now. Its one of the reasons I didn't stick with fitday, to time consuming and didn't take the time to understand. I'm not very patient(my greatest fault).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 06:02
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172.6/169.6/140 Female 63 inches
BF:41.5%/41.5%/25%
Progress: 9%
Default Took a break from keeping a journal

Loribell,

When I first started using Fitday, I found it pretty confusing but it's one of those things that the more you use it, the easier it is. I created a lot of custom foods so I can simply choose "Atkins muffin, blueberry" off the list. I've also purchased salads from the deli around the corner from work then taken them home and deconstructed them to get the counts. I created several custom foods from the deli using this method. Now, when my coworkers want to go out to lunch, I simply order one of the several meals that I know and select "Spring St. Deli, small chef salad" from my custom list.

I, too, took a break from recording everything it for a couple of weeks. But I found my weight was creeping up a bit and without the stats in Fitday to tell me what the problem was (too many calories? or too many carbs? or not enough fat percentage?) I wasn't able to determine what adjustments to make. So I went back to recording, and it made it easier.

I log on to Fitday several times during the day and I record things as I eat them. Which only takes a few minutes. Then by the end of the day, I've got it all there.

A new thing I'm doing this week, is use Fitday as my menu planner. I enter foods ahead of time (like three or four days in the future) that I'm planning to have for dinner. That way if I want a huge 900-calorie piece of prime rib for dinner, I plan the rest of my daily calories knowing that it's coming.

About new clothes costing too much, I can definitely feel your pain! I bought new size 12s two months ago that looked so fabulous and are now way to baggy. It's hard to know exactly how many clothes to buy in a given size until I reach goal weight because low-carbing seems to take the inches off so that I'm at smaller sizes even though I weigh more than I did the first time I wore that size. Does that make sense?

I've found a consignment shop that has a good selection so I'm not buying retail so much. Ah, the beautiful suits that I can no longer wear! So, I'm selling my beautiful suits at the consignment shop to defray the cost of purchasing smaller sizes.

Journaling is just one tool. If it doesn't seem to work for you, there are others. But I agree with Kathy, your stats do look great.

Nelle