Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:07
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%
Default Diarrhoea...Help

I use Isopure low carb shake. The last time I got the natural (no sucralose). This time I bought the chocolate (28mg sucralose) flavour (never had the chocolate flavour before). Yesterday I had it first thing in the morning and my stomach was hurting a little and I went to the washroom a couple times. I had it again this morning with two strawberries (2oz) and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (I normally have the natural flavour with strawberries and the coconut). About an hour later my stomach started hurting really bad (cramps and gas) and I don't want to sound gross but I can't stop going to the washroom now its diarrhoea).

The ingredients in the chocolate flavour are: whey protein isolate, glucomannan, sucralose (28 mg), alpha lipoic acid, d-pinotol, bromelain, natural & artificial flavours.

The ingredients in the natural flavour are: whey protein isolate, glucomannan, alpha lipoic acid, d-pinotol, bromelain.

The ingredients are basically the same. Could it be the sucralose or the flavours?

The last time I ate before that was around 9pm last night.

Please help me figure this out.

Peace
red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:21

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Maybe you're just getting the flu?

Hope you feel better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:27
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Angela ! The flu again? If that's so this will be my third flu/cold since being on Atkins. Thanks for responding.

Peace
red
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:31

Ooooh, that's right, you were just sick. Hmm... did you eat more fat than usual? That can cause diarrhea. Anything unusual? Maybe your system is just angry!

Drink lots of water and get replenished. Again, hope you feel better. Maybe it will quickly pass.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:37
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Angela! You always give great advice. I had 73% fat yesterday (olive oil, coconut oil and mayo), but that was not significantly different from the day before. I think I will not use the chocolate shake for awhile and get the natural. Then try introducing it again to see.
Quote:
Maybe your system is just angry!
lol..I hope not.

Peace
red
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:57

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Are you sure it was sucralose and not sorbitol or something? It sounds like the reaction I get to sugar alcohols. I'd give up the shakes if I were you. Eggs wil help you to get back to normal.

Robert
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 10:26
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I agree with Robert, sound just like the reaction I get from sugar alcohols.

Also the first thing I thought of when reading the ingredients was sucralose -> isn't that a sugar. I thought that anything that ended in ose was a sugar according to Atkins. So the drink couldn't have been low carb. Another reason to agree with Robert.

Easy enought to check out the problem though, stop drink the shake. See if that clears everything up. And if you really want to test it, in a week or more after you are back to normal, try the drink again.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Mary, sucralose is the exception to that rule -- it's the sweetener in Splenda. It is made from sugar and is chemically considered a sugar, but the body doesn't metabolize it at all. There are no carbs in liquid sucralose, which is what commercial products such as shakes are sweetened with. That's why shakes usually aren't considered to be "evil" the way the bars are!

I'd wait a couple days and give the shake another try, red. There are so many factors that go into upset stomachs that I wouldn't blame it on the shake until you see it happening in a pattern! Do you use packet Splenda a lot, and have you ever noticed it causing a problem?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 12:30
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Everyone! Thanks . Atlee I only use sucralose in the Isopure low carb shakes or zero carb protein drinks. I don't use Splenda or any other Splenda products. I will do what you suggested.

I have a question. I went to GNC to talk to one of they guys there. He told me whey protein is a form of lactose. Is that true? I am lactose intolerant. I notice a little discomfort when I started the Natural Isopure shakes. Yesterday when I used the Chocolate Isopure shake it was cramping and a little going to the washroom too much and today was the worst. I am wondering if it my lactose intolerance or like you said some sort of sugar alcohol in the chocolate flavouring.

What do you guys think?

Peace
red
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 12:35

Red, I think you nailed it. Whey protein is just that, the milk proteins seperated out of dairy. Maybe, even though you've been drinking these for a while, you are just now having a lactose reaction.

I'd say try soy protein.

I really don't think these have sugar alcohols in them. They would HAVE to label that.

Last edited by Skamito : Fri, May-02-03 at 12:36.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 12:43
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Angela! Gracias ! Whilst I was there he checked out some soy protein shakes with me. Some had aspartame, others had fructose or maltodextrin. So I did not want to use any of them. He also suggested amino acids. The reason why I use the shakes is because I would not get enough protein in without them. At least I think so.

If anyone knows a soy protein shake that I can take without stuff that is not allowed on Atkins. Please let me know.

Peace
red
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 13:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi again red1cutie,

I don't know about Canada but in Britain you can buy 90% soya protein powder which is carb free and lactose free. It comes in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. I use the vanilla one as the flavour is more or less neutral and you can make pancakes with it.

I've never tried making shakes with it, but I can imagine ice cubes, cream, water and protein powder being pretty good (and cheap by the way).

Good luck,

Robert
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I use "todietfor" shakes (chocolate is great). I buy it at health food stores and is also sold at PharmaPlus. It's a Soy shake with no "stuff".

Vikki
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 14:57
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Robert and Vicky! Thanks so much! I will check out the soy shake at pharma plus. Have a great weekend.

Peace
red
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 20:56
Registered Member

Stats: 257.5/237.0/215 Male 6 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Sugar Alcohols

Can someone explain to me what sugar alcohols are? Why do they cause stomach problems? Sucralose does not cause the same problems, right? Just wondering. Thanks.