Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 206/166/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Will I Ever Be Normal Again?

I now know that the low fat diets I used to go on were what made me fat , tired, sometimes depressed, unhappy and the ultimate couch potato. After sleeping for 10 hours I would eat breakfast...a big bowl of white rice and a diet Pepsi. Of course then I would need a nap! Caramel corn, licorice, lots of "wheat bread", low fat chips and brownies, occasional meat and fewer fruits and veggies. When I got depressed about my weight, several Snickers wouild make me fel better for a few moments.
Will it be possible to not have to obsess about food?
My DH will never have a weight problem. Why does he not have to worry about eating Rice Krispies when I know I have to eat oatmeal? Is it my metabolism that is screwed up or my hormones..insulin? Can I fix it?

When I am at my goal weight I plan to eat low GI, lower carb, real foods. I have read several books about LC and GI. It seems to make sense. I need to eat some good fat and protein at every meal and snack. I think if I don't eat all the junkie high carb foods I used to, that I will be able to succeed in keeping my weight at my goal level. I also plan to keep exercising.
The only plan I want to be on is mine. Something I don't have to think about, once I know what works.
Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 17:58
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
The only plan I want to be on is mine. Something I don't have to think about, once I know what works.
Well that's the gold standard, isn't it? I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to obsess, and count, and worry about every bite for the rest of your life, and if you pay attention to what works for your body while you're losing the weight, you should probably be able to craft a maintenance plan for yourself that works without driving you nuts.

BUT -- insulin resistance is what got you where you are and a controlled diet is the only way to "fix" it. Maintenance should be less restrictive than your current weight loss phase -- only time and your body will tell you how much less restrictive -- but I'm afraid you'll never have a carte blanche on carbs -- not even the good, low GI ones. Eating too many carbs for your body will always trigger excess insulin, and all the problems that go with it.

One thing you said makes me curious:
Quote:
When I am at my goal weight I plan to eat low GI, lower carb, real foods.
That's what you should be eating now -- low carb, low GI, REAL food. Plenty of vegetables, appropriate portions of low carb fruit (when your plan allows it), nuts and seeds -- all of these belong on your table during your weight loss phase, as well as afterwards.

Do you mean low GI grains when you say "real food"? They may well be possible for you later on -- they are for many people. But if that's what you meant, I hope you meant "real" is in contrast to the junk food you were talking about, and not to what you're eating now!! Because if you don't perceive yourself to be eating "real food" now, you may need to rethink some things. Probably I just misunderstood, though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 19:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The way I look at it is there are foods I should never eat and I'm fine with that because those foods make me sick in many different ways.

Yes, I do obsess sometimes but it's out of addiction, not desire. I never feel deprived and I don't compare myself to anyone else. I don't micro mange every mouthful because I know the range of foods I can eat for optimum health.

I've been low-carbing for so long that I don't think of what I'm going to eat in the future. I'm very happy with what I can eat right now and it won't make me fat, crazy or in a coma. I am normal now and I wasn't before.

So it's not only about healing metabolism or insulin resistance, it's also the attitude that you wake up with everyday. It has to work with the food.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 206/166/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

RGale,
You are right. I am eating real foods now. I was referring to the junk I used to eat. Instead of a box of flavored rice it will be a small amount of brown rice with lots of vegetables. I will have to see how my body reacts to different foods.
And throw away my sweat pants!
I will always remember how good I feel now, not to mention how good I look!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 04:53
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

When I first started going low carb I was completely obsessed with food. It was all I thought about for several weeks. I have calmed down now and as I find out exactly what does work for me and how I react to certain foods the obsession has gone away. You do learn how to eyeball portions, how much of something you can eat and how many carbs you can consume and still feel good. You learn what you can order when you go out. It is just a time process.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 08:17
Urban Jungle Denizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

The point of most LC plans is to redefine what you consider normal, and to learn a new way of life.

Learn is the key work - once you learn, then you know, then you consider what you do normal - makes sense, doesn't it?

I sometimes am amazed at what I see people eat - because I no longer consider cakes, cookies, soda, potatoes, bread, etc. normal. No matter how many people do it, or how much I've done it myself in the past. It means that I've made a real switch in my head - that should be your goal. When it is no longer an effort to think about what you eat, but you just know what's good for you.

Good luck!