Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default anyone else afraid to exercise?

I am trying to make a commitment to exercise, but something is stopping me. I had all but ignored the exercise forum, but did go and ck it out. It frightened me. I dont think I have the right motivation to do it. Anyone else feel like this? This might not be the right place for this, but I dont want to go to exercise..

Help!

Nanci
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yep, you aren't alone. I am afraid too. Don't know why either.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:14

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 248/219.5/150 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 29%

Sounds like another lazy excuse!!

Don't mean to be harsh, but just get up and move. Dance in your living room for 35-40 minutes, lift can's of vegetables for 3 sets, go up and down stairs a few times. It doesn't have to be a big production.

Good Luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:38

BF:
Default Thanks for the support

Thank you for the kind support, Mystery. That really helped.

Nanci
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:48

BF:

Ok, here goes. Myserys comment to my question was the first time in 7 months that I have heard a put down. I have been called lazy for being overweight before. now I am lazy because I am trying to figure out why exercising is so hard for me. This forum has become quite important to me for all the positive input and caring people. I hope that this is not a trend. I wasnt whining, just hoping for some insight.

Nanci
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 321.5/185.5/160 Male 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 84%

I can't speak for mystery, but some people are more comfortable taking a "tough love" approach to encouragement and motivation. I really don't think you were being called lazy, per se, regardless how the implication may have sounded.

Mystery does make a valid point, though: exercise does not have to be a big deal. Anything you do to get your body in motion is plus, even if it's just taking a leisurely walk around the block or walking up and down some stairs for a few minutes. Maybe you fear change? Maybe you are afraid of weight loss? It really could be any number of things. If you do have an actual fear of exercise, such as a phobia, that physically prevents you from exercising, then you should probably talk to your doctor about it. Personally, I'm a big believer in the "if you put your mind to it" philosophy, but you know you better than anyone else in the world, so I'm sure you'll figure this out yet

Sorry for the generic info, but I sincerely do hope it helped at least a little bit...

Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:17
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi.... I do think that was a bit harsh Mystery.

Anyway... my perception is to take care of yourself everyday. Eating right is a big step and you are learning to care for yourself and your body.

I think as you continue to lose weight and get used to your leaner body you will begin to crave more movement. You will feel good about yourself and want changes to progress.

This is all about consistancy and if you aren't ready or don't want to do it, you will stop doing it and then confirm your negative feelings about yourself.

So I think wait until you are ready and if you feel an urge one day... try something and see how you feel.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:06

Plan: eat fat get thin
Stats: 212/212/128 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started a new goal on Monday (in another thread) to exercise 3x a week and I still haven't!!
I used to love to exercise. I used to run. I did gymnastics. I used to be able to swim a hundred laps. I was also in the Army (15 years ago) and loved every single excruciating minute of boot camp. My definition of exercise is pretty hard core and since I can't do that I haven't really done anything. Sick, huh!
But at this weight I feel so blobby and uncoordinated and my heart pounds alarmingly in my chest when I do begin to do something strenuous/aerobic. It's not that I'm afraid. It actually just bums me out because it is a reminder that I'm so out of touch with my body. I know that this is self-defeating and doesn't help with my goal of regaining my health so I KNOW I have to get over it and just move. Even if that means taking it slow. Other times I've pushed myself too hard and actually have injured myself at the gym. It is frustrating to be so heavy, but this WOL really must include exercise in order for us to fully reap the benefits and be healthier.
I really think Mystery was trying to be encouraging. I'm originally from New Hampshire (I grew up about an hour away from Boston) - and I don't know if this has anything to do with it - (this may sound like a stereotype, but some stereotypes are pretty accurate) but back there we tend to be a little more blunt - a little more dry and sarcastic, back slapping, it's all in good fun kinda blunt. Not intended to be harsh or insulting. When I moved to the West coast, I had to make some adjustments and be a little more careful after realizing I had unfortunately hurt someone's feelings with what I thought was a harmless joke. Regional differences and this is a national forum...
Anyways, let's you and me get out today and take a walk around the block. I'll be thinking of you. Remember, you're never alone!

Kris
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:15
Busty McChacha

Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

exercise is tough but once you start and see and feel the weight coming off even if your scale is not moving it just feels so good!

i cant speak for anyone else but myself but I was lazy. I sometimes am still lazy. You dont get to be 304 pounds by being a go-getter. I'm speaking to myself now. I wasted way too much time being fat and inactive. Im tired of sitting on the side lines while everyone else is having fun. I am down 40 pounds since Feb 4. I dont feel quite ready to hit the local gym but I do exercise at home. I have an XL-Glider and I use that thing for a minimum 35 minutes per work out 5 times per week. somedays i really hate to do it but i can tell you i always feel better afterwards.

Sometimes taking that first step is the hardest.

Another thing to consider is that when you exercise your clothes fit better. You look more pulled together. You can put two people together who weigh the same side by side and i guarantee you the exerciser will look thinner.

so...thats my attempt at touch love. i know it wasnt really realy touch but...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:34

Stats: 244/165/150 Female 5'5"
BF:It is scary!
Progress: 84%

Hi Nancy congrats on your weight lose first of all Start with baby steps thats what I have been doing. I have a 22mnth old son and he watches a show called the wiggles I started dancing with him it is really a fun way to exercise. Last week I have started weight lifting ( I use heavy cans or bottle of water for arm exersices). I have started at 50 crunches last week this week Im doing 100.I'm also doing leg lifts. So just start off slow and keeping doing a little more you will do great!I have been excersing about every other day and for maybe 30mins but it is a start! Keep up the great work! Good Luck!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default it's not a fear thing for me....

It's more of a procrastination thing. I put it off and put it off inthe past...and now that I do it I can't help but think...why didn't I do it sooner?

There's a saying I recently came across and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying so.....

Procrastination is like masturbation...you think you're having a good time but only wind up screwing yourself inthe end.

I've been going in the morning...right after i wake up....put my hair in pony tail and pop my contacts in and head for the gym. I walk on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, depending on the day, go home and shower and head to the office. I really prefer exercising in the morning because I like to relax at home with my family at night. Plus it's easier to talk myself out of exercising when my brain's tired from working all day.

I come to the office and I'm relaxed, can focus better and have been sleeping better at night.

Just give it a chance, start small.....even 5 minutes a day....but start...you'll be soooooo glad you did. I know I am!

Take care and keep it up!!

Nicole
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 11:25

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nanci, I suspect the response that you found harsh may well be an example of something very well meaning being lost in the email shuffle. Sometimes people write things and part of the meaning gets lost due to the medium. That's why many of us use so many darn smilies!

Anyway, I'm not sure if your fear of exercise is related to a physical issue or not. I mean, like a condition that might prevent you from exercising without causing injury. But there are certainly emotional issues we all face regarding exercise.

For instance, you may be hesitant to start a program for fear that you will not be able to keep it up, thus disappointing yourself and possible sobataging the progress you've made. I think I can safely say that we're all striving to break that cycle.

Or it may be that you're already sub-conciously holding yourself back. Many of us have discussed this notion before, that we say we want to be thin and healthy, but along with that comes more interaction with people and people looking at us more. A lot of people get freaked by that idea and sort of self-sabotage to keep from dealing with that.

I'm not suggesting any of those ideas is true for you. But I wanted to throw this out there for everyone to think about.

P.S. I did not exercise for 8 months when I began LCing. I lost 75 pounds. But once I started, I really enjoyed it and I would not want to stop now.

Good luck! Hope this helps a little..

Donald
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 11:52

BF:

Nancy,

I apoligize for offending you. I wasn't calling you lazy. I have just spent time and time again, telling myself that I'm unable to lose weight, unable to eat right, unable to exercise, when I realized I'm just coming up with empty excuses. Lazy or not those excuses are empty.

I'm from NYC - Queens and I happen to be a little blunt. So, I am truly sorry.

Take one day at a time. There will be times when you just don't want to exercise. Just think of those wonderful summer days, wearing your favorite sleevless dress or those shorts you wouldn't have worn if you hadn't lost weight or tone those legs. Those amusement park rides that feel a lot better when you're small. Think of your Docter, who will be pleased not to put you on high blood pressure medicine etc. There are so many pros and only one con. That con being "I'd rather sit here and watch my body grow and remain unhealthy". The pro's out way the con's.

Make a commitment today to do something. Anything!!!!

Have a good day!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 11:54

BF:

Congrad on your current weight loss. You've done well!!

-Take care of U
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 14:48

BF:
Default I have decided..........

not to be offended. Thanks to everyone with insight to the "E" word. Some of it is right on. It was Donald that hit the nail on the head, tho. I dont want to start something that I wont do a good job on, and then feel like a failure. I'm through with that kind of stuff.

I did get off my but today and took a walk and some situps and leg lifts. I even lifted weights (1 liter water bottles). I did it when I was angry, so maybe Mystery2u's kick in the pants was just what I needed.

I am really not a whiny wimp.

Nanci