Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 151/137/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Smile drinks

I'm new and learning everyday!! I'm looking for ideas on beverages - mostly sodas. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

I've seen a lot people on this board raving about Diet Rite - I think it may be sweetened with splenda.

I tend to stick with water.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:49

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've stuck to mainly water since starting this WOE but for a change, I made iced green tea today and it's GREAT! I only used two tea bags instead of the recommended four so I don't feel quite so bad about the caffeine. It's supposed to be good for all kinds of things...and it has kind of a minty-lemony flavor. Very yummy!

Tricia
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:53

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

From what I've heard/read the only sugar-free soda that we should be drinking are beverages with splenda, but even that can cause stalls for some. I never drink anything except a cup of de-caf coffee in the morning until I've had all the water I should be drinking.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:45

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Diet Rite is your best bet for soda; it's sweetended with Splenda instead of aspartame & is caffeine free. There's nothing wrong with drinking things other than water, but remember these don't count towards the 64oz you need to drink daily of water. You can also buy unsweetened Kool-Aid & sweeten it with Splenda, Splenda measures cup for cup the same as sugar. The bottled pre-mixed Crystal Light is sweetened with Splenda too, but the mix is aspartame sweetened. As everyone already said water is best, but it's good to have some flavorful options too.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 17:17

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

When I need a treat, or just a break from plain water, I'll make an Italian soda: club soda, a splash of DaVinci syrup and a splash of heavy cream.

Without the cream it's just a homemade flavored soda anyhow The DV syrups are Splenda-sweetened so they aren't too bad.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 11:37

Stats: 151/137/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

thank you everyone!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Italian Soda .... thank you S_Hysmith

Vikki
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I drink Diet Pepsi and have never had a problem stalling. Yes, it has caffeine and probably other bad stuff. Yes, I know it isn't on Atkin's induction. It is my wol, however and hasn't been a problem.

I do drink a ton of water. Also, I like green tea w/ equal.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 16:18
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

i drink a ton of water, but i have found that i can have a diet coke every now and then and not upset my diet. It is just important to not make soda your only form of hydration, or even a majority of it. i think the only reason people say no soda, is because the know people drink like 8 in a day. that is not a good way to lose weight. having 8 bowls of total in a day would not be a good way to lose weight. my point is that it is hard for many people to be moderate in their eating and drinking habits. therefore people tell others that they cannot have any this, or that. it is just simpler than trusting them to bigest rule in health - do not eat or drink anything in excess. easier said than done, but it is that simple (with excersize)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:33

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default My substitute for soda

I enjoy sparkling water. It has that effervescent kick of pop ( hey, I'm from Ohio ) but yet, it's water. I have to really work to drink water and this helps. I was never big on drinking pop except for the effervescent power.

Black57
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:33

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Diet Hansens... no carbs, no sodium... all spenda - no asparteme....

Great flavors too .....

and Diet Rite too!

all else fails... water with lemon!!

take care,

M-
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:29

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

try FRUIT2O it is flavored water (but not really strong) with splenda. it is great.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:30

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I have just found Diet Iced Botanicals from Talking Rain. Made with Splenda - raspberry, melon, passion peach, kiwi strawberry. Zero everything. I ordered them off of LCDP website for .99/16oz. but I heard that they are at Sams Club too.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 11:45

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

You can try: Diet Rite, Diet RC, Boylan's Diet Root Beer and Diet Birch Beers. I believe, but am not definite that TAB (made by Coca-Cola) is still sweetened with Saccharin.

But, the only one above I know for sure doesn't have caffeine is Diet Rite. The Diet Root Beer is ok. The Diet Birch Beer is so-so...nowhere near as good as the Dark Red Birch Beers I used to get at Loco's when I attended UCF.

You can also make your own drinks...Try getting some Unsweetened Kool Aid and some Stevia Extract Powder. Check to make sure it has NO fillers before getting the Stevia. When making my own drinks, I would avoid using Sucralose or any artificial sweetener for that matter since they contain carbs.

I read somewhere that Sucralose is 24g per Cup. If it is cup-for-cup equivelant to sugar...that is 1.5g Carbs per 8 oz. of Kool Aid. There is a ZERO carb Sucralose. But, it isn't available (to the general public) in the United States. I believe they use it to make pre-canned sodas such as Diet Rite, though.

Stevia w. No fillers should have ZERO carbs. Also, if it is pure Stevia you should only need 3/16 teaspoon to sweeten a drink. I make little packets of Kool Aid and Stevia to put in my water when I eat out. I only need 1/4 tsp. of Kool Aid/Stevia mix for each 12 oz. of water due to the extreme potency of pure stevia. Also, it is cool to note that each 8 oz. of Kool Aid (mixed) contains 10% of your RDA of Vitamin C. I no longer have any trouble making my RDA...since I began making these.

Last edited by cc48510 : Thu, May-01-03 at 11:48.