Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Help me think a little deeper into this Calorie thing!

OK, here is what I understand:

1. You need to consider calories in the Atkins diet. One must burn more calories than one takes in. The Atkins diet is especially helpful because it helps you feel less hungry and keeps calories at a reasonable level.

2. If calories go too low, your body goes into starvation. Metabolism slows down and its very hard to lose weight.

My question is: WHERE is the optimum place to be to lose weight at the most rapid rate possible. I am certainly aware of the 10x-12x your current weight rule. However, there must be a level below that (still not into starvation mode), which will increase the rate of weight loss.

Is there a point between metabolism slowdown and 10x your current weight? Or once you go below 10x your weight, does the body's metabolism slow down right away?

If this is confusing I am sorry. However, I am trying to combine a real eye on my calories with <20 carbs to see what happens. I just do not want to hit the starvation mode (unlikely!).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:21

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I don't think your body will go into starvation mode unless you go under 1,200-1,000 calories. That is what I have read at any rate...not to go under 1,200 calories.

L
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:25

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Ditto Whyspers

It is 1200 and then your body will go into what is called 'starvation mode' which can be a metabolic slowdown of up to 20%- or so I have heard.
The fat fast that is described in the Atkins book for folks who are metabolically resistant to weight loss is only 1000 calories a day-that has always caused me to wonder if 1200 is wrong or if fat makes your metabolism say I am not slowing down?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 07:39

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

OK here are my thoughts on your points:

1. Calories are important to an extent but its more than just calories to consider - carb grams, protein, fat %....all have a factor. I don't believe in Starvation mode UNLESS not only are your calories too low but so is everything else.

I have a very slow metabolism as well (took me 13 months to lose 42 lbs) BUT my best weight loss is at 1400-1500 calories with fat at 65% or more; protein at no more than 90 grams and carbs at around 20. And this I figured out after changing things various times.

So don't assume that the lower you get the faster your weight loss - - not true. Our bodies metabolize different than low fat/low cal diets.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi,

I weighed 260 when i checked last weekend. I'm 6'5'' tall and, according to fitday.com, i burn about 3500 calories a day before exercise.

I swim and run and, on days when i do this, i burn just over 4000 calories (again, according to fitday, which i think estimates a little high).

To be on the safe side i assume i burn less than fitday says i do.

If i was eating 10x my weight i'd be eating 2600 calories a day but i don't. I eat about 1800 or 2000 at most.

The result? I've lost 26 pounds in four weeks.

If i miss a meal, i go for a run to stop my metabolism slowing down due to lack of food.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:22
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Default Just my opinion...

This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

If you want an unhealthy way to lose weight faster there are plenty but most people end up giving up or gaining back when they have been deprived for long periods of time.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

Lisa:

Thanks for the lecture, and I am aware of how weight loss should happen. However, everyone's situation is different. I am getting married in 5 weeks. While I am not fat, I would like to slim down more. I am really working at Atkins and exercising regularly. Anything that will help me lose weight faster will allow me to reach my goal. I think that due to the high-calorie choices in Atkins, I have been eating more calories than I should. However, I do not want to put myself in a position of starvation (again, unlikely to happen as I do like to eat and do not have that much will power).

I would take exception that this diet teaches one to eat right for long-term living. I am certainly aware of the maintenace program. However, the vast majority of Atkin's dieters end up only doing induction, then returning to their previous eating habits (perhaps slowly). For most of the world, Atkins is a quick fix. THere are exceptions of course, and I hope we are part of them.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:41
The evolution of me

BF:

I understand what you are saying here.

I guess the best way to change your body the fastest would be to add exercise then. When people low carb they find that they look leaner faster - adding weight resistance or aerobics would definitely enhance that feature of this WOE.

Although that would mean upping your calories (if you count them). I do personally believe in eating until satisfied and keeping carbs down as my dietary restriction.

Re: your statement that "most people" end up going back to historic eating patterns is probably true of most dieters. All I can say to that after deprevation dieting for over a decade I know that I will always need to watch my food intake and I plan on maintenance as my WOL after getting to goal.

And about most people using Atkins as a quick fix. This is the sad part of people continuing to sabotage their bodies and metabolisms which is why I dole out my "lecture" so often. In the hopes that new people might understand how to take care of themselves in the long term instead of just trying to look good for one occasion or summer.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Thu, May-01-03 at 08:50.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by DCMark

I would take exception that this diet teaches one to eat right for long-term living. I am certainly aware of the maintenace program. However, the vast majority of Atkin's dieters end up only doing induction, then returning to their previous eating habits (perhaps slowly). For most of the world, Atkins is a quick fix. THere are exceptions of course, and I hope we are part of them.

That is the problem of the people doing a very limited form of Atkins (as you have pointed out), not a limitation of the eating plan itself. Atkins does teach long term healthy eating habits.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

For the record,

Although i'm losing weight fairly fast, i've got lots left to lose. Plus i've only been doing this 4 weeks.

As the weight loss begins to slow (just under a pound a day atm - which, according to atkins site, is healthy) i'll drop the number of calories i'm eating to compensate.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:50

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Some thoughts on "starvation mode". Eating one 1000 calorie meal will not put you into this but eating that way for several days will.
I, personally, think that varying the number of calories consumed is OK as long as one doesn't consistently go over the number of calories burned or under the number needed for basic metabolism. If under one will burn muscle.....not good! If over one will gain.
For me, it seems to work best if I keep my calorie level at 10x goal weight. I try for 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.
I usually am around 1300 to 1400 cals.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:53

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Lisa, where did you get the 5% a month approximately after induction? I've not heard that figure before and I'm hoping its WAY wrong!!!! If that is true, it will take me almost two years to lose the remaining 58 lbs. I am trying to lose. I figured a year all told would have me hovering near goal. I don't mind slow, but come on....less than 3 lbs. a month would be a turtle. Even Dr. A's turtle (the lady he described in DANDR as a turtle) lost faster than that...I think she lost around 4 lbs. a month or something like that and took 24 months to lose around 120 lbs. or so. I
don' t have the book in front of me so I don't recall her stats exactly, but even so I'm pretty sure that 5% a month can't be right for your average loser.

L (crossing fingers and praying it isn't right...lol)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:54
Registered Member

BF:

True. I have just become more aware of calories because I found (slight gain) you can eat too much on this diet. So I was wondering where the sweet spot for weight loss is.

Thanks fo everyone's advice. I think adding exercise is always! a good idea, rather than take the food away. But I am trying all options so I can look uber-sexy for my wedding!

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbCA
Some thoughts on "starvation mode". Eating one 1000 calorie meal will not put you into this but eating that way for several days will.
I, personally, think that varying the number of calories consumed is OK as long as one doesn't consistently go over the number of calories burned or under the number needed for basic metabolism. If under one will burn muscle.....not good! If over one will gain.
For me, it seems to work best if I keep my calorie level at 10x goal weight. I try for 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.
I usually am around 1300 to 1400 cals.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:04
The evolution of me

BF:

Whyspers -

I got that information from Nat and other long timers here on the forum.

I am sorry to say that it makes complete sense from all the people I have seen and read about here.

As stated though... you can exercise and up the changes in your body. I personally have been in a scale stall for a couple of months now but continue to lose inches.

So smaller and looking better doesn't always go hand in hand with the scale losses.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:27

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Dr A says...

Doing Atkins without exercising is like riding a bike with a flat tire

He also says that his system is an advantage on the calories in - calories out formula of weight loss.

This is a healthy way to live - no refined foods is always healthy but when it comes to weight loss we all have different needs and goals. I think that what makes this a healthy way to live is that it eliminates unecessary weight which is the most unhealthy thing, secondly it breaks folks of the refined foods-sugar and flour which we never need to consume again.

But when it comes to weight loss and weddings I completely understand. My best friend got married a few years ago...sob its never been the same.....and he had to drop a good 40 pounds for the wedding in 2 months. Well, he did not go on Atkins so to speak but eliminated carbs at night and hired a trainer who put him on a treadmill 5 days a week for something like 1-2 hours. He was like a lab rat but his mother was happy.

There is a balance. Just do this diet with way more exercise and you will lose weight-its either more exercise-which Dr A recommends or restricting calorie intake in accordence with daily needs-calories in calories out formula which Dr A also stresses in the book.

I am sure you will look and more importantly FEEL better for the wedding.